Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Nice design

My wife had to rent a car a few days ago. They gave her a 2014 GMC
Terrain with about 27k miles. By time she got back home, the right
front tire pressure warning light was indicating low at 27psi. I
checked the other tires and they were about 32psi, so I put 33psi in
the supposedly low tire.

The pressure sensor is obviously defective. The light (it actually a
2"x3" message box that covers half if it's instrument area) still
remained on indicating 27psi. Other cars have just a small 1/2"
diameter light that can be covered with a piece of tape if you don't
want to let the dealer rip you off with a new sensor. But I guess GMC
caught on to that and wanted to prevent that.

Nice design. Too bad they can't channel their creatively into making
a reliable vehicle.

Have any other manufacturers gone to mega-large useless warning
messages designed to generate revenue for their dealers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/11/2015 08:49 AM, CRNG wrote:
[...]

I would sure hate that.

Last week the "check engine" light on my car went on.

I found that pretty useless as it did not say "what to check on the engine"

Yes, I could spend money and get a module to read the codes...but
since it came on not too long after I got gas...I just tightened the gas
cap.

That was all that was wrong...but it took 24 hours to reset.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Hi,
You can read your OBD II message with simple USB OBD II jack interface.
There are many freeware out there to do this. I have a laptop
to do this. I can even read real time mpg, air/fuel mixture, etc.
while driving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/11/2015 09:32 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
philo wrote:
I would sure hate that.

Last week the "check engine" light on my car went on.

I found that pretty useless as it did not say "what to check on the
engine"

Yes, I could spend money and get a module to read the codes...but
since it came on not too long after I got gas...I just tightened the gas
cap.

That was all that was wrong...but it took 24 hours to reset.

Hi,
You can read your OBD II message with simple USB OBD II jack interface.
There are many freeware out there to do this. I have a laptop
to do this. I can even read real time mpg, air/fuel mixture, etc.
while driving.

Wow, thanks for the great info...
I saw one on Amazon for $5

I should get one to avoid guess work
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
I would sure hate that.

Last week the "check engine" light on my car went on.

I found that pretty useless as it did not say "what to check on the
engine"

Yes, I could spend money and get a module to read the codes...but
since it came on not too long after I got gas...I just tightened the gas
cap.

That was all that was wrong...but it took 24 hours to reset.

Hi,
You can read your OBD II message with simple USB OBD II jack interface.
There are many freeware out there to do this. I have a laptop
to do this. I can even read real time mpg, air/fuel mixture, etc.
while driving.

Wow, thanks for the great info...
I saw one on Amazon for $5

I should get one to avoid guess work

Advance Auto , Pep Boys and AAMCO (and others0 will read the fault
code for free. I am unaware of any that will reset the fault light
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2015 8:49 AM, CRNG wrote:
[...]

That's what happens when the government mandates various "Idiot Lights;"
in order to keep things simple, the manufacturer has an idiot design
them!g

FWIW, most every TPMS I've seen (whether the kind the provides a readout
of the actual tire pressure or merely a low pressure warning) must be
driven a certain distance after you re-pressurize the tire. Varies from
vehicle to vehicle and, most likely, the phase of the moon and your
astrological sign.

If she drove/drives the car a couple miles and the TPMS warning remains
on THEN you have a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 2:09:58 PM UTC-6, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

AutoZone has both read the code and reset it for me. Further, on our
2002 Chrysler, there is a "key dance" technique that will display the
fault codes in the odometer window -- and pulling one of the fuses will
reset the check engine light; perhaps other makes are similar in this
regard.

Perce

Some stores (because of liability) will tell you how to reset the "check engine"...but not do it themselves. (OReilly) I bought a hand-held for $18 that some stores sell for $80.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CRNG wrote:
[...]

Our Japanese brand cars reset the display as soon as air is filled.
Other trouble code needs to be reset by dealer like oil change code.
They reset it after work is done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 3:38:48 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Our Japanese brand cars reset the display as soon as air is filled.
Other trouble codes need to be reset by the dealer, like the oil change code.
They reset it after work is done.

On my GM car (Buick) if you step through gauges (oil pressure, tire pressure, oil interval, etc.) When "oil interval" percentage is shown, you need to hold the "reset" for a much longer time (than others) to get it to reset!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 09:00:23 -0600, philo* wrote:

I would sure hate that.

Last week the "check engine" light on my car went on.

I found that pretty useless as it did not say "what to check on the engine"

It means "check if the engine is there."

Yes, I could spend money and get a module to read the codes...but
since it came on not too long after I got gas...I just tightened the gas
cap.

That was all that was wrong...but it took 24 hours to reset.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/15 9:49 AM, CRNG wrote:
The pressure sensor is obviously defective. The light (it actually a
2"x3" message box that covers half if it's instrument area) still
remained on indicating 27psi.

I've got a Toyota RAV4 that has the tire pressure sensors.

I've got one tire with a -very- slow leak.

If I let it go too long, enough air will leak out (from
31psi to around 25psi) so that the tire pressure warning
comes on.

Refilling the tire does NOT reset the sensor, at least on mine.

I have to use a button on the dash to reset the light, then
hold it in for a period of time until the entire pressure
monitoring system "recalibrates" itself.

After that, it's ok.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 18:43:38 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 09:00:23 -0600, philo* wrote:

I would sure hate that.

Last week the "check engine" light on my car went on.

I found that pretty useless as it did not say "what to check on the engine"

It means "check if the engine is there."

Yes, I could spend money and get a module to read the codes...but
since it came on not too long after I got gas...I just tightened the gas
cap.

That was all that was wrong...but it took 24 hours to reset.

With all the technology we have and all the computer stuff running
modern cars, you'd think they could at least give a little more detail
what the problem is. Even if it's just saying something real basic to
pinpoint the problem.

I never knew a loose gas cap would signal anything on the dash!

I had an old Chevy from 1989 that suddenly broke the speedometer cable
while I was on the highway. A few minutes later the "Check Engine"
light came on, and stayed on till I shut off the car. The next time I
drove it, a few minutes after I started to drive that light came on
again. A few days later I replaced the speedo cable, and that light
never came on again. I later found out there is a sensor in the speedo
head that sends a signal to the engine. With the cable broken, it
didn't work. I never did learn what the signal did, but the car ran
just fine while the cable was broken. And that was an early car
computer, it even still had a carburetor (last year they made them with
a carb). But who would have suspected the speedo cable would trigger
that light.... I only knew the two seemed to happen at nearly the same
time, and I needed to replace that speedo cable anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

CRNG wrote:
[...]

Yeah it's tough, you hold the odometer reset in and turn the key twice, just
like the manual says.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*