Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

"Terry Coombs" wrote:
wrote:
I saved this info for when I have time for doing this. This is not
from me but just info I had collected.

If you want to do it right, I can suggest a decent setup.

Get a good Technics turntable.
The SL-1200 series is a good unit and easy to find.

Ya reckon a JVC JLB31 direct drive tt will work ? I'll have to look when I
get my stuff up here to see if I have a pre-out on my main tuner/amp ...
this tt tracks at less than a gram . When I bought this unit in the late
70's it was state of the art , and my wife was ****ED because I spent over
300 bucks for it . AFAIK the only better tt's were the linear tracking units
, and they were way ouf of my reach .

Whatever you use, it has to work right. Older electronics can deteriorate.
The cartridge and tracking is essential. I got bunches of stuff with belts,
and they will go bad. The good, direct drive has no belts. Sometime you can
get ground loops into the computer causing hum. Some of these USB
interfaces may have isolation to prevent hum.

Point is, I got tons of equipment laying around. Some not used for years. I
got to get out the stuff and listen with good speakers or headphone to make
sure everything sounds right, before I would attempt transferring. The arm
on the turntable can get sticky.

The best turntables are usually belt driven. if I were transferring, I
would use a record clamp. I sold my old Thorens turntable many years ago
for about $300. The SME arm was darn near $300 used. still got a dual, ar,
and pioneer laying around, which I know would require work to get them
going right.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Darn pretty setup, with SME and record clamp like this..

http://vinylnirvana.com/wp-content/uploads/0099.jpg

Greg