Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patio Door

In our Family Room we have a Pella 8' slider about 17+ years old. The
stationary side is in perfect condition, but the moving half has some
rot in the bottom panel. Not sure how bad it is, but where the wheels
fits it cannot be adjusted and that end is dragging. The aluminum
front panel is coming off, but since it is cold I don't want to go
tearing into it just yet.

Couple of questions and observations.
Aluminum cladding looks nice but can hide problems
A good door should have a much longer life
Should I even consider Pella again?
We have a Marvin distributor in the next town. How good is Marvin?
This is on the north side so it never gets direct sun. Aside from
insulated glass, does any of the low E stuff do better?

Other thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:41:33 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
In our Family Room we have a Pella 8' slider about 17+ years old. The
stationary side is in perfect condition, but the moving half has some
rot in the bottom panel. Not sure how bad it is, but where the wheels
fits it cannot be adjusted and that end is dragging. The aluminum
front panel is coming off, but since it is cold I don't want to go
tearing into it just yet.

Couple of questions and observations.
Aluminum cladding looks nice but can hide problems
A good door should have a much longer life
Should I even consider Pella again?
We have a Marvin distributor in the next town. How good is Marvin?
This is on the north side so it never gets direct sun. Aside from
insulated glass, does any of the low E stuff do better?

Other thoughts?

Most often rot is caused by water failing to drain away.
I'd take a good look at it and see if it's salvagable. If it's not
seriously compromised, removing the rot, followed by treating with
anti-freeze, then wood hardner and/or filler can often make it good
for a long time again. If it requires structural strength because of
the rollers, etc, then an epoxy filler is appropriate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2014 10:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
In our Family Room we have a Pella 8' slider about 17+ years old. The
stationary side is in perfect condition, but the moving half has some
rot in the bottom panel. Not sure how bad it is, but where the wheels
fits it cannot be adjusted and that end is dragging. The aluminum
front panel is coming off, but since it is cold I don't want to go
tearing into it just yet.

Couple of questions and observations.
Aluminum cladding looks nice but can hide problems
A good door should have a much longer life
Should I even consider Pella again?
We have a Marvin distributor in the next town. How good is Marvin?
This is on the north side so it never gets direct sun. Aside from
insulated glass, does any of the low E stuff do better?

Other thoughts?

Much depends on the frame material...fiberglass, wood, vinyl, aluminum
or wood clad.

Much also depends on the glass spacing and filling. Most windows now
come with two panes filled with argon gas and they offer three panes,
but is considered a bit overkill. These panes can also come in 3/4" to 1
1/4" (I think) between them which can aid in insulated value.

Low-E is basically standard on all windows and sliding doors and adds a
great deal of efficiency.

It's best to consider the overall U-value, R-value and Solar heat gain
coefficient of the window/door. The lower the u-value (0.20 to 1.20) the
better the efficiency, the higher the R-value the better and the lower
the SHGC (0 to 1) the better. Much also depends on your geographical region.

Marvin and Pella still make outstanding products, but they have faults
in some of their other series. There are other manufacturers such as
Anderson, Simonton, Weather Shield, Reliabilt, Ply Gem and more who
have good and bad products as well. Read up and compare them all.

Overall, even the best window or door money can buy isn't worth a dime
if not installed properly. At the same standpoint, even a cheaper window
or door will be sufficient when installed properly. Therefore, do it
right or find a reputable installer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2014 10:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
In our Family Room we have a Pella 8' slider about 17+ years old. The
stationary side is in perfect condition, but the moving half has some
rot in the bottom panel. Not sure how bad it is, but where the wheels
fits it cannot be adjusted and that end is dragging. The aluminum
front panel is coming off, but since it is cold I don't want to go
tearing into it just yet.

Couple of questions and observations.
Aluminum cladding looks nice but can hide problems
A good door should have a much longer life
Should I even consider Pella again?
We have a Marvin distributor in the next town. How good is Marvin?
This is on the north side so it never gets direct sun. Aside from
insulated glass, does any of the low E stuff do better?

Other thoughts?

Pella & Andersen are well known because they spend millions on
marketing. Both are at the bottom of the quality list. Marvin is
ho-hum, but after the sale, they fade away.

Provia is at the top, and you will pay for it. Polaris is also a well
regarded door, but is available to contractors only. If you want
service after the sale, Polaris is the way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
In our Family Room we have a Pella 8' slider about 17+ years old. The
stationary side is in perfect condition, but the moving half has some
rot in the bottom panel. Not sure how bad it is, but where the wheels
fits it cannot be adjusted and that end is dragging. The aluminum
front panel is coming off, but since it is cold I don't want to go
tearing into it just yet.

