Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

Default Identify snake?

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

On 9/16/2014 8:25 AM, CRNG wrote:
Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks

Might try this:
http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Snakes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:25:43 AM UTC-5, CRNG wrote:
Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about

it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks

My guess would be a baby corn snake...huge variety in Alabama (if that is where you are?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:14:49 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

Might try this:

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Snakes

....very cool site! Thnx!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:25:43 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks

I don't know what type but I would say the snake is none-venomous;
based on the shape of its head, and the pupils in the eyes. "There are
four different types of venomous snakes (...triangular head and
elliptical eyes like a cat's...) in the United States: cottonmouths,
rattlesnakes, copperheads and coral snakes."

Try searching snakes in your state or geographic region. Let us know,
please.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

"CRNG" wrote in message

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks

Kinda depend upon where you live but I would call it a rat snake. Be nice
to it, they are useful.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

CRNG wrote:

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

It's a baby and it's kinda cute.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:35:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:

It is not a rat snake. Looks like a hognose to me. They are pretty

common around here.

http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/Hog%20nosed%20snake.jpg

The snout is too rounded for a hognose.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

CRNG wrote:

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks

If I saw it then it would be a dead snake!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 16:13:39 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

CRNG wrote:

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks

If I saw it then it would be a dead snake!

That is just plain silly. That snake is harmless! It is not a viper.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

wrote:

CRNG wrote:

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering
about it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about
4" tall.

Thanks

If I saw it then it would be a dead snake!

That is just plain silly. That snake is harmless! It is not a viper.

I feel that way about spiders, but snakes give me the creeps!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

wrote:

CRNG wrote:

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering
about it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about
4" tall.

Thanks

If I saw it then it would be a dead snake!

That is just plain silly. That snake is harmless! It is not a viper.

I feel that way about spiders, but snakes give me the creeps!

I understand about fear of snakes. I've been face to face with a
cottonmouth, coiled, head raised, mouth open an ready to strike. He
was lethargic from cold temps and did not strike - very close to my
face. I shot him with a 30.06, into several parts. Another, did lay
his head on my boot while fishing from a bank of a lake. I backed up
and let him get away. I've seen a rattlesnake strike an in-law. So I
do have fear, and a healthy respect for them. The snake above is
harmless. Spiders don't bother me.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

wrote:

CRNG wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Cold blooded and warm blooded don't like each other. Often snake bite is
dry one. I am glad we live in a place where snake is not a big deal.
Just silk snakes kids play with.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:14:36 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Often snake bite is dry one.

It might be but you never know. Younger venomous snakes will
administer more venom than an older one. Older ones have a
method/experience to regulate the venom dispensed in the bite. Older
ones; for some reason, want to save-up for the next encounter.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

wrote:

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks

I don't know what type but I would say the snake is none-venomous;
based on the shape of its head, and the pupils in the eyes. "There are
four different types of venomous snakes (...triangular head and
elliptical eyes like a cat's...) in the United States: cottonmouths,
rattlesnakes, copperheads and coral snakes."

You got 75%, Oren Coral snakes don't have triangular heads and their
pupils are round...kissing cousins to cobras, toxin of both is neurotoxic
rather than hemotoxic as in the three vipers you mentioned.

They are shy snakes, like to hide indecaying organic matter like compost
piles; when we had a mulch pile,we always kept an eye out when turning it.
They are pretty too; unfortunately they look much like king snakes
(unfortunate because the kings are mistaken for corals).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks

It is not a rat snake. Looks like a hognose to me. They are pretty
common around here.

Not even close.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/16/2014 1:21 PM, dadiOH wrote:

... Coral snakes ...are pretty too; unfortunately they look much like king snakes
(unfortunate because the kings are mistaken for corals).

"Red and yellow,
kill a fellow;
red and black,
friend of Jack"

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:21:23 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

"There are
four different types of venomous snakes (...triangular head and
elliptical eyes like a cat's...) in the United States: cottonmouths,
rattlesnakes, copperheads and coral snakes."

