Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Building a treehouse in the redwood grove of a neighbor (picsincluded)

G. Ross wrote, on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 20:38:51 -0400:

You keep talking about WiFi. More important is a refrig for the beer.
Why would anyone want WiFi in a treehouse. I would think this would be
a place to escape all that stuff.

Good point, but, this *is* the Silicon Valley environ ...
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 20:38:51 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

You keep talking about WiFi. More important is a refrig for the
beer. Why would anyone want WiFi in a treehouse. I would think this
would be a place to escape all that stuff.

The WIFI is how one orders more beer delivery. Can I help you further?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

"Danny D." wrote:

Only that each cable supports 14,000 pounds!

In days of yore I worked as a design engineer for heavy duty
steel mill and foundry equipment, but that was then and this is now.

For designs involving steel cable and human safety, the basic
safety factor applied was 5.

IOW, 14,000/5 = 2,800 pounds as the basic design limit.

Dynamic loading would apply another 50% derate.

IOW, 2,800*50% = 1,400 pounds for dynamic loads.

Based on the posts I have seen, your group needs some
serious help before people get hurt or worse.

Lew Hodgett, PE Retired

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On 9/29/2014 7:15 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Who is insulted when I equate Mexico with Spain anyway?
The Mexicans? Or the Spaniards?

(I don't know these things.)

I think everyone's offended, now days.
And you hurt my feelings by writing
that.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On 9/29/2014 7:20 PM, Danny D. wrote:

The good news is that, if the whole thing collapses, *he* gets sued, not
me!

Does PRC have more attorneys, or Mexicans?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

You keep talking about WiFi. More important is a refrig for the
beer. Why would anyone want WiFi in a treehouse. I would think this
would be a place to escape all that stuff.

The WIFI is how one orders more beer delivery. Can I help you further?

With your antenna that high, can't you pirate a
signal from a neighbor?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:35:11 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

beer. Why would anyone want WiFi in a treehouse. I would think this
would be a place to escape all that stuff.

The WIFI is how one orders more beer delivery. Can I help you further?

With your antenna that high, can't you pirate a
signal from a neighbor?

Who manages the network?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On 09/29/2014, 5:38 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Danny D. wrote:
8 Snip

At that point, we will be in the "treehouse" which will have a deck and
WiFi and a great open view of the mountains.

8 Snip

You keep talking about WiFi. More important is a refrig for the beer.
Why would anyone want WiFi in a treehouse. I would think this would be
a place to escape all that stuff.

Hmm, well with two separate cables your power requirements are fine,
just run them on 24VAC @ 50A (120VAC @ 10A equivalent) and then use step
up transformer or AC to DC regulators to power everything in the tree
house. No unsightly wires!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote, on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:29:57 -0700:

IOW, 14,000/5 = 2,800 pounds as the basic design limit.

Times two cables, which is 5,600 pounds, at least.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On 09/29/2014, 8:37 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote, on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:29:57 -0700:

IOW, 14,000/5 = 2,800 pounds as the basic design limit.

Times two cables, which is 5,600 pounds, at least.

My last comments - this is not looking so good..

Bending a cable around a support weakens the cable - there is a formula
for that:

http://unirope.com/products/slings/w...ling-capacity/

So that derates the cable strength from 10% to 60% depending on the
curve. Note too that they are using wooden standoff/chocks to hold the
wire, I hope they chamfered a notch - but in any case the load is not
consistent on the tree, rather it is concentrated on only a few of those
wooden chocks. This is a derating aspect too.

Looking at pictu

https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2944/1...3de04150_c.jpg

It looks like the cable does a bit of a sharp bend where it leaves the
standoff...this is potentially a real problem - kinks are possible. The
pinching of the cable at the clamps also derates the cable strength...

Wire Rope is certainly varied in structure. However I do keep seeing the
1:5 load factor (1/5 of rating) in various Wire Rope 101 pamphlets...

It does appear that the folks selling wire rope are only too happy to
advise in its use - your friends would be advised to show them the
proposal for comment before they put too much weight on these wire ropes.

John

www.flippers.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 12:34:27 -0700, Dan Coby wrote:

On 9/28/2014 9:50 AM, Danny D. wrote:
... snip

On the big tree, 125 feet away, we will add a wraparound additional
steel cable, so that the middle also has two cables.