Couple of questions and observations.
Aluminum cladding looks nice but can hide problems
A good door should have a much longer life
Should I even consider Pella again?
We have a Marvin distributor in the next town. How good is Marvin?
This is on the north side so it never gets direct sun. Aside from
insulated glass, does any of the low E stuff do better?

Other thoughts?

Hi,
Out of 5 houses I had built and lived in, 2nd house had Pella windows,
patio doors. Worst I ever had. Now I use local window manufacturer by
custom order since. Good price, good service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 10:41:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In our Family Room we have a Pella 8' slider about 17+ years old. The
stationary side is in perfect condition, but the moving half has some
rot in the bottom panel. Not sure how bad it is, but where the wheels
fits it cannot be adjusted and that end is dragging. The aluminum
front panel is coming off, but since it is cold I don't want to go
tearing into it just yet.

Couple of questions and observations.
Aluminum cladding looks nice but can hide problems
A good door should have a much longer life
Should I even consider Pella again?
We have a Marvin distributor in the next town. How good is Marvin?
This is on the north side so it never gets direct sun. Aside from
insulated glass, does any of the low E stuff do better?

Other thoughts?

Pella and Marvin, some years ago, were problematic. Maybe the install.
I think they have improved over the last 15 year or so.

Andersen has a line of doors made using "Fibrex® material".

_Fibrex composite material combines the strength and stability of wood
with the low-maintenance features of vinyl. _

http://www.renewalbyandersen.com/why-choose-us/fibrex.aspx

I'm certain you may need a deep pocket
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2014 12:07 PM, Bobby R. wrote:
[...]

Wow....perhaps demographics play a role. Pella and Marvins have a better
reputation than Andersons and local brands around her. Also for the past
several years, Consumer reports has listed them at the top. Though, I
must honestly say, this year isn't good for them. Perhaps installation
is the key point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 10:47:49 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Now I use local window manufacturer by
custom order since. Good price, good service.

....this is a kewl tool, a local business used when I ordered two glass
panes be changed to tempered glass...

Merlin Lazer Glass Measuring Guage:

_Merlin Glass Measuring Guage: Ideal for accurately measuring glass
and air-gap thickness in single, double and triple glazed units._

- Fast – measure unit thickness for replacement purposes.

- Accurate – identify laminated glass in any situation, ideal for risk
assessments.

- Quick – just point & click, glass & air-gap thickness are displayed
on the calibrated scale.

- No glass removal necessary.

http://www.dortechdirect.co.uk/window-installer-tools/merlin-lazer-glass-measuring-guage.html

https://tinyurl.com/kswkwjf

picky picky
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 13:35:17 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

Wow....perhaps demographics play a role. Pella and Marvins have a better
reputation than Andersons and local brands around her. Also for the past
several years, Consumer reports has listed them at the top. Though, I
must honestly say, this year isn't good for them. Perhaps installation
is the key point.

I've installed Anderson/Andersen windows and doors in Street of Dream
homes in Las Vegas. In nice homes being built, buyers paid for
contradictor installed windows, bought the upgrade to Anderson before
install during construction. Those buyers paid for windows twice - an
upgrade.

OP may find displays for Anderson/Andersen product at HD or check the
web site. If you want the best garage door, buy a Martin Door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2014 11:14 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Most often rot is caused by water failing to drain away.
I'd take a good look at it and see if it's salvagable. If it's not
seriously compromised, removing the rot, followed by treating with
anti-freeze, then wood hardner and/or filler can often make it good
for a long time again. If it requires structural strength because of
the rollers, etc, then an epoxy filler is appropriate.

I can see where warer was getting in. The cladding offered protection
when sealed, but once the seal is gone the damag is hidden.

I'm sure it is fixable to some extent, but right now I don't have a warm
place to work on it and the main entry we use would be out of
commission. Would have been much easier in June.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2014 12:07 PM, Bobby R. wrote:

Provia is at the top, and you will pay for it. Polaris is also a well
regarded door, but is available to contractors only. If you want
service after the sale, Polaris is the way to go.

Never heard of either, but that is why I posed the question. The group
here has lots of good information. Turns out there are a couple of
ProVia dealers within 30 miles of me. I'll check them out.

Patio Ideas - Stepping Out With Stone Patio Designs And Brick Patio Patterns trav Home Repair 1 September 24th 07 03:15 PM
PATIO DOOR [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 21st 07 02:38 AM
Patio Door Bill85367 Home Repair 5 January 5th 07 10:31 PM
Widening a patio door -- current door is an odd size [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 28th 06 05:24 PM
How much-new patio door ? tarquinlinbin UK diy 3 May 29th 05 08:44 AM