Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Matching Paint

How do you match a paint color on drywall in a bedroom? Cut out of piece of the wall and take it to the paint store? Is
there such thing as a portable color analyzer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/14, 2:58 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
How do you match a paint color on drywall in a bedroom? *Cut out of piece* of the wall and take it to the paint store? Is
there such thing as a portable color analyzer?

I did that one time. I picked a spot next to a window that was always
covered by a drape. Carefully cut just into the paper on the drywall,
about 2 in square, carefully peel off the paper. After getting the
paint matched, (which turned out perfect), glued the square back in
place, a little spackle, and painted over. You have to know where to
look to find it now.

Have fun........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 14:58:14 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

How do you match a paint color on drywall in a bedroom? Cut out of piece of the wall and take it to the paint store? Is
there such thing as a portable color analyzer?

If you're lucky pull a wall cover plate from a switch or outlet
receptacle and cut a small sliver of paper off the drywall - take that
with you to the paint store that can match it.

Another option is cut a small piece from a closet (same color) and
take that. Done in an inconspicuous place.

I've not heard of a "portable color analyzer".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 15:08:07 -0400, Retired wrote:

I did that one time. I picked a spot next to a window that was always
covered by a drape. Carefully cut just into the paper on the drywall,
about 2 in square, carefully peel off the paper. After getting the
paint matched, (which turned out perfect), glued the square back in
place, a little spackle, and painted over. You have to know where to
look to find it now.

I needed to find the color for my exterior stucco. A wise man
suggested I take the cover plate (access panel) for my cable TV box to
the store. Got a perfect match to paint my stucco patio addition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2014 2:58 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
How do you match a paint color on drywall in a bedroom? Cut out of piece of the wall and take it to the paint store? Is
there such thing as a portable color analyzer?

Once had this problem in the dining room. Got a very close but not
exact match with the color swatches from the paint store. Painted the
whole wall with the close match. Cannot tell the difference from the
rest of the room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2014 2:58 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
How do you match a paint color on drywall

in a bedroom? Cut out of piece of the wall
and take it to the paint store? Is
there such thing as a portable color analyzer?

Have your wife go buy the paint, and then she
owns the results.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:bhrPv.164351$No4.39134
@fx19.iad:

On 9/8/2014 2:58 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
How do you match a paint color on drywall

in a bedroom? Cut out of piece of the wall
and take it to the paint store? Is
there such thing as a portable color analyzer?

Have your wife go buy the paint, and then she
owns the results.

+1
We have a winner! Wise man.

Solves the problem for most of us. But your big problem is which wife do
you send?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 9/8/2014 2:58 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
How do you match a paint color on drywall

in a bedroom? Cut out of piece of the wall
and take it to the paint store? Is
there such thing as a portable color analyzer?

Have your wife go buy the paint, and then she
owns the results.

ask the wife if she wants to do it, or if you should send your girlfriend.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453[_2_] View Post
How do you match a paint color on drywall in a bedroom? Cut out of piece of the wall and take it to the paint store? Is
there such thing as a portable color analyzer?
MCP:

Take it from a landlord who does more painting than any homeowner:

It is not necessary to match paint colours exactly to have the room look like it was all painted with the same paint. As long as you get a reasonably CLOSE match to the colour, just paint to the closest corners, and stop there.

You see, your eye sees different colours on each side of a corner because of the different lighting and different viewing angles, and so your brain will automatically attribute any small difference in colour across a corner to the different lighting and viewing angles and won't notice any actual difference in the paint colour.

I do this all the time when a tenant causes damage to a wall. Over years, the old paint tends to get dirty just from airborne dirt sticking to the walls. I can't be starting to repaint an entire apartment just because one wall was damaged. So, I simply repaint the one wall up to the closest corners, and you can't tell it was only the one wall that was painted.

Now, obviously you can't have a difference in colour across a corner, like red and green. But, small differences in the tint or tone of a colour will never be noticed because the brain attributes those differences to the different lighting and viewing angles across a corner.

So, just get a swatch that's a reasonably close match, and you should be OK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| How do you match a paint color on drywall in a bedroom? Cut out of piece
of the wall and take it to the paint store? Is
| there such thing as a portable color analyzer?

A couple of points that haven't been mentioned:

1) When you take the wall sample to the store you'll
also need a store with a talented paint mixer. In
some stores they'll try to discourage you from getting
a computer match because they don't want to be
responsible. Even at a store where they will computer
match, the matching is no miracle, especially with
darker colors. To really get a good match usually
requires that the person mixing the paint be very
experienced.

2) After painting, be sure to save the can, even if
it's empty, so that next time you won't have to go
through all this trouble. It's worthwhile to keep a list
of all paints used. Even if you have to use a different
brand next time. Many companies have formulas for
other companies' paint colors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message ...
How do you match a paint color on drywall in a bedroom? Cut out of piece of the wall and take it to the paint store? Is
there such thing as a portable color analyzer?

