Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kerosene in a plastic gasoline can

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 18:44:01 +0000, April
wrote:

replying to mycomputer3, April wrote:
mycomputer3 wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2010 01:29:06 +0000,
Kero should go in a blue or gray can. Red is for gas. However, in a
bind, you can use a red can without the kero causing the plastic to
decay or melt. Gasoline is actually more destructive to plastics than
kero. For example, never put gas in a styrofoam cup because the cup
will melt in seconds. I have never out kero in a styrofoam cup, and
would not recommend it, but I have a feeling it would not melt as
quickly.
With that said, it's NOT LEGAL to put Kero in a red can, but if you
must do it in an emergency, at least write KEROSENE on the can with a
permanent marker, or affix some labelled paper with tape.
PS. I have a YELLOW gas can I got at an auction. Does anyone know
what yellow is for? There is no label. I was going to just spray
paint it red, but never done it yet.

RED: gasoline
BLUE: kerosene
YELLOW: diesel

I learned this while researching if I can put kerosene into a gasoline
container. I use an indoor kerosene heater to heat my home and I wanted
to purchase one of those fuel pump canisters that hold about 14 gallons at
a time. For some reason, the "diesel" fuel containers are a lot more
expensive than the gasoline ones, so I was trying to figure out why.

Nato Spec red is Gasoline,Yellow is Diesel Dark blue is Kero, Light
Blue is WATER

If you are in the UK, leaded (4 star) gas is red, Unleaded is grean,
and diesel is black.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/01/2015 12:44 PM, April wrote:

With that said, it's NOT LEGAL to put Kero in a red can, but if you
must do it in an emergency, at least write KEROSENE on the can with a
permanent marker, or affix some labelled paper with tape.
PS. I have a YELLOW gas can I got at an auction. Does anyone know
what yellow is for? There is no label. I was going to just spray
paint it red, but never done it yet.

RED: gasoline
BLUE: kerosene
YELLOW: diesel

It's only the wondrous State of California thru their octopus CARB that
defines the color coding. CA is large enough it then becomes a de facto
standard, but there's no binding requirement anywhere than in CA.

US DOT, EPA, OSHA care not a whit about color, only the various pieces
of transportation safety design, workplace and environmental for the others.

A color coding isn't a bad thing but it's not mandated other than by CA...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/consprod/fuel-containers/pfc/pfc.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

I don't see anything about color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

NEVER mix nt of gasoline with kerosene. EXTREME EXPLOSION HAZARD!

The amish around PA use kerosene for lamps etc.

Somewhere in the supply chain a mistake was made The mostly kerosene had a small amount of gasoline in it.......

Some amish died from exploding kerosene lamps.

Be smart and dont mix fuels or can colors, its just not worth the risk!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

RED: gasoline
BLUE: kerosene
YELLOW: diesel

I learned this while researching if I can put kerosene into a gasoline
container. I use an indoor kerosene heater to heat my home and I wanted
to purchase one of those fuel pump canisters that hold about 14 gallons at
a time. For some reason, the "diesel" fuel containers are a lot more
expensive than the gasoline ones, so I was trying to figure out why.

I have a 5 gallon YELLOW can for Diesel, which I no longer use, since I
traded in my diesel tractor for a gas model. (the fuel was always
gelling up in cold weather, even with additives). But aside from the
color, the container is made identical to a red gas can. Kero is almost
identical to diesel, just cleaner burning due to more refining.

Kero will not harm a plastic gas can. However, some places may refuse
to fill a RED can. (I suppose you could paint it blue???).

I used to store Kero in a plastic one gallon milk bottle. That plastic
was not harmed. NOT LEGAL to fill by a seller, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 15:16:18 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

NEVER mix nt of gasoline with kerosene. EXTREME EXPLOSION HAZARD!

Not true, unless you use the mixture in place of Kerosene.

The amish around PA use kerosene for lamps etc.

And some of their lamps also run on methyl Hydrate (or even ethanol),
and some on Naptha or "white gas".

The atmospheric pressure "wick" lamps run kero or lamp oil. The
pressurised mantle lamps run "white gas" and the aladdins run Kero.
Petrmax lanterns are pressure mantle lamps than can be run on alcohol,
as could some Primus and Radius lanterns and lamps.

Somewhere in the supply chain a mistake was made The mostly kerosene had a small amount of gasoline in it.......

Some amish died from exploding kerosene lamps.

