Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Hot Water Heater Pilot

I live on the Connecticut shoreline, where we often have significant
winds (and hurricanes).

We have a gas hot water heater. When the winds come, the gusts are
often strong enough to "blow" that pilot light out. Then I get an AH
"Sh**" from my wife as she tries to take a shower and there is NO Hot
water.

Is there anything I can install on the roof vent. to prevent (limit)
those gusts from going down the vent, thereby "killing" the pilot
llight?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C[_3_] View Post
Is there anything I can install on the roof vent to prevent (limit)
those gusts from going down the vent, thereby "killing" the pilot
llight?
Your best bet would be to simply wait until your existing water heater dies and then install a new higher efficiency hot water heater.

Newer high efficiency water heaters will have a motorized baffle at the top of the water heater that closes when the water heater is not firing. The purpose of this is to prevent warm air from rising up the chimney 24/7 and thereby cooling the water in the heater's tank.

And, of course, that baffle will simultaneously prevent air gusts from blowing down the chimney.

You will need 120 VAC power at the location of the new high efficiency water heater, so you might want to run a 120 V cable to that location in anticipation of replacing the water heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2014 08:34 AM, Dave C wrote:
I live on the Connecticut shoreline, where we often have significant
winds (and hurricanes).

We have a gas hot water heater. When the winds come, the gusts are
often strong enough to "blow" that pilot light out. Then I get an AH
"Sh**" from my wife as she tries to take a shower and there is NO Hot
water.

Is there anything I can install on the roof vent. to prevent (limit)
those gusts from going down the vent, thereby "killing" the pilot
llight?

I don't know about that but there very well may be a pilot light
adjustment screw which would allow you to turn it up a bit.

You'd be better off still with an igniter system heater with no pilot light
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave C" wrote in message
I live on the Connecticut shoreline, where we often have significant
winds (and hurricanes).

We have a gas hot water heater. When the winds come, the gusts are
often strong enough to "blow" that pilot light out. Then I get an AH
"Sh**" from my wife as she tries to take a shower and there is NO Hot
water.

Is there anything I can install on the roof vent. to prevent (limit)
those gusts from going down the vent, thereby "killing" the pilot
llight?

Consider getting a flue damper.

http://www.energydepot.com/RPUcom/library/HVAC007.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

terrable wrote:
"Dave C" wrote in message
I live on the Connecticut shoreline, where we often have significant
winds (and hurricanes).

We have a gas hot water heater. When the winds come, the gusts are
often strong enough to "blow" that pilot light out. Then I get an AH
"Sh**" from my wife as she tries to take a shower and there is NO Hot
water.

Is there anything I can install on the roof vent. to prevent (limit)
those gusts from going down the vent, thereby "killing" the pilot
llight?

Consider getting a flue damper.

http://www.energydepot.com/RPUcom/library/HVAC007.asp

A temperature switch in the top half of ther water heater, which sounds a
warning beeper when the water temp gets too low could alleviate the problem a
bit perhaps. Beep sounds - light heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:26:23 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 11/19/2014 08:34 AM, Dave C wrote:
I live on the Connecticut shoreline, where we often have significant
winds (and hurricanes).

We have a gas hot water heater. When the winds come, the gusts are
often strong enough to "blow" that pilot light out. Then I get an AH
"Sh**" from my wife as she tries to take a shower and there is NO Hot
water.

Is there anything I can install on the roof vent. to prevent (limit)
those gusts from going down the vent, thereby "killing" the pilot
llight?

I don't know about that but there very well may be a pilot light
adjustment screw which would allow you to turn it up a bit.

You'd be better off still with an igniter system heater with no pilot light

I've never seen a WH with an adjustment screw to turn up the pilot flame.
It would probably be a good idea to remove the pilot assembly, check the
condition of the orrifice, make sure it's clear, etc.

And depending on the age of the WH, if it's 10+ years old, changing it for
one with electronic ignition, as you say, would solve it. Typical life for
gas WH's seems to be in the 13 year or so range.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 09:34:02 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I live on the Connecticut shoreline, where we often have significant
winds (and hurricanes).

We have a gas hot water heater. When the winds come, the gusts are
often strong enough to "blow" that pilot light out. Then I get an AH
"Sh**" from my wife as she tries to take a shower and there is NO Hot
water.

Is there anything I can install on the roof vent. to prevent (limit)
those gusts from going down the vent, thereby "killing" the pilot
llight?

Thanks, for all of the advise, most appreciated!!

I agree that a new, pilotless model would Solve my problem. As the "
No Pilot" situation typiically occurs 6 -8 times a year and our WH
is now working fine, I will defer until I replace the unit.

I was unaware of the Automatic Flue damper option. I will look into
that option, using the link provided.

Thx

water heater pilot jet engineman Metalworking 43 February 20th 14 06:16 PM
water heater pilot rick Home Repair 13 July 23rd 07 04:55 AM
water heater pilot HankC Home Repair 8 May 18th 07 04:53 PM
Hot Water Heater Pilot Ray DeVoe Home Repair 8 September 12th 06 10:33 AM
pilot going out in water heater Jeff Home Repair 8 June 7th 05 01:01 PM