Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Default Where do you buy food grade corn starch and calcium phosphate?

Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

I bought a ton of Baking Soda at Costco
(sodium bicarbonate), and I want to make
a small amount of baking powder.

Baking powder, as far as I can tell, is
baking soda + cornstarch + "cream of tartar"
which is usually either calcium phosphate
or potassium hydrogen tartrate (KC4H5O6).

I went to Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole
Foods, but none had the missing ingredients,
only one of which is required (the cornstarch
is optional but the acid tartrate is not.

Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

Cream of Tartar

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Whitney Ryan" wrote in message
Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

I bought a ton of Baking Soda at Costco
(sodium bicarbonate), and I want to make
a small amount of baking powder.

Baking powder, as far as I can tell, is
baking soda + cornstarch + "cream of tartar"
which is usually either calcium phosphate
or potassium hydrogen tartrate (KC4H5O6).

I went to Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole
Foods, but none had the missing ingredients,
only one of which is required (the cornstarch
is optional but the acid tartrate is not.

Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

Cream of Tartar

Cornstarch is available at any grocery store.

So is cream of Tartar, but if I remember right is seems to cost a fortune
for what it is, and is sold in small amounts. Maybe Smart & Final or
Restaurant Depot, etc. sells in larger quantities for a more reasonable
price.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Whitney Ryan writes:
Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

I bought a ton of Baking Soda at Costco
(sodium bicarbonate), and I want to make
a small amount of baking powder.

Baking powder, as far as I can tell, is
baking soda + cornstarch + "cream of tartar"
which is usually either calcium phosphate
or potassium hydrogen tartrate (KC4H5O6).

I went to Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole
Foods, but none had the missing ingredients,
only one of which is required (the cornstarch
is optional but the acid tartrate is not.

Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

Cream of Tartar

Every grocery store I've patronized carries
both "food grade cornstarch"[*] and cream of tartar.

Check the flour section for the former, and the
spice rack for the CoT.
[*] Used to work on the line bagging starch in 100#
bags. For food grade, we had to wear a hairnet.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message ...
Whitney Ryan writes:
[...]

Just bought some yesterday...
www.argostarch.com
Walmart
15oz
$1.67

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Whitney Ryan wrote:
Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

I bought a ton of Baking Soda at Costco
(sodium bicarbonate), and I want to make
a small amount of baking powder.

Baking powder, as far as I can tell, is
baking soda + cornstarch + "cream of tartar"
which is usually either calcium phosphate
or potassium hydrogen tartrate (KC4H5O6).

I went to Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole
Foods, but none had the missing ingredients,
only one of which is required (the cornstarch
is optional but the acid tartrate is not.

Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

Cream of Tartar

Hi,
Just buy Aluminum free baking power or yeast from a health food store.
No messing around making your own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 3:48:31 PM UTC-5, Pico Rico wrote:
[...]

Yes, that about covers it. It would likely be cheaper to just buy
the baking powder. The cream of tartar is sold like it was an
exotic spice, I think $4+ for a wee little jar that holds maybe two
shot glasses worth. On the plus side, you don't need to use very much.
It's the acid part of the reaction to make gas. With some recipes, if
you know what you're doing, you can replace baking powder with baking
soda and some other acid, eg lemon juice.

Like you say, typical grocery stores here have both the corn starch and
the cream of tartar. She might not be looking in the right places.
Corn starch is usually where the flour and baking products are. Cream
of tartar is with the spices.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2015 3:48 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Whitney Ryan" wrote in message

I want to make
a small amount of baking powder.

Cornstarch is available at any grocery store.

So is cream of Tartar, but if I remember right is seems to cost a fortune
for what it is, and is sold in small amounts.

Yup.

Maybe Smart & Final or
Restaurant Depot, etc. sells in larger quantities for a more reasonable
price.

Yahbut he only wants to amke "a small amoun of baking powder".

