Senior Member

Default OT - Things you might never need to know.

Gears are probably the most efficient method of mechanical power transmission we have today, and much of the reason for that is the shape that gear teeth are ground to.

Unlike the triangular or rectangular teeth you see on comical depictions of gear trains, gear teeth are actually ground to a shape called an "involute".

If you have a string wound around a cylinder, and you keep that string tight as you unwind it from the cylinder, the shape of the curve the end of that string makes is called an "involute". It's a shape similar to a spiral.

The unique advantage of involute gear teeth is that when two involute gear teeth meet, they actually ROLL over each other. That is, the point of contact between the two teeth is a ROLLING contact, not a sliding contact.

And it's this rolling contact made possible by the involute shape of the gear teeth that results in negligible loss of mechanical power to friction, and therefore the excellent mechanical efficiency of gear trains.

If gear teeth slid across each others surface, as is depicted in comical gear trains with rectangular teeth or the "peg" shaped gear teeth you might see on a TV show like "Gilligan's Island", then much of the mechanical power would be lost to friction.

Watch the gear animation at the top of this web page:
Involute gear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The black dot is the point of contact between the two gear teeth. Note that that dot moves with respect to both teeth as the teeth roll over each other, thereby transmitting force (and hence power) between the gear teeth with negligible friction losses.

So, gear trains are a very efficient way to transport power for much the same reason that passenger and cargo trains are a very efficient way to transport people and goods... ... both benefit from negligible friction losses as a result of a steel-to-steel rolling contact.

Last edited by nestork : September 7th 14 at 06:38 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/07/2014 10:27 AM, nestork wrote:

[...]

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involute_gear)

The black dot is the point of contact between any two gear teeth, and
it's the involute shape of the gear teeth allows them to roll over each
other, thereby transmitting power with negligible friction losses.

Thanks for the info
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo*[_2_] View Post
Thanks for the info
I studied cams and gears as part of my 4th year mechanical engineering course years ago at the U of Manitoba. I've forgotten most of what I learned back then, but I still remember the basic principles. I guess that applies to everything. No matter what you learn, you eventually forget the details, but you always remember the principles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/07/2014 12:42 PM, nestork wrote:

'philo*[_2_ Wrote:
;3280901']Thanks for the info

I studied cams and gears as part of my 4th year mechanical engineering
course years ago at the U of Manitoba. I've forgotten most of what I
learned back then, but I still remember the basic principles. I guess
that applies to everything. No matter what you learn, you eventually
forget the details, but you always remember the principles.

Well , I was an electrical engineering student so never studied gears...
but I did learn that most of the principles of electrical engineering
could be applied to mechanical engineering (and visa versa)

Perhaps gears and transformers are analogous as they transfer and
convert power efficiently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 17:27:06 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Gears are probably the most efficient method of mechanical power
transmission we have today, and much of the reason for that is the shape
that gear teeth are ground to.

Unlike the triangular or rectangular teeth you see on comical depictions
of gear trains, gear teeth are actually ground to a shape called an
"involute".

Watch the gear animation at the top of this web page:
'Involute gear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involute_gear)

The black dot is the point of contact between any two gear teeth, and
it's the involute shape of the gear teeth allows them to roll over each
other, thereby transmitting power with negligible friction losses.

I've never need to know that. But like a lot of other facts, it is
interesting to know. Thanks for posting it. I'll pass it on to a
couple of others that may find it of interest too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 08:27:06 -0700, nestork
wrote:

...snip...excellent fun to read, however...

I feel stupid today, but to me the Wikipedia .gif shows 'constant' speed
transfer, NOT very low friction.

It looked like a lot of sliding along each tooth, but importantly there
was absolutely NO variation in rotational speed for each gear's shaft.
Senior Member

I think I made a big mistake.

To prove to Robert Macy that involute ground gears have a pure rolling contact, I Googled "involute rolling contact" and I got this web page:

http://www.salemcompany.com/cgi-bin/...SSSect1ed2.pdf

...which explains involute gear teeth well... but also says that there's both rolling AND SLIDING between the teeth of involute gears.

That page says the principle advantage of involute ground gear teeth isn't the rolling contact at all, but that involute ground gear teeth allow for constant angular velocity between gears even when the distance between the centers of the gears varies.

I don't know what to say. I was taught that the purpose of the involute shape was to provide for a pure rolling contact between gear teeth, and now when I try to confirm that with online references, I find that's wrong. There is apparantly both rolling and sliding happening at the point where involute ground gear teeth meet.

