Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Too Much Stuff

As we get closer to selling our big empty nest and moving to a two
bedroom condo I look at my lifetime collection of hand and power tools
plus drawers and boxes of electrical, plumbing, hardware and metal stock
filling the nether regions of our home and wonder how I can possibly
accept no longer having all of that stuff at my beck and call.

I ran across this item which says it all:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/Selling_my_stuff.jpg

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2014 09:31 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
As we get closer to selling our big empty nest and moving to a two
bedroom condo I look at my lifetime collection of hand and power tools
plus drawers and boxes of electrical, plumbing, hardware and metal stock
filling the nether regions of our home and wonder how I can possibly
accept no longer having all of that stuff at my beck and call.

I ran across this item which says it all:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/Selling_my_stuff.jpg

Jeff

At 65 I realize that some day I may have to move to a smaller place.

I hope not...but decided to start house cleaning now. Selling or giving
away a lot of stuff I have not used in a long time.

I sleep well and have never missed anything I've ever given away.

(one exception though)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 21:37:03 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 10/16/2014 09:31 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
As we get closer to selling our big empty nest and moving to a two
bedroom condo I look at my lifetime collection of hand and power tools
plus drawers and boxes of electrical, plumbing, hardware and metal stock
filling the nether regions of our home and wonder how I can possibly
accept no longer having all of that stuff at my beck and call.

I ran across this item which says it all:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/Selling_my_stuff.jpg

Jeff

At 65 I realize that some day I may have to move to a smaller place.

I hope not...but decided to start house cleaning now. Selling or giving
away a lot of stuff I have not used in a long time.

I sleep well and have never missed anything I've ever given away.

(one exception though)

At 69, I have no intention of ever moving, but. . .

I just remodeled two bathrooms and we got a big rollaway for the trash
and cleaned out a lot of other stuff that has been hanging around too
long. I may do it again come spring. Well worth the $330 it cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message

On 10/16/2014 09:31 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
As we get closer to selling our big empty nest and moving to a two
bedroom condo I look at my lifetime collection of hand and power tools
plus drawers and boxes of electrical, plumbing, hardware and metal
stock
filling the nether regions of our home and wonder how I can possibly
accept no longer having all of that stuff at my beck and call.

I ran across this item which says it all:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/Selling_my_stuff.jpg

Jeff

At 65 I realize that some day I may have to move to a smaller place.

I hope not...but decided to start house cleaning now. Selling or giving
away a lot of stuff I have not used in a long time.

I sleep well and have never missed anything I've ever given away.

(one exception though)

I retired in 1991 and we moved to Mexico from Honolulu. We trashed a lot,
the rest except for essentials was all packed up and shipped to Houston
for temporary storage. Moved back to the US in 1993, had the stored stuff
shipped to us in Florida. Much of it is still in the boxes.

If we ever move again, what we take will be what we can carry. My wife
will probably have a different idea

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2014 10:31 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
As we get closer to selling our big empty nest and moving to a two
bedroom condo I look at my lifetime collection of hand and power tools
plus drawers and boxes of electrical, plumbing, hardware and metal stock
filling the nether regions of our home and wonder how I can possibly
accept no longer having all of that stuff at my beck and call.

I ran across this item which says it all:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/Selling_my_stuff.jpg

Jeff

My mom describes three stags of life

1) you want everything
2) you work to buy everything
3) You realize none of that matters, and give it all away

My old neighbor Marvin showed me his cellar, a
couple weeks ago. He's got tools and stuff from
having needs, garage sales, etc. He's got three
cordless drills for example. Problem is "kids these
days" don't care about wood chisels, mitre saws, and
so on. Even to donate it to charity, most of it goes
in the landfill. What to do?

I'm in the same situation, lifetime of accumulated
stuff. Who reads hard bound books any more? Who uses
filament flash lights? Who uses hand tools? I may
be moving out of state, and can't take it all.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2014 10:37 PM, philo wrote:

At 65 I realize that some day I may have to move to a smaller place.

I hope not...but decided to start house cleaning now. Selling or giving
away a lot of stuff I have not used in a long time.

I sleep well and have never missed anything I've ever given away.

(one exception though)

Don't keep us wondering!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2014 04:46 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

At 65 I realize that some day I may have to move to a smaller place.

I hope not...but decided to start house cleaning now. Selling or giving
away a lot of stuff I have not used in a long time.

I sleep well and have never missed anything I've ever given away.

(one exception though)

At 69, I have no intention of ever moving, but. . .