Most folks would just buy a can of baking powder but If price is no object there's a recipe or DIY baking powder he
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Substitute-Baking-Powder

"Optionally, you may create and store a powdered baking powder substitute for use at a later date. Combine your cream of tartar and baking soda in a 2:1 ratio as you normally would, then add a quantity of cornstarch equal to the amount of baking soda you added. The cornstarch will absorb moisture from the air, preventing the baking soda and cream of tartar from reacting prematurely."

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Some of us would simplify that to combine your cream of tartar, baking soda,
and cornstarch in a ratio of 2:1:1

Think of all the cumulative time I've saved the folks of the world with that.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Tony Hwang wrote:

Just buy Aluminum free baking power or yeast from a health food store.
No messing around making your own.

I just buy Argo at Albertson's Supermarket. It's on the shelf right next to
the cornstarch

http://www.argostarch.com/products.html

Clabber Girl bought the Rumford label and it's aluminum free too but
slightly more expensive than Argo.

As for cream of tartar, I wouldn't call them health foods stores exactly,
but a couple of local markets have bulk spices that a much less expensive
than those little McCormick jars. Of course, they have bulk baking powder
too. And cornstarch.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Whitney Ryan wrote:
Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

I bought a ton of Baking Soda at Costco
(sodium bicarbonate), and I want to make
a small amount of baking powder.

Baking powder, as far as I can tell, is
baking soda + cornstarch + "cream of tartar"
which is usually either calcium phosphate
or potassium hydrogen tartrate (KC4H5O6).

I went to Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole
Foods, but none had the missing ingredients,
only one of which is required (the cornstarch
is optional but the acid tartrate is not.

Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

Cream of Tartar

Hi,
Just buy Aluminum free baking power or yeast from a health food store.
No messing around making your own.

Just curious -- what is the problem with aluminum in baking powder?

Isaac

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Scott Lurndal wrote, on Mon, 12 Jan 2015 21:35:25 +0000:

Every grocery store I've patronized carries
both "food grade cornstarch"[*] and cream of tartar.

Safeway didn't have either one.
Trader Joes didn't have either one.
Whole Foods didn't have either one.

But, I'll keep trying.
Cream of Tartar should be super cheap given
what it is.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney wrote, on Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:48:29 -0800:

Just bought some yesterday...
www.argostarch.com Walmart 15oz $1.67

The cornstarch is optional, and only really
needed for storage.

If I make the baking powder on the fly,
there should be no need for cornstarch.

What I REALLY need is the powdered acid,
whether it's calcium phosphate or potassium
hydrogen tartrate (KC4H5O6) from wine casks.

There is none of this at Safeway, Trader
Joes, or Whole Foods.

Are you saying that Walgreens has the
powdered acid?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

rbowman wrote, on Mon, 12 Jan 2015 21:41:29 -0700:

I just buy Argo at Albertson's Supermarket.
It's on the shelf right next
to the cornstarch
http://www.argostarch.com/products.html

Where's the powdered acid?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 21:29:16 -0800, isw wrote:

In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Whitney Ryan wrote:
[...]

Just curious. OP, why do you want to make your own baking powder when
they sell it at the grorcery store?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

In article , lid
says...
Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

Cream of Tartar

any supermarket, here; in the baking dept.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-
prices/Home_Baking/Dr_Oetker_Cream_of_Tartar_30g.html

30 g costs about £1 sterling

Janet UK

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

micky wrote, on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 01:24:06 -0500:

Just curious. OP, why do you want to make your own baking powder when
they sell it at the grorcery store?

Why do you have a bag of flour at home?
Why not just buy bread and cake?

Why do you have eggs at home?
Why not just buy your omelets ready made?

Why do you have a bag of sugar at home?
Why not just buy all your cookies at the store?

Have you ever bought the five-dollar bag of
baking soda from Costco? It's the size of a
bag of cement.

