Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Things you might never need to know.

On 9/7/2014 11:27 AM, nestork wrote:

The unique advantage of involute gear teeth is that when two involute
gear teeth meet, they actually ROLL over each other. That is, the point
of contact between the two teeth is a ROLLING contact, not a sliding
contact.

Years ago, I noticed "hypoid gear oil" for sale at
the auto parts. I asked he twenty something behind
the counter was hypoid gear oil all about. He said
it had to do with the viscosity. I asked a mechanic
who knows a bit out these things, and he explained
that the gears were cut in the shape of a hyperbola,
and that made the energy transfer more efficient.
Hmm.

--
..
Christopher A. Young