I just remodeled two bathrooms and we got a big rollaway for the trash
and cleaned out a lot of other stuff that has been hanging around too
long. I may do it again come spring. Well worth the $330 it cost.

I don't intend on moving either, but my wife wants to get out of the
cold Wisconsin climate. I keep telling her that with global warming,
this is soon to be a tropical paradise.

Anyway, cleaning out the attic has turned out to be a good thing.
I'm a photographer and exhibit frequently. Each time I do a show I can
spend quite a bit of money on frames...however I have tons of them up in
the attic. It was so cluttered I could not get to them...but now I'm
starting to use them.

The show I'm in now cost me very little as all I had to do was buy a few
mats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2014 05:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:

At 65 I realize that some day I may have to move to a smaller place.

I hope not...but decided to start house cleaning now. Selling or giving
away a lot of stuff I have not used in a long time.

I sleep well and have never missed anything I've ever given away.

(one exception though)

I retired in 1991 and we moved to Mexico from Honolulu. We trashed a
lot, the rest except for essentials was all packed up and shipped to
Houston for temporary storage. Moved back to the US in 1993, had the
stored stuff shipped to us in Florida. Much of it is still in the boxes.

If we ever move again, what we take will be what we can carry. My wife
will probably have a different idea

Moving from Honolulu to Mexico must have been a nice treat financially.

I was stationed at Ft. Bliss in 1970 and one could take a bus from the
border...into town for 2 cents.

One day I did not have pennies so I gave the driver a nickel and he gave
me the change in Pesos. He started ca-chunking out so many coins from
the changer I could not get them all into my hands and they started
spilling onto the floor. I was scrambling to get them...then suddenly
stopped when I realized :This large handful of coins is /three/ cents!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2014 6:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Who reads hard bound books any more?

I do, Got any good reads?

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2014 9:31 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
As we get closer to selling our big empty nest and moving to a two
bedroom condo I look at my lifetime collection of hand and power tools
plus drawers and boxes of electrical, plumbing, hardware and metal stock
filling the nether regions of our home and wonder how I can possibly
accept no longer having all of that stuff at my beck and call.

I ran across this item which says it all:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/Selling_my_stuff.jpg

Jeff

About 12 years ago my brother died. We like to went
crazy unpacking his house. He wasn't a hoarder he had
some good stuff in there. But he hung onto stuff
that he might find a use for some day. I decided that
I was going to not collect stuff. Since then I have
been making a concerted effort to get rid of stuff
that I don't need. I don't plan for my daughter to
go through the mess we went through after John died.

I did have a head start. During my working life I
moved fairly regularly so I didn't have that much
stored up. My mother used to say that 3 moves is as
good as a fire.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2014 9:26 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
On 10/17/2014 6:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Who reads hard bound books any more?

I do, Got any good reads?

Bill

I'd have to do a bit of digging and check
titles. What are the odds our interests
will be similar?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message

On 10/17/2014 05:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:

At 65 I realize that some day I may have to move to a smaller place.

I hope not...but decided to start house cleaning now. Selling or
giving away a lot of stuff I have not used in a long time.

I sleep well and have never missed anything I've ever given away.

(one exception though)

I retired in 1991 and we moved to Mexico from Honolulu. We trashed a
lot, the rest except for essentials was all packed up and shipped to
Houston for temporary storage. Moved back to the US in 1993, had the
stored stuff shipped to us in Florida. Much of it is still in the
boxes. If we ever move again, what we take will be what we can carry.
My wife
will probably have a different idea

Moving from Honolulu to Mexico must have been a nice treat financially.

Yes, considerable difference. However, land wan't cheap in Mexico, still
way less than Hawaii though. All in all Florida was very similar to
Mexico.

I was stationed at Ft. Bliss in 1970 and one could take a bus from the
border...into town for 2 cents.

One day I did not have pennies so I gave the driver a nickel and he gave
me the change in Pesos. He started ca-chunking out so many coins from
the changer I could not get them all into my hands and they started
spilling onto the floor. I was scrambling to get them...then suddenly
stopped when I realized :This large handful of coins is /three/ cents!

The Mexican peso was at about 12.5 to the US dollar for many years.
Mexico defaulted on some debt in the early 80s and by the time I got there
it was at about 3000 to the dollar, topped out at about 3500:1. Shortly
before I left, they lopped off three zeros, not at all popular with the
Mexicans. Why? Because it was easy to be a peso millionaire at 3500:1,
not so easy at 3.5:1

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2014 09:57 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Moving from Honolulu to Mexico must have been a nice treat financially.

Yes, considerable difference. However, land wan't cheap in Mexico,
still way less than Hawaii though. All in all Florida was very similar
to Mexico.

