Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT TV talking to me

For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?
but what they conceal is vital.
Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2015 8:05 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Check the remote and see if you can find any buttons that you
Normally don't use. One of those might be the reason it got
turned on. Beyond that if you can't find it in the instructions
try going to the menu and going through it item by item to see
if you can find the setting.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

My LG TV's remote control has a dedicated button for CAPTION,
documented in the manual. E.g. "Service 1-5 . . . is only available
for the digital broadcasting system."
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bill Gill
wrote:

On 1/2/2015 8:05 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Check the remote and see if you can find any buttons that you
Normally don't use. One of those might be the reason it got
turned on. Beyond that if you can't find it in the instructions
try going to the menu and going through it item by item to see
if you can find the setting.

Already tried both. The various sound menus don't tell me anything.
Would this be on the TV or on Infinity side?
but what they conceal is vital.
Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 2, 2015 9:30:45 AM UTC-5, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article , Bill Gill
wrote:

On 1/2/2015 8:05 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Check the remote and see if you can find any buttons that you
Normally don't use. One of those might be the reason it got
turned on. Beyond that if you can't find it in the instructions
try going to the menu and going through it item by item to see
if you can find the setting.

Already tried both. The various sound menus don't tell me anything.
Would this be on the TV or on Infinity side?
--

IDK, but this suggests it might be on the cable box side. Not exactly what
you're talking about, but it's similar and recent:

http://articles.philly.com/2014-11-1...-cable-set-top

If the link doesn't work, just google "talking tv for blind".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 2, 2015 8:05:46 AM UTC-6, Kurt Ullman wrote:
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²

SAP? http://myfox8.com/contact/sap-progra...blemsconcerns/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.slack,alt.usenet.kooks

Default TV talking to me

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Yeah, quit buyin' that Jap scrap, dummy.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Don Phillipson" wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

My LG TV's remote control has a dedicated button for CAPTION,
documented in the manual. E.g. "Service 1-5 . . . is only available
for the digital broadcasting system."

Caption is off. But thanks for the attempt.
but what they conceal is vital.
Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 09:05:44 -0500, Kurt Ullman wrote:

For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Look for audio description.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 2, 2015 10:44:16 AM UTC-6, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:

I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground.

Most of us know that about you already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/15 9:05 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Here is what one LG owner posted in a A/V forum.

"We have an LG 32LD490. This afternoon for no apparent reason the
voice over, disability function, audio description came on. Took a
while but worked out what to do. It comes on when volume turned down
to zero. How to stop it; go to Menu, Option, Disability Assistance,
select Hard of Hearing to "OFF", down to Audio Description and select
to "ON", ( here's the important bit) , down to Volume and set to -1,
back up to Audio Description and set to "OFF", then Exit. That'll do
it. I can't see why it has a -1 and lower but luckily I don't have a
disability. Hope it works for you."

Good Luck.........

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.slack,alt.usenet.kooks

On 1/2/2015 9:42 AM, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:
"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Yeah, quit buyin' that Jap scrap, dummy.
LOL

Snakebite Love
--
Punk
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Retired wrote:

[...]

I don't have that Disability Assistance as an option. played with the
spa or whatever that was for the spanish choice, see if that maybe did
it.
Thanks.
Kurt
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2015 2:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Retired wrote:

[...]

It's SAP, I think that means Secondary Audio Program.
It's closed captioning with voice instead of text.
When my computer comes up in that mode, the initial
voice-over tells you, in generic terms, how to turn it off.
I time shift all my TV and play them thru VLC.
I noticed that some programs have SAP, some don't, some
have multiple language streams. And they shift around
in the menu sequence, so I often have to switch audio
streams when I play a different program just to get
back to English. And which language comes up and whether
it has SAP enabled seems to be random.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
It's SAP, I think that means Secondary Audio Program.
It's closed captioning with voice instead of text.
When my computer comes up in that mode, the initial
voice-over tells you, in generic terms, how to turn it off.
I time shift all my TV and play them thru VLC.
I noticed that some programs have SAP, some don't, some
have multiple language streams. And they shift around
in the menu sequence, so I often have to switch audio
streams when I play a different program just to get
back to English. And which language comes up and whether
it has SAP enabled seems to be random.

My dad bought a TV years ago that had something like that. Somehow he got
it in that mode and while the screen show regular programming , the sound
was the weather chanel.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Yiou drank Wayyyyyyy too much on New Years.....
Quit drinking for a week!

If course, if your tv starts to WATCH you, and follows you around the
house, you have a REALLY BIG PROBLEM

I hate it when my TV watches me!!!! lol

---
Some years ago, there was a website that had a picture of a tv screen,
with a moving eyeball on the screen. The eye was supposed to follow you
if you moved. I'll admit, I tried it. It almost looked like it did
follow me, but I watched it for awhile and it's just random movements.
Kind of funny though. I'm not sure if I could find that website
again...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 08:42:49 -0800, "Col. Edmund Burke"
wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Yeah, quit buyin' that Jap scrap, dummy.
LOL

The japs haven't been in Korea since WWII

Go ta hell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Retired wrote:

[...]

That would seem to be an oxymoron of some kind.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2015 6:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's SAP, I think that means Secondary Audio Program.
It's closed captioning with voice instead of text.

That would seem to be an oxymoron of some kind.....

