Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat[_9_] Pat[_9_] is offline

Default LG Washer ready for takeoff

I have a four year old LG washer and dryer pair installed in a walk-in
closet. Both have performed well since new. They are used to wash
and dry roughly two loads per week over those four years.

Recently, the noise made by the washer during its spin cycle has
increased from "surprisingly quiet" to very loud. As others have said
in various online posts, it sounds like a jet taking off (except lower
frequency than the whine of a jet). To me, it sounds like the bearing
has failed, but with only four years of moderate use, it seems way too
early for that type of failure. All other functions are normal. I
have read posts from others with the same issue on LG's website, but
the answer is always "We can't disgnose this remotely. Please call
service".

This thing is a real bear to work on because it is in a tight space in
a leak proof pan with the dryer mounted on top of it. In other words,
it is not condusive to trial and error diagnosing. Is anyone familar
with these things? Could there be a simple fix without first
uninstalling and then disassembling the whole thing?

LG Model WM2501HVA

Thanks,
Pat