I heard the property tax in Mexico is next to nothing...is that true?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2014 9:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/17/2014 9:26 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
On 10/17/2014 6:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Who reads hard bound books any more?

I do, Got any good reads?

Bill

I'd have to do a bit of digging and check
titles. What are the odds our interests
will be similar?

Hart to say. Mostly I read mysteries and science
fiction/fantasy. The biggest problem is that the
ones I would most likely be interested in would be
older ones that I have missing from my current collection.
It might be simpler for you to take them to your favorite
used book store or to Good Will or some such place. I
know here in Tulsa Good Will has a pretty good used
book selection.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2014 12:50 PM, Bill Gill wrote:
I'd have to do a bit of digging and check
titles. What are the odds our interests
will be similar?

Hart to say. Mostly I read mysteries and science
fiction/fantasy. The biggest problem is that the
ones I would most likely be interested in would be
older ones that I have missing from my current collection.
It might be simpler for you to take them to your favorite
used book store or to Good Will or some such place. I
know here in Tulsa Good Will has a pretty good used
book selection.

Bill

Not sure what to say. I think you've got the right
idea to buy local. BTW, Tulsa is "there" and western
NY is "here". Just to clear that up.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message

On 10/17/2014 09:57 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Moving from Honolulu to Mexico must have been a nice treat
financially.

Yes, considerable difference. However, land wan't cheap in Mexico,
still way less than Hawaii though. All in all Florida was very similar
to Mexico.

I heard the property tax in Mexico is next to nothing...is that true?

Don't know, never owned any property. Never had to mess with auto
registration either, due to my gringo condition, but my Mexican friends
did, ran about $500 (US) per year per auto.

To get a telephone was about $1000 (US). I never had one in my name, just
used the one that came with the apartment as many people did. To be fair,
the $1000 also got you some stock in TelMex - no idea how much - which was
easily sold.

I recall reading a letter to the editor in the local paper from a guy
bitching about the cost; he was incensed that they had to pay so much when
you could get a phone in the US for only $500. If he only knew...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:

The Mexican peso was at about 12.5 to the US dollar for many years.
Mexico defaulted on some debt in the early 80s and by the time I got there
it was at about 3000 to the dollar, topped out at about 3500:1. Shortly
before I left, they lopped off three zeros, not at all popular with the
Mexicans. Why? Because it was easy to be a peso millionaire at 3500:1,
not so easy at 3.5:1

We went to Cancun about that time. Lots of fun to pretend we were the
Donald and leaving 60,000 tips.
but what they conceal is vital.
Aaron Levenstein

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

The Mexican peso was at about 12.5 to the US dollar for many years.
Mexico defaulted on some debt in the early 80s and by the time I got there
it was at about 3000 to the dollar, topped out at about 3500:1. Shortly
before I left, they lopped off three zeros, not at all popular with the
Mexicans. Why? Because it was easy to be a peso millionaire at 3500:1,
not so easy at 3.5:1

During that era I went over to Neuvo Laredo to look around. It was hot and I
was thristy, so I got a glass of something sort of like lemonade from a
street vendor. I gave him a US dollar, and held my hand out for the change.
He put a few coins in, but when I still had my hand out he added a bunch
more. I finally waved him off when I had a collection of odd Mexican coins.
The whole pocketful was probably worth 5 cents but I'd have paid a buck for
the glass of whatever anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2014 11:44 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

My property taxes are one of my largest expenses yet I would not want to
go without all the benefits such as fire protection, roads and trash
removal.

I live in Wisconsin. Arizona has considerably lower property taxes but
they get the money elsewhere.

The recent reductions in Wisconsin property taxes due to walker are
already turning around and biting wisconsin in the backside. Buffalo
county is seriously cutting road maintenance budgets as a consequence.
They now can't afford to resurface more than 7 miles a year, which means
that every mile gets attention every 35-40 years.

I've gotten in a lot of arguments on Usenet. People outside of Wisconsin
always get the mistaken impression that Walker is doing a good job. He
is not!

Under Walker my property taxes have gone up just like they have with any
other governor. His election promise was 250,000 new jobs in his first
term which is soon to run out. By no count has he even come up with half
that amount.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 07:53:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

I've got a garage full of all sorts of tools and can't imagine not
having them. Yet... when I go back east for a month to visit people I
find that after getting settled in for a week or so I really don't
miss hardly anything at all and feel like if I never went back it
would be no big deal. The few things I would eventually need I'd just
go buy or just hire someone to do the work while I goof off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2014 2:43 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

I think my property taxes are too high but I know they
are lower then many places. Property tax here on a 100,000 house runs
about 800 a year. Sales tax is around 8.5%. Income tax perhaps 3 or
4%.