... snip

Any other tips are welcome, as we're just now at the stage where
we have the ability to build the 125 foot long bridge starting
about 15 feet up in a pine, and then going straight across a
steep slope through the set of two redwoods, and then on to the
really big redwood 125 feet down the slope.

The treehouse will be in the middle of the bridge.

Are you saying that the tree house will be in the middle of a 125 foot
suspension bridge. How much will the tree house weigh when fully loaded
and do you have any idea of the forces that may be in the cables?

Dan

You better check it. Wind loads can exceed the dead loads by many times.
Wind loads may be the real issue.

?-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:20:40 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote in

Oren wrote, on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:20:20 -0700:

Your friend can do as he pleases.
I get the point of over building something.

The good news is that, if the whole thing collapses, *he* gets sued, not
me!

Not true. Since you are a volunteer and not an employee, you are
complicit.
--
I kill-file all messages posted through Google Groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-30, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:38:14 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards
wrote:

Calling a Mexican a Spaniard is like calling somebody from the US
"English" or "British". Rather than being insulted, I think people
are just going to be puzzled over where you've been for the last 250
years.

Anything wrong with calling a 1980 Mariel Cuban prisoner a "Beaner"?

That's generally considered offensive, racist, and ignorant.

They love black beans and rice. They didn't seem to be offended.

Perhaps they have better manners.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! This PORCUPINE knows
at his ZIPCODE ... And he has
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Calling a Mexican a Spaniard is like calling somebody from the US
"English" or "British". Rather than being insulted, I think people
are just going to be puzzled over where you've been for the last 250
years.

Anything wrong with calling a 1980 Mariel Cuban prisoner a "Beaner"?

That's generally considered offensive, racist, and ignorant.

No - that's considered a Politcally Correct way of thinking. It's neither
ignorant, nor is it offensive, unless someone like yourself decides to
declare it so. But - your declaration does not make it reality. I would
argue that regardless of the PC community, things like this are not at all
"generally considered" to be the way you view them.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On 9/29/2014 6:02 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 19:25:42 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

I'm just the free help (we
all have Spanish nicknames when we do free labor. I'm "Rodruigo", and my
wife's nom-de-labor is "Marisol", for example).

I keep threatening that I'm gonna call OSHA on them if I fall or if they
don't provide cold soda (the free soda has been warm, to date).

It's an insult to call a Mexican a Spaniard!

Why did you say that? Having a Spanish nick name does not assess any
nationality at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'm just the free help (we
all have Spanish nicknames when we do free labor. I'm "Rodruigo", and my
wife's nom-de-labor is "Marisol", for example).

I keep threatening that I'm gonna call OSHA on them if I fall or if they
don't provide cold soda (the free soda has been warm, to date).

It's an insult to call a Mexican a Spaniard!

Why did you say that? Having a Spanish nick name does not assess any
nationality at all.

I was suggesting to Danny, based on my experience, that Mexicans do
like to be called Spaniards. They take is personally. I can't speak
for every Mexican, just what I have observed. Call a Mexican a
"wetback" - they don't seem so bothered by it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:32:29 -0700, Oren wrote:

It's an insult to call a Mexican a Spaniard!

Why did you say that? Having a Spanish nick name does not assess any
nationality at all.

I was suggesting to Danny, based on my experience, that Mexicans do
like to be called Spaniards. They take is personally. I can't speak
for every Mexican, just what I have observed. Call a Mexican a
"wetback" - they don't seem so bothered by it.

Leon,

Read that as "do not like to be called Spaniards"...
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

In days of yore I worked as a design engineer for heavy duty
steel mill and foundry equipment, but that was then and this is now.

For designs involving steel cable and human safety, the basic
safety factor applied was 5.

IOW, 14,000/5 = 2,800 pounds as the basic design limit.

Dynamic loading would apply another 50% derate.

IOW, 2,800*50% = 1,400 pounds for dynamic loads.

Based on the posts I have seen, your group needs some
serious help before people get hurt or worse.

Lew Hodgett, PE Retired

What I forgot to include was that the above design loads are for
tensile loads.

Bending loads require a further derate.

The reader is left to determine the value from any decent
structural engineering text.

And now you know one of the reasons why I'm retired.

Lew Hodgett, PE Retired

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2014 8:37 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
IOW, 14,000/5 = 2,800 pounds as the basic design limit.