Last edited by nestork : September 8th 14 at 04:27 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2014 11:27 AM, nestork wrote:

The unique advantage of involute gear teeth is that when two involute
gear teeth meet, they actually ROLL over each other. That is, the point
of contact between the two teeth is a ROLLING contact, not a sliding
contact.

Years ago, I noticed "hypoid gear oil" for sale at
the auto parts. I asked he twenty something behind
the counter was hypoid gear oil all about. He said
it had to do with the viscosity. I asked a mechanic
who knows a bit out these things, and he explained
that the gears were cut in the shape of a hyperbola,
and that made the energy transfer more efficient.
Hmm.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin Mormon[_10_] View Post
Years ago, I noticed "hypoid gear oil" for sale at
the auto parts. I asked he twenty something behind
the counter was hypoid gear oil all about. He said
it had to do with the viscosity. I asked a mechanic
who knows a bit out these things, and he explained
that the gears were cut in the shape of a hyperbola,
and that made the energy transfer more efficient.
Hmm.
Yes, that's a common experience. If you ask any store employee a question, and they don't know the answer, they'll think up one for you.

It's a service they provide free of charge so that their customers don't have to think up an answer themselves.

I kinda feel embarrassed offering up this information on involute gear teeth, and then finding out I was wrong, but I know that no one in here believes that I had anything but the best of intentions.

Last edited by nestork : September 8th 14 at 02:55 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2014 9:30 AM, nestork wrote:
'Stormin Mormon[_10_ Wrote:
;3281170']
Years ago, I noticed "hypoid gear oil" for sale at
the auto parts. I asked he twenty something behind
the counter was hypoid gear oil all about. He said
it had to do with the viscosity. I asked a mechanic
who knows a bit out these things, and he explained
that the gears were cut in the shape of a hyperbola,
and that made the energy transfer more efficient.
Hmm.

Yes, that's a common experience. If you ask any store employee a
question, and they don't know the answer, they'll think up one for you.

It's a service they provide free of charge so that their customers don't
have to think up an answer themselves.

I kinda feel embarrassed offering up this information on involute gear
teeth, and then finding out I was wrong, but I know that no one in here
believes that I had anything but the best of intentions.

We know you well enough to forgive small
mistayks.

Wish the guy was still there, I'd go ask for a
hypoid-dermic syringe.
http://www.ffx.co.uk/Content/images/tools/AK46.V2.jpg

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 06:30:39 -0700, nestork
wrote:

...snip...

Yes, that's a common experience. If you ask any store employee a
question, and they don't know the answer, they'll think up one for you.

It's a service they provide free of charge so that their customers don't
have to think up an answer themselves.

I kinda feel embarrassed offering up this information on involute gear
teeth, and then finding out I was wrong, but I know that no one in here
believes that I had anything but the best of intentions.

Don't STOP! I saved that little animated gif from Wikipedia. And for the
first time, I marveled out just how difficult true gear design must be.
Think about the vibration potential as the gears wear and the transferring
shaft speed starts to become modulated. Arrgg! And I thought electronics
was fraught with peril.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 2:23:02 PM UTC-4, philo* wrote:
On 09/07/2014 12:42 PM, nestork wrote:

'philo*[_2_ Wrote:

;3280901']Thanks for the info

I studied cams and gears as part of my 4th year mechanical engineering

course years ago at the U of Manitoba. I've forgotten most of what I

learned back then, but I still remember the basic principles. I guess

that applies to everything. No matter what you learn, you eventually

forget the details, but you always remember the principles.

Well , I was an electrical engineering student so never studied gears...

but I did learn that most of the principles of electrical engineering

could be applied to mechanical engineering (and visa versa)

Perhaps gears and transformers are analogous as they transfer and

convert power efficiently.

I was a math major but worked evenings on a machine that cut the teeth into the gear blanks. Very interesting process.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/08/2014 11:51 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

Well , I was an electrical engineering student so never studied gears...

but I did learn that most of the principles of electrical engineering

could be applied to mechanical engineering (and visa versa)

Perhaps gears and transformers are analogous as they transfer and

convert power efficiently.

I was a math major but worked evenings on a machine that cut the teeth into the gear blanks. Very interesting process.

A few of my customers were gear manufacturers so I got to see them being
made.

Things to come amdx Electronic Schematics 0 October 12th 10 03:55 PM
Some things are better than WD-40 HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 2 September 2nd 10 11:37 PM
Things to come? Leon Woodworking 42 March 25th 08 02:23 AM
Where would I buy these things? Toller Home Repair 11 May 12th 07 06:38 PM
Things not to do #42. . UK diy 0 April 14th 06 05:57 PM