Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LG Washer ready for takeoff

I have a four year old LG washer and dryer pair installed in a walk-in
closet. Both have performed well since new. They are used to wash
and dry roughly two loads per week over those four years.

Recently, the noise made by the washer during its spin cycle has
increased from "surprisingly quiet" to very loud. As others have said
in various online posts, it sounds like a jet taking off (except lower
frequency than the whine of a jet). To me, it sounds like the bearing
has failed, but with only four years of moderate use, it seems way too
early for that type of failure. All other functions are normal. I
have read posts from others with the same issue on LG's website, but
the answer is always "We can't disgnose this remotely. Please call
service".

This thing is a real bear to work on because it is in a tight space in
a leak proof pan with the dryer mounted on top of it. In other words,
it is not condusive to trial and error diagnosing. Is anyone familar
with these things? Could there be a simple fix without first
uninstalling and then disassembling the whole thing?

LG Model WM2501HVA

Thanks,
Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
[...]

Hi,
My first thing check is drum rollers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:22:39 -0500, Pat wrote:

[...]

Try to isolate the noise. One way would be by use of a stethoscope
(medical or mechanic type), while the unit is in place and running.

Put your model number in here, post the URL back here.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 09:38:00 -0800, Oren wrote:

[...]

Thanks Oren. The video at the above site was very useful.
Unfortunately, it took the expert 40 minutes of video to change the
bearings and he had the ability to stop the camera and skip repetitive
steps. There was also a lot of "be careful" warnings about breaking
plastic parts while hammering the bearing out and back in. I normally
don't shy away from repairs, but this thing scares me. I am amazed at
the number of assemblies that must be removed to change the bearings
(the top, the front panel, many electrical connectors, the motor, many
hoses, shocks, springs, gaskets, clips, etc.). I will guess the
expert took at least 3 hours to do it after already knowing how. It
would take me all day.

I think I need to look into a new washer. Is four years the expected
lifespan of these new appliances?

Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message

Thanks Oren. The video at the above site was very useful.
Unfortunately, it took the expert 40 minutes of video to change the
bearings and he had the ability to stop the camera and skip repetitive
steps. There was also a lot of "be careful" warnings about breaking
plastic parts while hammering the bearing out and back in. I normally
don't shy away from repairs, but this thing scares me. I am amazed at
the number of assemblies that must be removed to change the bearings
(the top, the front panel, many electrical connectors, the motor, many
hoses, shocks, springs, gaskets, clips, etc.). I will guess the
expert took at least 3 hours to do it after already knowing how. It
would take me all day.

I think I need to look into a new washer. Is four years the expected
lifespan of these new appliances?

Pat

I have found that the cost of the parts and the amount of time it takes for
many of the appliance repairs I am beter off just getting a new one. If it
is very simple and the parts are cheep I will attempt a repair, but for much
I just get a new one now.
Especially if I am going to have to pay someone to do the repair.

About 50 years ago my dad repaired items for an appliance store. Then the
pay was not that much and the cost of new ones was high, now it has turned
around. High labor and parts, new apliance not that much in many cases.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/13/2014 1:32 PM, Pat wrote:

Unfortunately, it took the expert 40 minutes of video to change the
bearings and he had the ability to stop the camera and skip repetitive
steps. There was also a lot of "be careful" warnings about breaking
plastic parts while hammering the bearing out and back in. I normally
don't shy away from repairs, but this thing scares me. I am amazed at
the number of assemblies that must be removed to change the bearings
(the top, the front panel, many electrical connectors, the motor, many
hoses, shocks, springs, gaskets, clips, etc.). I will guess the
expert took at least 3 hours to do it after already knowing how. It
would take me all day.

I think I need to look into a new washer. Is four years the expected
lifespan of these new appliances?

If it really is the bearings, and you're talking trashing the whole
thing anyway, what's lost in the attempt other than a little time?

Bearings would in all likelihood be available open stock; wouldn't think
should be more than $10/ea online from appliance repair places.

If it doesn't go well, _then_ there's still the new one...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Hi,
Tried to find a bearing with good genuine quality? Look at where they
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/13/2014 3:01 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Tried to find a bearing with good genuine quality? Look at where they
are made nowadays. I am not sold on front load laundry pair yet,
not easy to repair DIY. One time I looked into a high end washer by
Miel, it was more electronics with ASICs than mechanics. Hardly anything
to touch for repair but replace costing an arm and leg, LOL!.

Yes, I replace quite a number of bearings every year. Only _very_
rarely are there not over-the-counter replacements available thru the
local bearing distributorship. I've not had quality problems with any
irrespective of the point of manufacture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 08:31:13 -0600, dpb wrote:

Tried to find a bearing with good genuine quality? Look at where they
are made nowadays. I am not sold on front load laundry pair yet,
not easy to repair DIY. One time I looked into a high end washer by
Miel, it was more electronics with ASICs than mechanics. Hardly anything
to touch for repair but replace costing an arm and leg, LOL!.

Yes, I replace quite a number of bearings every year. Only _very_
rarely are there not over-the-counter replacements available thru the
local bearing distributorship. I've not had quality problems with any
irrespective of the point of manufacture.

TIMKEN

http://www.timken.com/en-us/solutions/automotive/Pages/default.aspx/wheel-bearing-replacement

Even use the bearing seals from Timken.