Tell that to a blind person.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 11:42:06 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 1/3/2015 6:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's SAP, I think that means Secondary Audio Program.
It's closed captioning with voice instead of text.

That would seem to be an oxymoron of some kind.....

Tell that to a blind person.

Try reading. He said it's SAP, "closed captioning with voice instead of text".

First, what Kurt has isn't SAP. And SAP is voice converted to text. If
you had SAP and converted it to voice, you'd be back where you started.
Got it now?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote in :

On 1/3/2015 6:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's SAP, I think that means Secondary Audio Program.
It's closed captioning with voice instead of text.

That would seem to be an oxymoron of some kind.....

Tell that to a blind person.

What, you think a blind person needs some sort of assistive technology to hear the audio
portion of a normal television broadcast?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

mike wrote in :

On 1/3/2015 6:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's SAP, I think that means Secondary Audio Program.
It's closed captioning with voice instead of text.

That would seem to be an oxymoron of some kind.....

Tell that to a blind person.

What, you think a blind person needs some sort of assistive technology to
hear the audio
portion of a normal television broadcast?

In this case, the vocal closed captioning does thing like (for Bones)
"Cam enters the room and approaches the autopsy table." or "Dr. Hodgins
pulls on the lever with a big grin on his face". F
but what they conceal is vital.
Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/15 1:33 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

mike wrote in :

On 1/3/2015 6:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's SAP, I think that means Secondary Audio Program.
It's closed captioning with voice instead of text.

That would seem to be an oxymoron of some kind.....

Tell that to a blind person.

What, you think a blind person needs some sort of assistive technology to
hear the audio
portion of a normal television broadcast?

In this case, the vocal closed captioning does thing like (for Bones)
"Cam enters the room and approaches the autopsy table." or "Dr. Hodgins
pulls on the lever with a big grin on his face". F

What Kurt seems to be hearing is called "Descriptive Video Service"

It uses the SAP channel to deliver an audio description of the video
image as an assist to blind people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descriptive_Video_Service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_audio_program

His issue is figuring out how to turn it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 1:33:58 PM UTC-5, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

mike wrote in :

On 1/3/2015 6:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's SAP, I think that means Secondary Audio Program.
It's closed captioning with voice instead of text.

That would seem to be an oxymoron of some kind.....

Tell that to a blind person.

What, you think a blind person needs some sort of assistive technology to
hear the audio
portion of a normal television broadcast?

In this case, the vocal closed captioning does thing like (for Bones)
"Cam enters the room and approaches the autopsy table." or "Dr. Hodgins
pulls on the lever with a big grin on his face". F
--

Did you see my post, where I referred you to the Xfinity press release?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:33:58 PM UTC-6, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

mike wrote in :

On 1/3/2015 6:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's SAP, I think that means Secondary Audio Program.
It's closed captioning with voice instead of text.

That would seem to be an oxymoron of some kind.....

Tell that to a blind person.

What, you think a blind person needs some sort of assistive technology to
hear the audio
portion of a normal television broadcast?

In this case, the vocal closed captioning does thing like (for Bones)
"Cam enters the room and approaches the autopsy table." or "Dr. Hodgins
pulls on the lever with a big grin on his face". F
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Aaron Levenstein

I think the confusion lies in terminology: captioning is text and Second Audio Program is just that, audio. And it has little (if any) to do with "speech to text" technology.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

mike wrote in :

[...]

Hi,
In my case the voice seems over riding my setting in the Motorola STB.
TV set is Panasonic HD plasma. Depending on program voice is coming
through even if CC is disabled. Only text gets always disabled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Hi,
When I Googled "direct vent 2 stage natural gas furnace" I got many hits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 16:08:44 -0500, Retired wrote:

On 1/2/15 9:05 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Here is what one LG owner posted in a A/V forum.

"We have an LG 32LD490. This afternoon for no apparent reason the
voice over, disability function, audio description came on. Took a
while but worked out what to do. It comes on when volume turned down
to zero.

This is a good idea. I'm tired of doctors' waiting rooms, tire stores,
restaurants, where the tv is on but you don't know what they're saying.
Though I think they keep the volume one notch above zero just to tease
people.

How to stop it; go to Menu, Option, Disability Assistance,
select Hard of Hearing to "OFF", down to Audio Description and select
to "ON", ( here's the important bit) , down to Volume and set to -1,
back up to Audio Description and set to "OFF", then Exit. That'll do
it. I can't see why it has a -1 and lower

Isn't that for when viewers yell at the tv?

but luckily I don't have a
disability. Hope it works for you."

Good Luck.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

There was a special version of Sound of Music broadcast a couple weeks
ago. A narrator read the captions, produced by, starrring.. etc. and
also described what was happening on the screen, as if the show was for
adapted for blind people. She had a soft, distinctive, that is,
recognizeale voice.

At the same time, for the songs, it was like Mitch Miller. The lyrics
of the song came on as subtitles one line at a time, with the word being
sung in a different color. (No bouncing ball.) Obviously not for
blind people. The did hoopla in advance and I ony heard the tail end but
I think you were supposed to invite a bunch of people over and sing
along with the movie.

Is there much singing in Bones? Did the narrative describe each
incision?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 12:05:09 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me.
It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does
play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam
enters the room and goes to the autopsy table.
Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it
would take it away. Any suggestions?

Hi,
When I Googled "direct vent 2 stage natural gas furnace" I got many hits.

I think you replied to the wrong posting!!!