I always take a chip to a store with large swatch selection and take home all that are close. Hold them against the wall at various places. Mark the ones that are closest with the time of day. Then do it again with the light changes, shadows, by ceiling light, etc. You'll be surprised that some match in the day and other match better at night.

Unless you need to paint the whole room, you can try painting only one wall and see if that matches the others close enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 8, 2014 9:48:09 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
| How do you match a paint color on drywall in a bedroom? Cut out of piece

of the wall and take it to the paint store? Is

| there such thing as a portable color analyzer?

A couple of points that haven't been mentioned:

1) When you take the wall sample to the store you'll

also need a store with a talented paint mixer. In

some stores they'll try to discourage you from getting

a computer match because they don't want to be

responsible. Even at a store where they will computer

match, the matching is no miracle, especially with

darker colors. To really get a good match usually

requires that the person mixing the paint be very

experienced.

2) After painting, be sure to save the can, even if

it's empty, so that next time you won't have to go

through all this trouble. It's worthwhile to keep a list

of all paints used. Even if you have to use a different

brand next time. Many companies have formulas for

other companies' paint colors.

It's also worth considering if it's worth the drama. If it's a typical
bedroom, is it that difficult to paint 4 walls? If the spot is someplace
that's not noticeable, you may get away with not painting the whole wall.
But if it's someplace visible, good chance to make it right you have to
paint a wall or most of a wall, ie up to some break point, anyway. At
which point with brushes, rollers wet, how much harder is it to just paint
the whole thing? With the matching thing, it's almost always multiple
trips back to the store too, until you get something that works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2014 8:29 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's also worth considering if it's worth the drama. If it's a typical
bedroom, is it that difficult to paint 4 walls? If the spot is someplace
that's not noticeable, you may get away with not painting the whole wall.
But if it's someplace visible, good chance to make it right you have to
paint a wall or most of a wall, ie up to some break point, anyway. At
which point with brushes, rollers wet, how much harder is it to just paint
the whole thing? With the matching thing, it's almost always multiple
trips back to the store too, until you get something that works.

It's a 700 square foot bedroom loaded with crap. It would be a major operation to paint all of the walls.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453[_2_] View Post
On 9/9/2014 8:29 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's also worth considering if it's worth the drama. If it's a typical
bedroom, is it that difficult to paint 4 walls? If the spot is someplace
that's not noticeable, you may get away with not painting the whole wall.
But if it's someplace visible, good chance to make it right you have to
paint a wall or most of a wall, ie up to some break point, anyway. At
which point with brushes, rollers wet, how much harder is it to just paint
the whole thing? With the matching thing, it's almost always multiple
trips back to the store too, until you get something that works.

It's a 700 square foot bedroom loaded with crap. It would be a major operation to paint all of the walls.

Thanks for the suggestions!
A 700 square foot bedroom?
Wow, that one bedroom is almost as big as my 2 bedroom apartments. which are 20 feet by 40 feet!

Even if you had the original tint formula, you'd find that the original paint wouldn't match now. That's because airborne dirt gradually causes the paint on walls to get dirty, and that causes the paint to darken. Even cleaning the walls will not get them back to their original colour. So, matching the existing colour will give you a paint formula that includes a bit more dark pigments than the original tint formula to allow for that gradual darkening.

So, your best bet is still to try and get a decent colour match, and then just paint one wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:11:26 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
'mcp6453[_2_ Wrote:

;3282172']On 9/9/2014 8:29 AM, trader_4 wrote:-

[...]

or paint the one bad wall in a different but complimentary color as a accent wall......

or clear out everything and do the job right once, so it wouldnt need done again for a long time.

or hang a picture to cover the bad spot

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 13:58:43 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

or paint the one bad wall in a different but complimentary color as a accent wall......

or clear out everything and do the job right once, so it wouldnt need done again for a long time.

or hang a picture to cover the bad spot

My master bedroom walls and ceiling are maybe 3-4 colors. I can change
a wall and not,worry about the other walls or the ceiling, I'm not
seeing a real problem here.

If anybody thinks a room has to be less than two colors,.or just two
colors only please speak up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 14:58:14 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

How do you match a paint color on drywall in a bedroom? Cut out of piece of the wall and take it to the paint store? Is
there such thing as a portable color analyzer?

There are portable analyzers out there. Ben Moore dealers used to sell
one. A bit spendy and not particularly accurate. As others have
advised, take a painted switch plate or cut a piece of the top drywall
surface in an inconspicuous spot. Go to a real paint store, not a big
box store. That being said, don't expect a perfect match that will
make an invisible touch up mid-wall. You'll get very close but that is
all. Plan to repaint the problem wall corner to corner.

B&Q's colour matching of paint Windmill[_5_] UK diy 16 December 16th 13 11:16 PM
Paint Matching Endulini UK diy 2 September 25th 13 09:22 PM
Paint matching (am I expecting too much...?) Nate Nagel Home Repair 47 November 6th 09 09:06 PM
Matching paint Eigenvector Home Repair 3 April 7th 07 02:58 PM
Matching Paint [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 12th 06 12:58 PM