Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Water Heater Pilot

I am hoping to get some information about a problem I am having with my hot
water heater.

About a week ago we got some water in the basement, and ever since then, the
pilot on my hot water heater goes out every few days.

I have no problems re-lighting it, and it heats the water to the proper
temperature. I didn't know if water can damage the pilot to where it would
need to be replaced, or maybe it's just dirty and needs to be replaced.....

Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray DeVoe wrote:

I am hoping to get some information about a problem I am having with my hot
water heater.

About a week ago we got some water in the basement, and ever since then, the
pilot on my hot water heater goes out every few days.

I have no problems re-lighting it, and it heats the water to the proper
temperature. I didn't know if water can damage the pilot to where it would
need to be replaced, or maybe it's just dirty and needs to be replaced.....

Ray

Water actually rose high enuf to get *in* the pilot??
If so, yes that can damage it. The pilot orifice is
god-awful tiny. It wouldn't take much muck to
clog it a bit.

There are a whole lot of different burner/pilot designs
so how you take it out and clean varies.
If you get it out, my preference would be for compressed
air blown back thru it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello,
Get a stiff, but soft brush and brush the carbon off the pilot stem.
The condensation from the water may be making the carbon soggy.
You need to keep all pilots clean from carbon build-up.
Truly

Ray DeVoe wrote:
I am hoping to get some information about a problem I am having with my hot
water heater.

About a week ago we got some water in the basement, and ever since then, the
pilot on my hot water heater goes out every few days.

I have no problems re-lighting it, and it heats the water to the proper
temperature. I didn't know if water can damage the pilot to where it would
need to be replaced, or maybe it's just dirty and needs to be replaced.....

Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray DeVoe wrote:
I am hoping to get some information about a problem I am having with my hot
water heater.

About a week ago we got some water in the basement, and ever since then, the
pilot on my hot water heater goes out every few days.

I have no problems re-lighting it, and it heats the water to the proper
temperature. I didn't know if water can damage the pilot to where it would
need to be replaced, or maybe it's just dirty and needs to be replaced.....

Ray

Change your thermocouple. After running for a long time then going out
for a while, sometimes they never work right again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I tried to find a pilot to fly my water heater in 1968 and there were
none available. Of course this is 2006 so things may have changed
since then. I'd suggest calling your local airports.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On a serious note.
REPLACE THE THERMCOUPLE....
Problem solved.....

Mark

water heater saga Nonnymus Home Repair 2 June 19th 06 12:34 AM
Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM