Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Water Heater (WH) Pilot

I live in an area where we get high winds. The slope of my roof,
combined with the wind will often extinguish the WH pilot light.

Is there anthing I can install, ala some vent block, that will keep
our WH pilot lit. I am sick of restarting it, often as my wife is
waiting (not so patiently) to take a warm shower?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 17:25:10 -0700, Tony Hwang

I live in an area where we get high winds. The slope of my roof,
combined with the wind will often extinguish the WH pilot light.

Is there anthing I can install, ala some vent block, that will keep
our WH pilot lit. I am sick of restarting it, often as my wife is
waiting (not so patiently) to take a warm shower?

Hi,
Is your vent(chimney} as high as the peak of your roof? If not it
can cause more problem. Also see if you can adjust pilot flame size.

The vent is maybe 12- 14 iches from the roof peak. The pilot is most
ofter extinguished, when the wind is perpendicular to the roof slope.
I susoect that that wind, flowing directly up the roof, tends to then
flow down the vent tube - killing the pilot. I do not see where one
can adjust the pilot flame size. If I can find the HW manual, I will
see if that is an option?

I was unaware of the damper, previously noted by Ed (this thread). I
will also look into that option.

Gas Hot Water Heater Pilot Dave C[_3_] Home Repair 6 November 20th 14 03:30 PM
water heater pilot jet engineman Metalworking 43 February 20th 14 06:16 PM
water heater pilot rick Home Repair 13 July 23rd 07 04:55 AM
Hot Water Heater Pilot Ray DeVoe Home Repair 8 September 12th 06 10:33 AM
pilot going out in water heater Jeff Home Repair 8 June 7th 05 01:01 PM