Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patio Door

I own a lower level condo unit where the building has settled due to
improper water runoff and drainage. My unit took the brunt of the
settling as it is on the ground level and the building was built on
fill. Consequently I have a patio door that is badly out of square.
When the sliding door is moved to meet the jamb, without being
recessed into the jamb, the top of the door is over 1" from being
parallel with the jamb. The floor slopes to the left due to the
settling and after adjustment to maximum capacity of the rollers there
is nearly 3/8" of daylight at the top when the door is fully into the
jamb at the bottom. The door latches only with considerable effort;
with the use of both hands and some muscle. The Homeowners
association is responsible because it is part of the building's common
area, but they are giving me the run around. I am requesting any help
for instructions on how best to install a new door. What is the best
way to make the door opening plumb and level so the opening has the
same dimension when measured diagonally from the left and right
corners? If a new bronze anodized, insulated, tempered glass unit
needs to be special made to fit the existing out of square opening what
should the price be for an acceptable quality 6068 patio door with
screen, not including installation. Can anyone help? I really would
appreciate any suggestions.

Thank You

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill85367 wrote:
[...]

I would not suggest any work on the door until the problem is resolved
and there is no more settling.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill85367 asked:

What hould the price be for an acceptable quality 6068 patio door w/
screen, not including installation. Can anyone help? I really would
appreciate any suggestions.

Around $89.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Bill85367 wrote:
[...]

What he said- the door is the least of your problems. If there is that much
sag in six or eight feet, the first thing I would do is get an engineer in
there to look at the foundation and overall structure. With that much sag,
there is a distinct possiblity the local code compliance folks might red-tag
the entire building as unsafe. The description you give implies that the
building didn't just settle, the basic structure is actually 'racked', like
an old barn tired of fighting the wind. Depending on how the place was
built, they may be able to jack things around and redo the foundation, but
it ain't likely to be cheap or painless.

How old is the building? I'd also be looking at the association needing to
sue the builder. That degree of sag in a building young enough to have
sliders is a clear indicator that it was not built in a good workmanlike
manner. Without seeing it, my guess is that they cheaped out on drainage,
like you said, and probably didn't compact the fill correctly and/or used
way undersized foundations. If the builder is long-gone, I hope you and the
association have good insurance. Your insurance company or the associations,
may be willing to join in the legal fight with you.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill85367" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You have a major structural problem that is going to affect the value of the
property. The structure belongs to the association. All you have bought is
the air-space and rights of use. I'm not even sure if you own the patio
door. If the condo-board will not act you need to get legal advice and sue
them, if necessary.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Jan 2007 11:21:52 -0800, "Bill85367" wrote:

[...]

By, *run around* do you mean phone chat? These items should be
discussed in their board meetings. Are you attending them, addressing
your grievance? Are they keeping minutes? Take pictures, document
every contact you have them. What do the bi-laws state about building
maintenance?

I bet ten bucks they would be on your ass if you parked in a
non-designated space.

--
Oren

Widening a patio door -- current door is an odd size [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 28th 06 05:24 PM
Patio door handle West Stand Bowler UK diy 4 June 14th 06 05:44 PM
How much-new patio door ? tarquinlinbin UK diy 3 May 29th 05 08:44 AM
Sticky patio door? eaglet Home Repair 2 September 29th 04 03:00 PM
patio door removal mikey mike UK diy 11 February 27th 04 07:00 PM