Junior Member

Question Ink Jet Transfer - how to

Does anyone know how to transfer an ink-jet printer image onto wood. I would like to "Iron on" a printed image about 4" x 6" onto rock maple.
Mike in Arkansas

search this group for the word 'transfer'. there has been several posts in the
last few days about transfering images to paper or wood.
Mike in Arkansas

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:57:40 +0000, clare in brampton
wrote:

Does anyone know how to transfer an ink-jet printer image onto wood. I
would like to "Iron on" a printed image about 4" x 6" onto rock maple.

Flatten the maple really well and use iron-on transfer material from
your local office supply store.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Bobby Bewl ®

"GALBAN" wrote in message
Cla

I've never tried this on wood, but I imagine it would work. Try one of the
image transfer papers that are used to make T-shirts.

See:
http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=...de=10210964&ca
talogcode=WEB01

I found this locally at Office Max last year:
http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...?BV_UseBVCooki
e=yes&expansionOID=-536881148&prodBlockOID=50290

Let us know how it works

If you have difficulty with those 2 links, then click on the shorten
versions:

http://tinyurl.co.uk/a9jo
http://tinyurl.co.uk/64h7

Bobby

John

clare in brampton wrote:
Does anyone know how to transfer an ink-jet printer image onto wood. I
would like to "Iron on" a printed image about 4" x 6" onto rock maple.

I've had success with "T"shirt iron on transfers. Just keep the iron
moving so as not to scorch the wood.
Have a good one
John

Tyke

The T shirt transfer paper will likely work but be aware :
a) Minimize the "blank" area. This paper does not transfer the ink, but
rather melts a plastic film which contains the ink, onto the T shirt or in
this case wood. Any blank area from the paper will then melt onto the wood,
which will hamper staining/finishing. I would cut out as close to the image
as possible using an Xacto type of knife.
b) If you are finishing the wood, do a test to see if this material is
melted by the solvents in the finish.
c) Another reason for testing is to see if the resultant colours are to
your liking. Pigment based inks, such as ink jet ink, are designed to be
used on white material. Even grey paper causes a major shift in the
apparent colour of the inks, which can make an image appear very
undesirable. Although maple is "cream" it will still result in some colour
shift.

Dave Paine.

"clare in brampton" wrote in
message .. .

--
clare in brampton

Doug Miller

In article , clare in brampton wrote:

Does anyone know how to transfer an ink-jet printer image onto wood. I
would like to "Iron on" a printed image about 4" x 6" onto rock maple.

Sure, as long as you're talking about black-and-white line art -- use any
decent computer graphics package to reverse the image. Then print out the
reversed image on your inkjet, and photocopy it. Then iron-on the photocopy.

--
Regards,

Stewart Schooley

clare in brampton wrote:

Does anyone know how to transfer an ink-jet printer image onto wood. I
would like to "Iron on" a printed image about 4" x 6" onto rock maple.

Go to an Internet art supplier and type transfer in the search engine.
Try this one.
http://www.dickblick.com/

I don't know anything about any of the things offered. I don't know how
they act when finish is applied over them.

Also do an Internet search on lazertran. It looks interesting.

If you're looking for the cheapest way to do a decal where you can go to
a hobby store and buy one individual decal sheet instead of bulk from
the Internet, see my recent post about using decals to transfer images
to wood or metal.

Stewart

Transfer Tool MarcColten Woodworking 9 November 30th 04 08:41 PM
NEC & Transfer Switch mounting Dave Morrison Home Repair 4 November 17th 04 04:06 PM
Code & Transfer Switch Dave Morrison Home Repair 2 November 17th 04 01:51 PM
NEC & Transfer Switch mounting Dave Morrison Home Repair 2 November 17th 04 12:25 AM
help selecting a manual transfer switch wahzoo Home Repair 13 December 13th 03 01:50 AM