Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Caps for propane bottles?

My propane bottles (for torch) make me a bit nervous since I have had a few that started leaking. Usually this was the camp-stove type bottles but they seem to use the same sort of valve as the taller torch bottles. Do they sell metal caps for these bottles? I would like to start keeping them all capped as a safety precaution. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote:
My propane bottles (for torch) make me a bit nervous since I have had
a few that started leaking. Usually this was the camp-stove type
bottles but they seem to use the same sort of valve as the taller
torch bottles. Do they sell metal caps for these bottles? I would
like to start keeping them all capped as a safety precaution. Thanks.

It's very unlikely the valve was leaking - unless you've been refilling
them . More likely the bottles got too warm and vented some propane from the
relief valve . Move them to a cooler place and see if it doesn't stop .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/15 2:57 PM, Davej wrote:
My propane bottles (for torch) make me a bit nervous since I have
had a few that started leaking. Usually this was the camp-stove
type bottles but they seem to use the same sort of valve as the
taller torch bottles. Do they sell metal caps for these bottles? I
would like to start keeping them all capped as a safety precaution.
Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Coupler-Pr.../dp/B001AH1DCQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 14:30:26 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Davej wrote:
My propane bottles (for torch) make me a bit nervous since I have had
a few that started leaking. Usually this was the camp-stove type
bottles but they seem to use the same sort of valve as the taller
torch bottles. Do they sell metal caps for these bottles? I would
like to start keeping them all capped as a safety precaution. Thanks.

It's very unlikely the valve was leaking - unless you've been refilling
them . More likely the bottles got too warm and vented some propane from the
relief valve . Move them to a cooler place and see if it doesn't stop .

No, tery - there have been LOTS of them leak at the valve when
removed from an appliance half used. My solution is to only remove
them when empty. The cheap green Coleman cyls have been the worst -
don't think I've had a genuine Bernsomatic leak yet - one or two
"feneric" torch tanks and at least half a dozen Colemeams though.

DEFINITELY leaking from the exit valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 17:52:11 -0500, Retired wrote:

On 1/7/15 2:57 PM, Davej wrote:
My propane bottles (for torch) make me a bit nervous since I have
had a few that started leaking. Usually this was the camp-stove
type bottles but they seem to use the same sort of valve as the
taller torch bottles. Do they sell metal caps for these bottles? I
would like to start keeping them all capped as a safety precaution.
Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Coupler-Pr.../dp/B001AH1DCQ

From a review " using the supplied washer, they can seal a propane
canister better than the original plastic caps."

Aren't the orignal plastic caps still the white plastic caps that do no
more than protect the threads? They don't keep the tanks from
leaking.

Is there a later original plastic cap?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 20:36:16 -0500, micky
wrote:

From a review " using the supplied washer, they can seal a propane
canister better than the original plastic caps."

Aren't the orignal plastic caps still the white plastic caps that do no
more than protect the threads? They don't keep the tanks from
leaking.

Is there a later original plastic cap?

Those plastic caps wont stop gas from escaping. LLike you said, they
just protect the threads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Davej wrote:
My propane bottles (for torch) make me a bit nervous since I have had
a few that started leaking. Usually this was the camp-stove type
bottles but they seem to use the same sort of valve as the taller
torch bottles. Do they sell metal caps for these bottles? I would
like to start keeping them all capped as a safety precaution. Thanks.

It's very unlikely the valve was leaking - unless you've been refilling
them . More likely the bottles got too warm and vented some propane from the
relief valve . Move them to a cooler place and see if it doesn't stop .

Not true. I've had quite a few of them leak after I remove a torch head
or whatever. This more often happens if they were used outdoors in cold
weather. It seems that frost builds up on the valve. If they start
leaking, I take them outdoors and use a nail or something, and press
down on the valve, then let it snap closed. That often stops the leak.
But as soon as I have a leaker, even if I fix it with the nail, I leave
it outdoors. If the weather is bad, I just put a bucket over it.
-OR- I'll put one of my torch heads on a leaker. I have one torch head
that leaks a little when shut off, so I dont use that one.

BTW, these are not refilled bottles.

Senior Member

Here's a company that makes torches for use with propane bottles:

https://www.flameengineering.com/index.php

They sell a "Mini Dragon" torch that's meant to be used with a 1 pound disposable propane bottle. I'd phone them up and see what they'd recommend to use to seal a propane bottle.

The plastic caps on disposable propane bottles aren't just to protect the threads, they're also there to keep dust and dirt from getting onto the seal within the bottle where it could cause the bottle to leak.

Propane Bottle Caps? Davej Home Repair 6 December 4th 11 05:23 AM
Storage of propane gas bottles Janice UK diy 3 June 24th 06 11:22 PM
Difference Between Propane and Butane gas bottles? htmark98 UK diy 20 March 1st 06 09:54 PM
Is there a Gas Log Lighter that uses 1 lb propane bottles? [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 18th 05 05:11 PM
Gas bottles. Chris Bacon UK diy 14 November 16th 05 09:54 PM