- fixin' my broke truck

_Stop Fake Bearings - World Bearing Association _ (Watch the video for
the full story on the hazards of fake bearings.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSXAKxTxRro
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/14/2014 2:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 08:31:13 -0600, wrote:

Tried to find a bearing with good genuine quality? Look at where they
are made nowadays. I am not sold on front load laundry pair yet,
not easy to repair DIY. One time I looked into a high end washer by
Miel, it was more electronics with ASICs than mechanics. Hardly anything
to touch for repair but replace costing an arm and leg, LOL!.

Yes, I replace quite a number of bearings every year. Only _very_
rarely are there not over-the-counter replacements available thru the
local bearing distributorship. I've not had quality problems with any
irrespective of the point of manufacture.

TIMKEN

http://www.timken.com/en-us/solutions/automotive/Pages/default.aspx/wheel-bearing-replacement

Even use the bearing seals from Timken.

- fixin' my broke truck

Timken is good; high fraction what generally end up with are either SKF
or NTN but there are others as well. Reputable distributors generally
sell reputable product has been by experience and industrial users
aren't going to frequent the place that doesn't have stuff that meets
their demand. The prime users here are the oil/gas and packing plant
folks followed by the farm use like most of mine but they can get
virtually anything. I've ordered as small as the replacement guide
bearing on a router bit while they routinely handle stuff for gas
compressors with 6" shafts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 12:45:10 -0800, Oren wrote:

TIMKEN

http://www.timken.com/en-us/solutions/automotive/Pages/default.aspx/wheel-bearing-replacement

Even use the bearing seals from Timken.

- fixin' my broke truck

_Stop Fake Bearings - World Bearing Association _ (Watch the video for
the full story on the hazards of fake bearings.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSXAKxTxRro

Funny you should mention Timken. My washer with the likely bad
bearing lives just a few miles from their headquarters. I still
haven't decided to do anything. I hate the thought of disrupting my
house for days to remove the dryer and then the washer from the closet
and then disassemble the entire washer just to get to the bearing in
question. The thing is still working so I can procrastinate for a
while longer. (I was hoping someone would tell me about a secret
panel that could be removed in a few minutes to check for a errant
sock wrapped around a shaft. No such luck.)

Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 06:39:07 -0500, Pat wrote:

[...]

Sorry. I just got here. I read your OP. Download and run
http://www.lg.com/downloads/bearing-refurbisher.exe

It should take care of everything.

If not, set the Spin speed to "very very slow".

Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

Had, still have Amana Front Load Washer
Loud Jet noise when in normal wash, but regular sound when on Gentle Wash...
Turned out the be Actuator Arm that held onto Washing Drum, and goes through two bearings then outside to a pulley, belt and connected to electric motor. Somehow the metal just disintegrated and lost hold of the drum, slowly..
And thus the Bearings went from the vibration that increased, slowly
To the point of a loud whirling noise similar to a small jet
And now the parts to replace are no longer made
The drum makes a cool fire burning pit!
Motor brought me 35 bucks off craigslist
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LG Washer ready for takeoff Strap it down.

Oren posted for all of us...

[...]

That video reminded me that the airplane industry had a huge problem with
counterfeit parts. Then there are the vehicle airbags which is still a major
deal. Especially since Takata seems to make bad ****... Wonder what the
specs and who wrote them were on these? Trouble is when one needs these
items to function there is not a Plan B available.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:07:42 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

_Stop Fake Bearings - World Bearing Association _ (Watch the video for
the full story on the hazards of fake bearings.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSXAKxTxRro

That video reminded me that the airplane industry had a huge problem with
counterfeit parts. Then there are the vehicle airbags which is still a major
deal. Especially since Takata seems to make bad ****... Wonder what the
specs and who wrote them were on these? Trouble is when one needs these
items to function there is not a Plan B available.

There was a real problem with our military getting counterfeit parts
in recent years. DOD contractors were one of the problems. Not a good
thing during a war and lives depend upon the product quality.

Not sure now, but UNICOR (federal prison industries) used to make
wiring harnesses for military tanks and other critical weapons. There
was a good quality control procedure in place, fortunately.

http://www.unicor.gov/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

....found it

Aircraft Cable Assemblies
Coaxial Cable Assemblies
Electric Power & Distribution Cables
Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) Cables
Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Shielded Cables
Fiber Optic Cable Assemblies
Grounding Cable Assemblies
Remanufactured Cable Assemblies
Security Camera Cable Assemblies
Speaker Cable Assemblies

"...UNICOR/FPI aircraft cable assemblies are used in hundreds of
applications, including Cobra helicopters, F15, F16 and P36 combat
jets, and T37 and T38 trainers."

http://www.unicor.gov/electronics/cable_assemblies/index.asp

Ready mixed Polly filler or ready mixed plaster ? Stephen[_11_] UK diy 9 January 15th 10 09:05 AM
ready mix TMC UK diy 8 February 21st 08 10:13 PM
extra 22mm takeoff on a cylinder jjj UK diy 4 November 26th 05 10:48 PM
Ok, Ready! Here I go! John Moorhead Woodworking 3 March 7th 05 07:45 PM
takeoff list Sal Home Ownership 1 February 11th 05 09:20 PM