If I buy a similar five-dollar five pound
bag of powdered acid, I can make all the
baking powder I want whenever I want.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote, on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 10:55:58 +0000:

30 g costs about £1 sterling

30 grams?
Are you joking?

We're looking for something like five pound bags
of the stuff.

I guess you've never been to Costco.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 6:17:43 AM UTC-5, Whitney Ryan wrote:
micky wrote, on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 01:24:06 -0500:

Just curious. OP, why do you want to make your own baking powder when
they sell it at the grorcery store?

Why do you have a bag of flour at home?
Why not just buy bread and cake?

There is a huge difference in the taste of fresh baked bread
and cake versus store bought, that's why I bake some stuff here.
There isn't any taste difference in baking soda bought or made.

Why do you have eggs at home?
Why not just buy your omelets ready made?

See above.

Why do you have a bag of sugar at home?
Why not just buy all your cookies at the store?

See above.

Have you ever bought the five-dollar bag of
baking soda from Costco? It's the size of a
bag of cement.

Sure, 99% of it goes into the pool.

If I buy a similar five-dollar five pound
bag of powdered acid, I can make all the
baking powder I want whenever I want.

To use you logic, why don't you buy the wheat to make the flour too?
Almost everyone I know does at least some baking, cooking, etc.
I don't know anyone that makes their own cream of tartar, much less
in 5 lb quantities. You think maybe that's why the supermarket doesn;t
carry that size?

And for the record, you didn't say you wanted a 5 pound bag of cream
of tartar. If you had, none of us would say to look in the local
supermarket. You said you couldn't find it at all in the supermarket.
All the rest of us have found it, it's in the spice rack, in a little jar.
costs ~$4. You can buy 10 times as much *baking powder*, already made,
at the same store for less. It performs the same as what you're going
to make, so there goes all the bogus food comparisons you made above.

Also, if you use that much, then you can buy *baking powder* in bulk.
A simple google search shows it's available for as little as $7 for a
5lb bag. A similar search shows that cream of tartar is also available
for ~$7 a pound from various suppliers. What exactly is your problem?

Something is obviously not right here. Someone who would need that
much baking powder, cream of tartar, etc to make screwing around worth
it, surely knows where to find all those products in the local
supermarkets. And enough sense to know that if you want bulk volumes
of them, you can find them at restaurant supply stores, online, etc.
What buffoon would expect to find 5lb bags of cream of tartar in
a supermarket?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 11:17:39 +0000 (UTC), Whitney Ryan
wrote:

If I buy a similar five-dollar five pound
bag of powdered acid, I can make all the
baking powder I want whenever I want.

Do you often talk about making large quantities of a white powdery
substance in alt.home.repair?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C12/C...sh/c-leave.htm
SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE

USES

IN FOOD INDUSTRY:
The main use for SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, is as a leavening agent or acid for mixing baking powders, this is a new product in the baking industry. The SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, has a different performance profile than other leavening agents; it reacts slowly with the Sodium Bicarbonate in the mixing stage, there is only a 20 to 30 % Carbon Dioxide delivery from available. The difference is released during the oven stage.

The SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE also has an excellent buffering action for flour mixes, enhancing the properties of the formula ingredients. When using SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, the product is crunchy and has fine texture. Its use is very generalized.
top

SODIUM ALUMINUM SULFATE

USES

IN FOOD INDUSTRY:
The SODIUM ALUMINUM SULFATE, is a high neutralizing powder leavening agent used in bakery, is slow for reacting in the dough mixing and preparing cycles, even though, it reacts quickly in the oven cycle, evolving most of the Carbon Dioxide, as a reaction product with the Sodium Bicarbonate present in the baking powder formulation. The SODIUM ALUMINUM SULFATE forms a very good dual system with Monocalcium Phosphate in double action baking powders. The SODIUM ALUMINUM SULFATE use , is the best way to enhance the properties of the baking powders, and, at the same time to reduce the formulation costs for baking powders producers.