You got 75%, Oren Coral snakes don't have triangular heads and their
pupils are round...kissing cousins to cobras, toxin of both is neurotoxic
rather than hemotoxic as in the three vipers you mentioned.

You got me G Coral snakes don't strike. They have to chew through
the skin, likely in tender places like between your fingers or thumb.

Ordinarily, a person would notice that before the venom is finally
delivered. And notice the rings on a coral snake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:45:30 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/16/2014 1:21 PM, dadiOH wrote:

... Coral snakes ...are pretty too; unfortunately they look much like king snakes
(unfortunate because the kings are mistaken for corals).

"Red and yellow,
kill a fellow;
red and black,
friend of Jack"

Starting at the nose G

A coral snake still has to chew through your tender skin, maybe
between fingers. They do not strike.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Coral_009.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

On 9/16/2014 12:13 PM, badgolferman wrote:
CRNG wrote:

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks

If I saw it then it would be a dead snake!

No poisonous snakes here in Delaware but wife is deathly afraid of them.
If I can catch them, I remove them from the property.

Funny, spiders give me the creeps and I kill any that I find in the
house. They don't bother my wife.

When I was a kid, I put a small garter snake in an empty bag of M&M's
and gave them to another kid that hated snakes. He must have run a block.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

wrote:

Often snake bite is dry one.

It might be but you never know. Younger venomous snakes will
administer more venom than an older one. Older ones have a
method/experience to regulate the venom dispensed in the bite. Older
ones; for some reason, want to save-up for the next encounter.

Hi,
I ran fastest in my life when I was pre-teen(late '40 or early '50)
Bunch of kids were beating the bush around looking for mushrooms and I
had to do No.1 standing. I did not know until a snake jumped up hissing,
I ran away at speed of lightning knowing that was poisonous bugger.
Basically I don't like snakes, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:15:13 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Funny, spiders give me the creeps and I kill any that I find in the
house. They don't bother my wife.

1'll kill Black Widows in my garage and in any near my pool under the
decking. Destroy the egg sacks.

When I was a kid, I put a small garter snake in an empty bag of M&M's
and gave them to another kid that hated snakes. He must have run a block.

You would love one of my brothers. He put black snakes in old purses,
close to the road. I was there one time. Some Negroid's stopped and
picked up the purse. Thirty yards down the road, the car suddenly
stopped, brake lights came on. All four doors opened widely -they ran
in all directions and abandoned the Cadillac. Even if it was a black
rubber snake
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

CRNG wrote in
:

Can anyone identify this snake?

http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about
it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Eastern milk snake, I think. Might be corn snake or rat snake, but I think milk snake is more
likely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014, BenDarrenBach wrote:

CRNG wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg

My guess would be a baby corn snake...huge variety in Alabama (if that is where you are?)

Yes, the OP is in Alabama. I checked the headers.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.herp

wrote:

Funny, spiders give me the creeps and I kill any that I find in the
house. They don't bother my wife.

1'll kill Black Widows in my garage and in any near my pool under the
decking. Destroy the egg sacks.

When I was a kid, I put a small garter snake in an empty bag of M&M's
and gave them to another kid that hated snakes. He must have run a block.

You would love one of my brothers. He put black snakes in old purses,
close to the road. I was there one time. Some Negroid's stopped and
picked up the purse. Thirty yards down the road, the car suddenly
stopped, brake lights came on. All four doors opened widely -they ran
in all directions and abandoned the Cadillac. Even if it was a black
rubber snake

That would be a riot. Of course, I'd be afraid they might crash and get
killed.

Now I'm reminded of a medical student I worked with one summer.
He asked if I wanted to see a picture of his body, which I didn't, but
he brought out a photo of him and three other medical students with
their cadaver. They were lighting a cigarette in its mouth.
You can imagine what their girl friends might find in their purses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:42:07 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote in

CRNG wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg

My guess would be a baby corn snake...huge variety in Alabama (if that is where you are?)

Yes, the OP is in Alabama. I checked the headers.

