Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Things you might never need to know.

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 2:23:02 PM UTC-4, philo* wrote:
On 09/07/2014 12:42 PM, nestork wrote:

'philo*[_2_ Wrote:

;3280901']Thanks for the info

I studied cams and gears as part of my 4th year mechanical engineering

course years ago at the U of Manitoba. I've forgotten most of what I

learned back then, but I still remember the basic principles. I guess

that applies to everything. No matter what you learn, you eventually

forget the details, but you always remember the principles.

Well , I was an electrical engineering student so never studied gears...

but I did learn that most of the principles of electrical engineering

could be applied to mechanical engineering (and visa versa)

Perhaps gears and transformers are analogous as they transfer and

convert power efficiently.

I was a math major but worked evenings on a machine that cut the teeth into the gear blanks. Very interesting process.