IN GENERAL:
The SODIUM ALUMINUM SULFATE is used to dye and to print fibers, in the preparation of inks, lacquers, paper, vegetal gum, cement, porcelain, explosives, cement, tannery, water purification, in sugar mills, and also as Ammonia synthesis catalyst.
top

MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE

USES

IN FOOD INDUSTRY:
The most important use of the MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE in the food industry is as the acid component in the baking powders.

A baking powder is defined as the mixture of materials capable to evolve gas in dough preparations, under certain conditions of humidity and temperature, once the gas is present , it expands, increasing the dough volume in such a way that the product has to form many empty cells once baked, due to the presence of Sodium Bicarbonate in the baking powder formulations. The gas evolved is Carbon Dioxide.

If it is used a baking powder having only Sodium Bicarbonate, the final product is yellowish, will have high pH, and it will not be so fluffy as when using with MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE. In the present, the baking powder formulations have a mix of acids or leavening agents, to promote a controlled Carbon Dioxide evolution along the baking cycles, since the dough preparation, to the final part in the oven.

The MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE also works as a pH regulator in the baked product, due to the resulting buffer salts from the fermentation process.

A typical double action baking powder may have 12 % of MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, 30 % of Sodium Bicarbonate, 23 % of Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, 35 % of Corn Starch.

The MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE is also used in the preparation of Phosphated flour, prepared flours and other mixes.

The MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE is used in the powder drinks preparations.

IN GENERAL:
The MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE is used as fertilizer complement, in the opaque glass manufacture, and in the paint preparations for steel enamels. It is also used in the balanced mixes of feed formulas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 2:30:48 PM UTC-6, Whitney Ryan wrote:
Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

I bought a ton of Baking Soda at Costco
(sodium bicarbonate), and I want to make
a small amount of baking powder.

Baking powder, as far as I can tell, is
baking soda + cornstarch + "cream of tartar"
which is usually either calcium phosphate
or potassium hydrogen tartrate (KC4H5O6).

I went to Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole
Foods, but none had the missing ingredients,
only one of which is required (the cornstarch
is optional but the acid tartrate is not.

Where can one buy food grade cornstarch &
calcium phosphate?

Cream of Tartar

http://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk...artar-1kg.html
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Whitney Ryan wrote:

We're looking for something like five pound bags
of the stuff.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/4504...of-tartar.html

If you don't want to purchase it from the web find a restaurant supplier
that may sell it to you.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Ingredient #1: Baking Soda
$5.24 for 13-1/2 pounds, at Costco
http://costcocorner.com/2013/05/arm-...13-5-lbs-5-24/

Ingredient #2: Cream of Tartar (or equivalent acid salt)
$6.81 for 1 pound, at a restaurant supply house
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/4504...of-tartar.html

Ingredient #3: Corn Starch
$2 for 1 pound almost anywhere
http://www.amazon.com/Barry-Farm-Cor.../dp/B00015UC5C

So, for less than $15, the OP can make baking powder, limited
only by the shelf life of the separated ingredients.

I know the baking soda lasts forever (kept dry).
So should the cream of tartar (kept dry).

How long is the shelf life of the corn starch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

By the time you endure the expense of
the ingredients, you'd have been better
tt go buy baking powder at your grocery.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:11:28 -0500:

By the time you endure the expense of the ingredients,
you'd have been better tt go buy baking powder at your
grocery.

Baking powder, at the store, is about $6 per pound.

Baking soda, alone, is five cents a pound.
Cream of tartar is seven dollars a pound.
Corn starch, if used, is two dollars a pound.

So, it would seem that the entire expense of the baking
powder is in the cream of tartar.

Because of that, one would expect grocery store suppliers
to skimp on that particular ingredient, substituting
something cheaper instead.

Do they?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2015 10:07 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Baking powder, at the store, is about $6 per pound.