Sorry, I should have posted location. Yes, I am in Alabama, but my
daughter lives near Tampa Bay, which is where the snake was found.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 01:50:39 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

Sorry, I should have posted location. Yes, I am in Alabama, but my
daughter lives near Tampa Bay, which is where the snake was found.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/identification/snake-id-q21/

"Your snake could be a juvenile Eastern Racer, Coluber constrictor.
There are three kinds that live in Florida. Click 'Yes' to find out
more about them." ??

How long was the snake?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:16:54 -0700, Oren wrote in

wrote:

Sorry, I should have posted location. Yes, I am in Alabama, but my
daughter lives near Tampa Bay, which is where the snake was found.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/identification/snake-id-q21/

"Your snake could be a juvenile Eastern Racer, Coluber constrictor.
There are three kinds that live in Florida. Click 'Yes' to find out
more about them." ??

How long was the snake?

It was about 12" long. From browsing the above link (good on,
thanks!), I'm guessing an Eastern Racer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sorry, I should have posted location. Yes, I am in Alabama, but my

daughter lives near Tampa Bay, which is where the snake was found.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/identification/snake-id-q21/

"Your snake could be a juvenile Eastern Racer, Coluber constrictor.

There are three kinds that live in Florida. Click 'Yes' to find out

more about them." ??

How long was the snake?

It was about 12" long. From browsing the above link (good on,

thanks!), I'm guessing an Eastern Racer.

Very likely! http://www.herpjournal.com/2008/04_2...4_28_08_14.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sorry, I should have posted location. Yes, I am in Alabama, but my
daughter lives near Tampa Bay, which is where the snake was found.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/identification/snake-id-q21/

"Your snake could be a juvenile Eastern Racer, Coluber constrictor.
There are three kinds that live in Florida. Click 'Yes' to find out
more about them." ??

How long was the snake?

It was about 12" long. From browsing the above link (good on,
thanks!), I'm guessing an Eastern Racer.

I'd say it is; given it is a juvenile. The patterns match very well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:05:31 -0500, CRNG wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:16:54 -0700, Oren wrote in
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/identification/snake-id-q21/

It was about 12" long. From browsing the above link (good on,
thanks!), I'm guessing an Eastern Racer.

Or more specifically a juvenile Eastern Yellow-bellied Racer. As pictured
he

http://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2012/08/...acer-juvenile/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:36:12 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:05:31 -0500, CRNG wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:16:54 -0700, Oren wrote in
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/identification/snake-id-q21/

It was about 12" long. From browsing the above link (good on,
thanks!), I'm guessing an Eastern Racer.

Or more specifically a juvenile Eastern Yellow-bellied Racer. As pictured
he

http://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2012/08/...acer-juvenile/

Outstanding. Excellent photos. I grew up in Florida - know your
dangerous ones. Now we finally see the belly of the racer

Rodents must hate them. Children are safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:36:12 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote in

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:05:31 -0500, CRNG wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:16:54 -0700, Oren wrote in
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/identification/snake-id-q21/

It was about 12" long. From browsing the above link (good on,
thanks!), I'm guessing an Eastern Racer.

Or more specifically a juvenile Eastern Yellow-bellied Racer. As pictured
he

http://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2012/08/...acer-juvenile/

Yes, that sure looks like a good match Don. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:24:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Hey I am going for the title as "most likely" ONLY usenet user to admit when

he was wrong.

Fixed that for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 07:40:33 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:24:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Hey I am going for the title as "most likely" ONLY usenet user to admit when

he was wrong.

Fixed that for you.

Hey. Last time I was wrong I was mistaken. I'll admit my mistakes and
do so publicly.

Is this baby snake coiled up outside a gopher snake or a rattler? Danny D Home Repair 93 September 14th 13 08:29 PM
Snake ID Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 1 May 8th 12 11:09 PM
Snake Oil? The Medway Handyman UK diy 51 April 10th 11 10:27 PM
Snake ID SteveB Home Repair 21 September 14th 07 04:56 PM
Convert model w/snake, to non-snake? karlt10 Woodworking 4 November 26th 06 08:23 AM