Be smart and dont mix fuels or can colors, its just not worth the risk!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/01/2015 4:31 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
wrote in message ...

It's only the wondrous State of California thru their octopus CARB that
defines the color coding. CA is large enough it then becomes a de facto
standard, but there's no binding requirement anywhere than in CA.

US DOT, EPA, OSHA care not a whit about color, only the various pieces of
transportation safety design, workplace and environmental for the others.

A color coding isn't a bad thing but it's not mandated other than by CA...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/consprod/fuel-containers/pfc/pfc.htm

I don't see anything about color.

OK, I hadn't looked directly at the higher-level link; figured the CP
doc would be prominent but gotta' look a little.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/pfc/2005/cp501.pdf&sa=U&ei=H_-lVJnvLMP3yQSVuYCoAw&ved=0CAYQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFyyZwBwVHxyTTNoaRzG2ryoLJxyw

I'm not sure (not being in CA) how they proceeded from the 2005
document; it appears various pieces have been turned into actual
regulations somewhat piecemeal instead of the whole thing in one swell
foop...but there's where the color codes originated, whatever their
actual legal status may be...

Posted to alt.home.repair

As far as coleman mantles - I only buy the coleman GOLD mantles. About
twice the cost of the standard mantle but they are much more durable.
I used to replace a few mantles a year when camping untill I started
buying the gold mantles - now they go for YEARS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 16:13:38 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 01/01/2015 12:44 PM, April wrote:

With that said, it's NOT LEGAL to put Kero in a red can, but if you
must do it in an emergency, at least write KEROSENE on the can with a
permanent marker, or affix some labelled paper with tape.
PS. I have a YELLOW gas can I got at an auction. Does anyone know
what yellow is for? There is no label. I was going to just spray
paint it red, but never done it yet.

RED: gasoline
BLUE: kerosene
YELLOW: diesel

It's only the wondrous State of California thru their octopus CARB that
defines the color coding. CA is large enough it then becomes a de facto
standard, but there's no binding requirement anywhere than in CA.

US DOT, EPA, OSHA care not a whit about color, only the various pieces
of transportation safety design, workplace and environmental for the others.

What happens if you need gas, walk to a gas station with say, an
antifreeze bottle, maybe yellow for Prestone, and before anyone notices,
fill it with a gallon of gasoline, paid for by credit card in the pump.
Is anyone going to try to stop you before you leave? A policeman who
notices just after you finish filling?

A color coding isn't a bad thing but it's not mandated other than by CA...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/consprod/fuel-containers/pfc/pfc.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2015 2:09 AM, micky wrote:

What happens if you need gas, walk to a gas station with say, an
antifreeze bottle, maybe yellow for Prestone, and before anyone notices,
fill it with a gallon of gasoline, paid for by credit card in the pump.
Is anyone going to try to stop you before you leave? A policeman who
notices just after you finish filling?

Need more information. Are you black?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2015 2:11 AM, micky wrote:

I used to store Kero in a plastic one gallon milk bottle. That plastic
was not harmed. NOT LEGAL to fill by a seller, though.

I have 32 ounces stored in a clear plastic apple juice bottle, for the
last 5 years. Hasn't leaked yet.

What does a man do with a quart of kero?
Clean motor bearings? Heat a tent?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 2, 2015 8:03:55 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/2/2015 2:09 AM, micky wrote:

What happens if you need gas, walk to a gas station with say, an
antifreeze bottle, maybe yellow for Prestone, and before anyone notices,
fill it with a gallon of gasoline, paid for by credit card in the pump.
Is anyone going to try to stop you before you leave? A policeman who
notices just after you finish filling?

Need more information. Are you black?

Now that was a good one Stormin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2015 10:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Is anyone going to try to stop you before you leave? A policeman who
notices just after you finish filling?

Need more information. Are you black?

Now that was a good one Stormin.

My year is off to a better start. Thank you.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
What happens if you need gas, walk to a gas station with say, an
antifreeze bottle, maybe yellow for Prestone, and before anyone notices,
fill it with a gallon of gasoline, paid for by credit card in the pump.
Is anyone going to try to stop you before you leave? A policeman who
notices just after you finish filling?

Three cops jump you and strangle you to death. Just like they did the
person selling single cigaretts. They won't go after the big crime, just
the little fellows.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 08:48:43 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

What does a man do with a quart of kero?
Clean motor bearings? Heat a tent?