Baking soda, alone, is five cents a pound.
Cream of tartar is seven dollars a pound.
Corn starch, if used, is two dollars a pound.

So, it would seem that the entire expense of the baking
powder is in the cream of tartar.

Because of that, one would expect grocery store suppliers
to skimp on that particular ingredient, substituting
something cheaper instead.

Do they?

As with any thing, I expect the honest suppliers
are honest, the discount suppliers do that kind
of thing. Nothing is new, under the sun.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 10:07:57 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:11:28 -0500:

By the time you endure the expense of the ingredients,
you'd have been better tt go buy baking powder at your
grocery.

Baking powder, at the store, is about $6 per pound.

Baking soda, alone, is five cents a pound.

IDK where that price came from. Best pricing I've seen
is Costco, where for a big back it's probably more like
50 centa a pound

Cream of tartar is seven dollars a pound.
Corn starch, if used, is two dollars a pound.

So, it would seem that the entire expense of the baking
powder is in the cream of tartar.

Because of that, one would expect grocery store suppliers
to skimp on that particular ingredient, substituting
something cheaper instead.

Do they?

Given that the ingredinet that the OP listed for making
baking powder apparently isn't cream of tartar, I'd say yes.
I think there is more to it than that though, as the other ingredient
that is the acid part is likely what gives it the double
acting ability, where cream of tartar wouldn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2015 3:30 PM, Whitney Ryan wrote:

I bought a ton of Baking Soda at Costco
(sodium bicarbonate), and I want to make
a small amount of baking powder.

You BOUGHT baking soda?

DIY BAKING SODA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking_powder#Substitutes_for_baking_soda
In times past, when chemically manufactured baking soda was not available, "ash water" was used instead. Ashes from hardwood trees contain carbonates and bicarbonate salts, which can be extracted with water. This approach became obsolete with the availability of purified baking soda.

re DIY BAKING POWDER (also obsolete)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking_powder#Single_vs_double_acting_baking_powde rs
"The acid in a baking powder can be either fast-acting or slow-acting.[7] A fast-acting acid reacts in a wet mixture with baking soda at room temperature, and a slow-acting acid will not react until heated in an oven. Baking powders that contain both fast- and slow-acting acids are double acting; those that contain only one acid are single acting. By providing a second rise in the oven, double-acting baking powders increase the reliability of baked goods by rendering the time elapsed between mixing and baking less critical, and this is the type most widely available to consumers today."

For the ingredients in some commercial baking powders see:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/BakingPowder.htm

Baking powder, as far as I can tell, is
baking soda + cornstarch + "cream of tartar"
which is usually either calcium phosphate
or potassium hydrogen tartrate (KC4H5O6).

Calcium phosphate is not CREAM OF TARTAR (KC4H5O6)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_bitartrate
"Potassium bitartrate, also known as potassium hydrogen tartrate, with formula KC4H5O6, is a byproduct of winemaking. In cooking it is known as cream of tartar."
"A similar acid salt, sodium acid pyrophosphate, can be confused with cream of tartar because of their common function as a component of baking powder."

HTH

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Danny D. wrote:

How long is the shelf life of the corn starch?

Until the cabinet beetles find it unless you don't mind a little protein in
the baking powder.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 15:07:24 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:11:28 -0500:

By the time you endure the expense of the ingredients,
you'd have been better tt go buy baking powder at your
grocery.

Baking powder, at the store, is about $6 per pound.

Baking soda, alone, is five cents a pound.
Cream of tartar is seven dollars a pound.
Corn starch, if used, is two dollars a pound.

So, it would seem that the entire expense of the baking
powder is in the cream of tartar.

Because of that, one would expect grocery store suppliers
to skimp on that particular ingredient, substituting
something cheaper instead.

Do they?

Do your cakes rise?

If so, what they sell is good enough. I doubt if Arm & Hammer has
changed its forumula. Those who bake several times a week would notice
and it would ruin their reputation.