Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A good barter

I went over to a friend's house to rewire her thermostat due to the wire
being shorted within the wall. It was snagged on something so I could
not fish a new wire through. I had to drill a hole in the floor.

So It would not show, we moved the piano and put the wire behind it.

There was a painting she did many years ago that had fallen down behind
it that she forgot all about. I told her that it would be "plenty good"
payment for my work.

Not only did I get an original paining, she gave me her father's WW-II
Navy Bell!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...01332088_o.jpg

I really did not want to take something so valuable so I may end up
doing some more work for here.

There was a blown breaker in the panel feeding a short somewhere as it
pops as soon as turned on.

I asked here when that happened and she said, " I don't know, maybe
three years ago." Must not be on anything important!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 17:18:51 -0600, philo* wrote:

I went over to a friend's house to rewire her thermostat due to the wire
being shorted within the wall. It was snagged on something so I could
not fish a new wire through. I had to drill a hole in the floor.

So It would not show, we moved the piano and put the wire behind it.

There was a painting she did many years ago that had fallen down behind
it that she forgot all about. I told her that it would be "plenty good"
payment for my work.

Not only did I get an original paining, she gave me her father's WW-II
Navy Bell!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...01332088_o.jpg

I really did not want to take something so valuable so I may end up
doing some more work for here.

Snip

You ought to be arrested for theft. :-)

Damn nice bell!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2014 6:18 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you are both pleased with
the arrangement.

Worth trying to isolate the short, and
repair it. Never know when someone is
determined to make the breaker stay on,
and starts a fire.

People do strange things like reset the
breaker repeatedly until it stays on.
This, I know....

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2014 05:56 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Snip

You ought to be arrested for theft. :-)

I know, but she insisted.

I still owe her a lot and will get to that wiring one of these days.

Damn nice bell!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2014 7:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

People do strange things like reset the
breaker repeatedly until it stays on.
This, I know....

They should make the breakers in such a way you just slide a penny in to
bypass it. Makes you miss the old fuse boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2014 06:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/15/2014 7:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

People do strange things like reset the
breaker repeatedly until it stays on.
This, I know....

They should make the breakers in such a way you just slide a penny in to
bypass it. Makes you miss the old fuse boxes.

With inflation today it would be a nickel or dime.

One of my friends still has fuses in his house but most people have
upgraded by now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2014 7:26 PM, philo wrote:
They should make the breakers in such a way you just slide a penny in to
bypass it. Makes you miss the old fuse boxes.

With inflation today it would be a nickel or dime.

One of my friends still has fuses in his house but most people have
upgraded by now.

Yep, nickel or quarter at least.

BTW, my parents house has screw fuses. House
made in the fifties. My trailer has breakers,
and copper wiring (pulled front of panel and
looked).

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2014 7:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/15/2014 7:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

People do strange things like reset the
breaker repeatedly until it stays on.
This, I know....

They should make the breakers in such a way you just slide a penny in to
bypass it. Makes you miss the old fuse boxes.

The person who repeatedly reset the breaker,
finally was satisfied when the breaker stayed
on.

The furnace had a blower motor shorted to ground.
Each reset sent a major power surge through the
wiring and furnace. Eventually, the relay on the
furnace board fried.

Motor: $60.
Circuit board from Carrier Bryant dealer $200.
Not having Federal Pacific Electric panel box: Priceless.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 17:18:51 -0600, philoÂ* wrote:

I went over to a friend's house to rewire her thermostat due to the wire
being shorted within the wall. It was snagged on something so I could
not fish a new wire through. I had to drill a hole in the floor.

So It would not show, we moved the piano and put the wire behind it.

There was a painting she did many years ago that had fallen down behind
it that she forgot all about. I told her that it would be "plenty good"
payment for my work.

Not only did I get an original paining, she gave me her father's WW-II
Navy Bell!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...01332088_o.jpg

That looks like a very old bell,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2014 08:50 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Not only did I get an original painting, she gave me her father's WW-II
Navy Bell!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...01332088_o.jpg

That looks like a very old bell,

All I know is it's from WW-II

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 03:51:45 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 11/15/2014 08:50 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Not only did I get an original painting, she gave me her father's WW-II
Navy Bell!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...01332088_o.jpg

That looks like a very old bell,

All I know is it's from WW-II

Examine it very closely inside and out, "possibly" there is a casting
mark or something with a clue. It could lead to the maker...

I trust "her father's" bell is authentic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2014 01:53 PM, Oren wrote:
snip

All I know is it's from WW-II

Examine it very closely inside and out, "possibly" there is a casting
mark or something with a clue. It could lead to the maker...

I trust "her father's" bell is authentic.

I'm 100% positive it's authentic she got it from her father who was in
the Navy during WW-II.

As a matter of fact so was my own father. He was among the first of the
US troops to go into Nagasaki after the war and he gave me a very vivid
description.

Anyway, the bell is now mounted outside and we've just had our first
snow fall so I will not be examining it at close range until I feel like
getting the ladder out again
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 03:51:45 -0600, philoÂ* wrote:

On 11/15/2014 08:50 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Not only did I get an original painting, she gave me her father's WW-II
Navy Bell!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...01332088_o.jpg

That looks like a very old bell,

All I know is it's from WW-II

Maybe just taken off a ship then. An old ship.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2014 03:34 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

All I know is it's from WW-II

Maybe just taken off a ship then. An old ship.

I'll have to see if she has any more info on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 19:22:08 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/15/2014 7:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

People do strange things like reset the
breaker repeatedly until it stays on.
This, I know....

They should make the breakers in such a way you just slide a penny in to
bypass it. Makes you miss the old fuse boxes.

Cant you keep it on by tying a string to the lever and nailing the
string to the far wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2014 04:51 PM, micky wrote:

Cant you keep it on by tying a string to the lever and nailing the
string to the far wall?

Even if you hold a breaker to the fully "on" position,
if there is an overload it will still trip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 17:17:39 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 11/16/2014 04:51 PM, micky wrote:

Cant you keep it on by tying a string to the lever and nailing the
string to the far wall?

Even if you hold a breaker to the fully "on" position,
if there is an overload it will still trip.

Darn. Those safety-geeks are real trouble-makers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2014 5:51 PM, micky wrote:
They should make the breakers in such a way you just slide a penny in to
bypass it. Makes you miss the old fuse boxes.

Cant you keep it on by tying a string to the lever and nailing the
string to the far wall?

Now, that's the tooth!

-
..