Wash his hands to remove grease & grime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/2/2015 2:11 AM, micky wrote:

I used to store Kero in a plastic one gallon milk bottle. That plastic
was not harmed. NOT LEGAL to fill by a seller, though.

I have 32 ounces stored in a clear plastic apple juice bottle, for the
last 5 years. Hasn't leaked yet.

What does a man do with a quart of kero?
Clean motor bearings? Heat a tent?

I used the other half gallon to clean a motorcycle gas tank inside.
Hadn't been ridden since 1979 iirc.

Oh yeah, I also have a cast iron "dish", 3x8", 2" tall with a porous
brick inside, and you pour kerosene on that and use itto start a wood
fire in the fireplace. Works quite well. But sometimes I just use
newspapers, and I don' t have that many fires, so the kerosene will last
a long time.

I might have also saved the dirty half gallon for starting the
fireplace. What does it matter if it's dirty or not.
-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What does a man do with a quart of kero?
Clean motor bearings? Heat a tent?

Wash his hands to remove grease & grime.

For that I like waterless cleaner in a tube or can, or Boraxo powdered
hand cleaner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What does a man do with a quart of kero?
Clean motor bearings? Heat a tent?

Wash his hands to remove grease & grime.

For that I like waterless cleaner in a tube or can, or Boraxo powdered
hand cleaner.

Sure. Today we have citrus based hand cleaner. I use it. Back in the
day we were poor folk and paid less than 25 cents for a gallon of
kerosene.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2015 9:22 PM, Oren wrote:
What does a man do with a quart of kero?
Clean motor bearings? Heat a tent?

Wash his hands to remove grease & grime.

For that I like waterless cleaner in a tube or can, or Boraxo powdered
hand cleaner.

Sure. Today we have citrus based hand cleaner. I use it. Back in the
day we were poor folk and paid less than 25 cents for a gallon of
kerosene.

Industrial guys used to use carbon tetrachloride
for cleaning hands. Later, we learned it is wicked
toxic. Oops. Known, to the State of California, to
cause cancer.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

Wash his hands to remove grease & grime.

For that I like waterless cleaner in a tube or can, or Boraxo powdered
hand cleaner.

Sure. Today we have citrus based hand cleaner. I use it. Back in the
day we were poor folk and paid less than 25 cents for a gallon of
kerosene.

I have not looked at what is in it, but the GO-JO smells like it is soap and
kerosene. That is used to clean the hands.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 13:12:14 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .

Wash his hands to remove grease & grime.

For that I like waterless cleaner in a tube or can, or Boraxo powdered
hand cleaner.

Sure. Today we have citrus based hand cleaner. I use it. Back in the
day we were poor folk and paid less than 25 cents for a gallon of
kerosene.

I have not looked at what is in it, but the GO-JO smells like it is soap and
kerosene. That is used to clean the hands.

ISTR years ago GO JO had lanolin for hand cleaning. Some hand cleaners
had pumice, too. I'm now using _Fast Orange_ citrus based hand cleaner
with aloe, lanolin & glycerin - contains no solvents. Permatex makes
it. Smells like oranges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message

Wash his hands to remove grease & grime.

For that I like waterless cleaner in a tube or can, or Boraxo powdered
hand cleaner.

Sure. Today we have citrus based hand cleaner. I use it. Back in the
day we were poor folk and paid less than 25 cents for a gallon of
kerosene.

I have not looked at what is in it, but the GO-JO smells like it is soap and
kerosene. That is used to clean the hands.

ISTR years ago GO JO had lanolin for hand cleaning. Some hand cleaners
had pumice, too. I'm now using _Fast Orange_ citrus based hand cleaner
with aloe, lanolin & glycerin - contains no solvents. Permatex makes
it. Smells like oranges.

Lately, I've been using WD40 as a hand cleaner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller posted for all of us...

NEVER mix nt of gasoline with kerosene. EXTREME EXPLOSION HAZARD!

The amish around PA use kerosene for lamps etc.

Somewhere in the supply chain a mistake was made The mostly kerosene had a small amount of gasoline in it.......

Some amish died from exploding kerosene lamps.

Be smart and dont mix fuels or can colors, its just not worth the risk!!

Cite please.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2015 5:56 PM, bob haller wrote:
it happened some amish died, and I learened amish are allowed to have internet and fax machines along with electric in their businesses but not their homes.

learned this when news reported the amish were being notified by e mail and fax. I was very surprised

Q: What goes clip-clop-clip-clop-clip-clop-bang-bang-bang?

A: An Amish drive-by shooting.