In my town you'd pay about $1300 for that same house. Our taxes are
better that others around here. Most of the money is for schools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2014 01:43 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

snip

I live in Wisconsin. Arizona has considerably lower property taxes but
they get the money elsewhere.

I'm curious as to where you think AZ gets it's money from as far as
"elsewhere". I think my property taxes are too high but I know they
are lower then many places. Property tax here on a 100,000 house runs
about 800 a year. Sales tax is around 8.5%. Income tax perhaps 3 or
4%.

In Milwaukee the property taxes are about $3000 / $100,000

So anyone living outside Wisconsin who thinks Governor Walker is doing a
good job...are just plain uninformed.

OTOH: In Arizona (I'm told by those who live there) that car
registration is based on the value of one's car and can easily be $300 -
$500 a year

In Wisconsin it's just a fixed fee of about $100 a year.

It was even lower before Walker got in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 17, 2014 7:53:37 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

You can sell used books on eBay or Amazon; my wife has done that for years now. If I ever move to smaller quarters, I'll probably just have an auctioneer try to get rid of my stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:50:06 -0500, Bill Gill wrote:

Hart to say. Mostly I read mysteries and science
fiction/fantasy. The biggest problem is that the
ones I would most likely be interested in would be
older ones that I have missing from my current collection.

My uncle had loads of books, and when I was a teenager, I was over there
and wanted to borrow one. He was a real hardnose and gave me a v. stern
warning about returning. I thought I did.

Then 40 years later I found the book in a moving carton. Oh no!!!

After 5 minutes I remember that it was a second copy I got 35 years
earler at a goodwill store in Racine, Wisc.

It might be simpler for you to take them to your favorite
used book store or to Good Will or some such place. I
know here in Tulsa Good Will has a pretty good used
book selection.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 23:47:53 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

I've got a garage full of all sorts of tools and can't imagine not
having them. Yet... when I go back east for a month to visit people I
find that after getting settled in for a week or so I really don't
miss hardly anything at all and feel like if I never went back it
would be no big deal. The few things I would eventually need I'd just
go buy or just hire someone to do the work while I goof off.

That's vacation syndrome. Going out of town really does make one (that
is, me, and I'll bet, everyone) forget his problems at home, even when
I might want to remember them. If you really lived where you visit,
you'd want your old life back there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:30:32 -0500, Bill Gill wrote:

About 12 years ago my brother died. We like to went
crazy unpacking his house. He wasn't a hoarder he had
some good stuff in there. But he hung onto stuff
that he might find a use for some day.

If I needed a sheet of plastic or a 2x4, those things I could buy with
no trouble.

It's the weirdo things that I can't buy that I have to save, in case I
need them. And I often do need one of the wierdo things.

But others would just call it junk.

: I decided that
I was going to not collect stuff. Since then I have
been making a concerted effort to get rid of stuff
that I don't need. I don't plan for my daughter to
go through the mess we went through after John died.

I did have a head start. During my working life I
moved fairly regularly so I didn't have that much
stored up. My mother used to say that 3 moves is as
good as a fire.

I''m 67 and I've been here for 31 years. I hope to stay 28 more until
I'm 95 and then die suddenly. But more reasonable to expect to last
until 85. When I was much fatter, I found that going up the stairs on
all 4's was much easier than upright, so that's part of my back-up plan
for when I'm old and weak.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

I feel the time period. I entered same time period, and spent a lot of time
crossing the border, but I was out at mcGregor Range NM. range Command.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 09:42:41 -0500, philo* wrote:

[...]

Yes, the licence plate fee/tax on newer cars can be several hundred.
it drops off pretty fast though. At least it's mostly used for fixing
roads instead of paying welfare loafers.

Too Much Stuff Jeff Wisnia[_8_] Metalworking 2 October 18th 14 01:23 AM
That Stuff (TM)? Alexander Lamaison UK diy 39 March 15th 13 04:34 PM
a trailer full of Stuff, Stuff, more stuff, and even more stuff was Ping Karl! pyotr filipivich Metalworking 0 May 30th 12 06:35 PM
god stuff Jack Handey Metalworking 0 July 26th 08 03:27 PM
FS in Alachua/Gainesville FL: huge volume shop stuff, tools supplieshardwares, other "guy stuff", 1, some, or all - PICKUP preferred dave Woodworking 0 January 30th 07 04:31 PM