Dynamic loading would apply another 50% derate.

Bending loads require a further derate.

The reader is left to determine the value from any decent
structural engineering text.

And now you know one of the reasons why I'm retired.

Lew Hodgett, PE Retired

Sounds like not much fort, at derate we're going.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

VinnyB wrote, on Tue, 30 Sep 2014 06:00:21 -0500:

Since you are a volunteer and not an employee, you are complicit.

The neighbor "pays" me, in free soda, although I am complaining
about the intolerable working conditions nonetheless!

BTW, today we devised a (potentially ingenious) method to *level* the two
cables.

I couldn't snap a picture because we were installing WiFi rooftop radios
most of the day and I was using the cell phone for signal strength and
interference observations, so the battery had died by the time we got to
the treehouse.

However, I'll explain in words, and later snap a picture for you, as to
how we devised a "tool" to measure the respective cable sag.

We made an 8-foot long T-Square out of two-by-fours, and we notched the
upper outside two ends of the top horizontal bar of the wooden "T" for
the cables to go in.

Then on the 8'foot long vertical leg of the huge T-Square, we put a level
on the side. We could easily see the 8-foot-long T-Square was "tilted".

It was getting late, so, later this week we will actually climb the big
redwood 100 feet away, and pull on one side of the cable or the other,
until the 8-foot-long hanging T-Square shows that the vertical leg is
level.

At that point, the two cables will be level.

We hope.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Danny D. wrote, on Wed, 01 Oct 2014 11:09:36 +0000:

BTW, today we devised a (potentially ingenious) method to *level* the
two cables.

I couldn't snap a picture because we were installing WiFi rooftop radios
most of the day and I was using the cell phone for signal strength and
interference observations, so the battery had died by the time we got to
the treehouse.

However, I'll explain in words, and later snap a picture for you, as to
how we devised a "tool" to measure the respective cable sag.

Sorry it took me so long.

Here's a picture of the method we used to level the two 100 foot cables:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3948/1...606db7b4_b.jpg

We basically made a ten-foot wide T-square, where we used a level on the
vertical bar to measure how level the two cables were.

If they weren't so high off the ground on the very steep slope, we'd just
hang a lead weight from the midpoint of each cable, with an even length
of rope for each cable - but we preferred to work at the only *flat* part
along the entire 100 foot length of the two cables.

It was really difficult working in the trees to pull the cable around as
it's both very high up in the air, as you can see by this netting we
rigged:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3928/1...1032dcd7_c.jpg

And, the last redwood tree downhill itself is pretty gnarly, as shown
here looking up at the same netting but from the safety of the ground:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5607/1...86936bcb_b.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Danny D. wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 05:38:07 +0000:

Here's a picture of the method we used to level the two 100 foot cables:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3948/1...606db7b4_b.jpg

You can see the fencepost digger in that picture above, over to the left.

It wasn't easy, mainly because the California sediments are hard as rock
this time of year, and, we were roped to trees so we wouldn't fall down
the hill while we were drilling the fencepost hole in the slope:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5599/1...f138a020_b.jpg

It was my first fencepost hole in my life, so, I was surprised that the
two bags of concrete mix went in dry:
https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2947/1...97dc13ea_c.jpg

Being on a 45 degree slope, it was impossible to keep the water in the
hole, so, we tried containing it with a cut-off bucket - but it didn't
work all that well to contain the water:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3937/1...d8583976_c.jpg

The second fencepost hole, for the drawbridge-like structure, wasn't as
hard to drill as it was on a much (much) flatter portion of the hill
where a path crossed under the cables strung between the redwood trees:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5602/1...cd30457c_b.jpg

The last step of the evening was to stain the boards that will be used
for the hundred foot long ten feet wide bridge from the top of the hill
to the far redwood tree:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5609/1...0a849e04_c.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 05:48:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

It was my first fencepost hole in my life, so, I was surprised that the
two bags of concrete mix went in dry:
https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2947/1...97dc13ea_c.jpg

Being on a 45 degree slope, it was impossible to keep the water in the
hole, so, we tried containing it with a cut-off bucket - but it didn't
work all that well to contain the water:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3937/1...d8583976_c.jpg

When i have seen that done it didn't work out that well, the concrete
never set properly. Sometimes it had to be dug out a few years layer and
done normally mixed before placement after removing the mush.

?-)