Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Gas Hot Water Heater Pilot

terrable wrote:
"Dave C" wrote in message
I live on the Connecticut shoreline, where we often have significant
winds (and hurricanes).

We have a gas hot water heater. When the winds come, the gusts are
often strong enough to "blow" that pilot light out. Then I get an AH
"Sh**" from my wife as she tries to take a shower and there is NO Hot
water.

Is there anything I can install on the roof vent. to prevent (limit)
those gusts from going down the vent, thereby "killing" the pilot
llight?

Consider getting a flue damper.

http://www.energydepot.com/RPUcom/library/HVAC007.asp

A temperature switch in the top half of ther water heater, which sounds a
warning beeper when the water temp gets too low could alleviate the problem a
bit perhaps. Beep sounds - light heater.