Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where would I buy these things?

I am not sure where to shop for these items; HD won't have them. Not
particular stores (though if you happen to be in Rochester NY, that would be
great) but just what to look up in the phone book.

1) Cranks for my windows. After 25 years, a few are simply worn out.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg
2) Cedar siding for a shed, to match my house.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/siding.jpg

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 12:05 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I am not sure where to shop for these items; HD won't have them. Not
particular stores (though if you happen to be in Rochester NY, that would be
great) but just what to look up in the phone book.

1) Cranks for my windows. After 25 years, a few are simply worn out.http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg
2) Cedar siding for a shed, to match my house.http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/siding.jpg

Thanks

Sometimes,if the tube is deep enough,it can be ground down past the
worn teeth and the crank is still ok to use.They might last years or
more short term. If it does work maybe keep looking for new ones
anyway and keep the shortened ones for spare. Got access to a bench
grinder?
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller" wrote:
I am not sure where to shop for these items; HD won't have them. Not
particular stores (though if you happen to be in Rochester NY, that would be
great) but just what to look up in the phone book.

1) Cranks for my windows. After 25 years, a few are simply worn out.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg

Got any hardware stores there in Rochester? :-) Take that crank in to Ace, or
Tru-Value, or wherever, and ask them if they have one, and if not, where you
could get one. I'm betting you'll get either a crank, or a good answer.

2) Cedar siding for a shed, to match my house.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/siding.jpg

Looks like ordinary board-and-batten siding, and any cedar one-by ought to do.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
I am not sure where to shop for these items; HD won't have them. Not
particular stores (though if you happen to be in Rochester NY, that would be
great) but just what to look up in the phone book.

1) Cranks for my windows. After 25 years, a few are simply worn out.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg

Do you know what brand of windows they are? The crank does not look like
my Andersen cranks, but mine are 22 years old. They still work, by the
way, except my Yorkie likes to sit on the couch back and bite the
plastic handles whenever some animal passes outside. We can get a really
good grip on them now. :-)

2) Cedar siding for a shed, to match my house.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/siding.jpg

Thanks

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Most are made by Truth Hardware. Check out their site and find a dealer who
sells them. A few models are sold at the big box stores.

"Toller" wrote in message
I am not sure where to shop for these items; HD won't have them. Not
particular stores (though if you happen to be in Rochester NY, that would
be great) but just what to look up in the phone book.

1) Cranks for my windows. After 25 years, a few are simply worn out.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg
2) Cedar siding for a shed, to match my house.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/siding.jpg

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Toller :
I am not sure where to shop for these items; HD won't have them. Not
particular stores (though if you happen to be in Rochester NY, that would be
great) but just what to look up in the phone book.

1) Cranks for my windows. After 25 years, a few are simply worn out.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg

Those are the same as our windows. Yes, they're still available at
decent window/glass places. Look in the yellow pages for places that
advertise repairs and especially parts. The glass section probably more
so than the windows section.

Wooden window frames? Douglas Fir? (looks a _lot_ like cedar in
many cases). If so, there's a good chance these are Loewen windows.
They may still stock the old parts, and their new ones haven't changed
much.

This is their current hardwa http://www.loewen.com/home.nsf/why/hardware
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:05:02 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I am not sure where to shop for these items; HD won't have them. Not
particular stores (though if you happen to be in Rochester NY, that would be
great) but just what to look up in the phone book.

1) Cranks for my windows. After 25 years, a few are simply worn out.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg

These have been posted by others in the past. HTH

http://www.replacement-hardware.com/...s/casement.htm

http://www.blainewindow.com/

2) Cedar siding for a shed, to match my house.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/siding.jpg

Thanks

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 11, 12:05 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I am not sure where to shop for these items; HD won't have them. Not
particular stores (though if you happen to be in Rochester NY, that would
be
great) but just what to look up in the phone book.

1) Cranks for my windows. After 25 years, a few are simply worn
out.http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg
2) Cedar siding for a shed, to match my
house.http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/siding.jpg

Thanks

Sometimes,if the tube is deep enough,it can be ground down past the
worn teeth and the crank is still ok to use.They might last years or
more short term. If it does work maybe keep looking for new ones
anyway and keep the shortened ones for spare. Got access to a bench
grinder?
Dean

The problem is inside; the gears are worn out. It is a pretty poorly made
mechanism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 May 2007 20:49:34 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Dean" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

And lasted 25 years ?!?

Keep shopping, the next set might out last you...
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just because thy don't stock them at Home Depot or Lowes doesn't mean
that they can't be bought someplace else, like a regular hardware
store or online.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On May 11, 12:05 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I am not sure where to shop for these items; HD won't have them. Not
particular stores (though if you happen to be in Rochester NY, that would be
great) but just what to look up in the phone book.

1) Cranks for my windows. After 25 years, a few are simply worn out.http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg
2) Cedar siding for a shed, to match my house.http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/siding.jpg

Thanks

They are still around got mine at a window shop in Canada last year.
Suggest you try one in your area

Posted to alt.home.repair

I found replacement window cranks at my local glass shop in central CA -
when we lived there. It was before we replaced the windows.
They are EXPENSIVE. As I recall about $25 each but it was the whole unit.
Check EBay, search window crank or window handle
Here's an example...
Item number: 170109589944

Kate