Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Caps for propane bottles?

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 14:30:26 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Davej wrote:
My propane bottles (for torch) make me a bit nervous since I have had
a few that started leaking. Usually this was the camp-stove type
bottles but they seem to use the same sort of valve as the taller
torch bottles. Do they sell metal caps for these bottles? I would
like to start keeping them all capped as a safety precaution. Thanks.

It's very unlikely the valve was leaking - unless you've been refilling
them . More likely the bottles got too warm and vented some propane from the
relief valve . Move them to a cooler place and see if it doesn't stop .

No, tery - there have been LOTS of them leak at the valve when
removed from an appliance half used. My solution is to only remove
them when empty. The cheap green Coleman cyls have been the worst -
don't think I've had a genuine Bernsomatic leak yet - one or two
"feneric" torch tanks and at least half a dozen Colemeams though.

DEFINITELY leaking from the exit valve.