Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

Default Can any of you tell, from the accent of this English, WHERE it comes from?

Oren wrote:

...I bet she hates ****-ree music

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Put_the...ack_in_Country

Shooter Jennings is his father's son alright.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 06:58:58 +0000, Ned Turnbull wrote:

Thanks for posting this and - good job by the way.

I've posted a link to this in NANAE. (news.admin.net-abuse.email). The
Indian scammers have long been a topic of amusement amongst the members.

Thane

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

Ned Turnbull wrote:

I spoke with the police department, who pretty much has confirmed that
the files they wanted me to download are not the payload. Those files
are merely legitimate remote access programs.

http://www.techcentral.co.za/we-scam...cammers/50579/

It was a slow day at TechCenter so the guy played dumb to the point of
downloading Support.me to a dummy computer to see what the scammers would
do.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:23:19 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

Ned Turnbull wrote:

I spoke with the police department, who pretty much has confirmed that
the files they wanted me to download are not the payload. Those files
are merely legitimate remote access programs.

http://www.techcentral.co.za/we-scam...cammers/50579/

It was a slow day at TechCenter so the guy played dumb to the point of
downloading Support.me to a dummy computer to see what the scammers would
do.

Or when you get a call......

"Just a minute please."

Hit a few buttons to make some tones. "This is the call." Then
disguise your voice.

"This is Chief Inspector Columbo from Interpol. I am calling from our
office in South Africa, and this call is presently being traced. You
will be charged under international law with Attemped Fraud and will
be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. You are looking at a
minimum of ten years in prison. We will see you soon."

See how quickly he hangs up.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

Ned Turnbull wrote:

I spoke with the police department, who pretty much has confirmed that
the files they wanted me to download are not the payload. Those files
are merely legitimate remote access programs.

http://www.techcentral.co.za/we-scam...cammers/50579/

It was a slow day at TechCenter so the guy played dumb to the point of
downloading Support.me to a dummy computer to see what the scammers would
do.

Well that gives most of the answers about how they operate and what they're
after.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

On 2014-08-27, the Omrud wrote:

On 27/08/2014 20:40, Mark Lloyd wrote:

For a lot of calls I get, caller ID NAME shows as one of:

Those, I don't answer let the answering machine get it. Fewer than .1%
leave a message. It's like they know what they're selling isn't
worthwhile, and if you have a chance to think about it you won't want it.

The auto-diallers which these scammers use can recognise an answering
machine and so do not put the call through to a human but just drop it.

I haven't tried this yet (I get very few unwanted calls, for some
reason), but I have heard that if you record the "out of service"
error tone at the beginning of your outgoing message, auto-diallers
will recognize it & often delete your number from their list.

--
I have a natural revulsion to any operating system that shows so
little planning as to have to named all of its commands after
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:38:46 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:45:06 -0400, Frank

wrote:

What really annoys me is that while the government cannot stop the

crooks calling from out of the country, the telephone companies know

where they are but will not cut them off since they profit from all

these calls.

IDK how exactly the phone company is supposed to become the police
agency to intercept and cuttoff phone calls. The phone company doesn't
investigate who's a shyster from India, who isn't and what phone numbers
they are using. Some authority with policing powers would have to be
the one to investigate, get an order, then have the phone company enforce
it. And it's not going to work. With telecom having morphed into VOIP,
etc, as soon as you blocked some phone numbers, they would switch to new
numbers. And which phone company do you have do this? Every carrier in
the USA is supposed to have a blocked list? A lot of work for those trying
to block and easy for the shysters.
to get around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What really annoys me is that while the government cannot stop the
crooks calling from out of the country, the telephone companies know
where they are but will not cut them off since they profit from all
these calls.

They need to clone the "private attorney general" language from the A.D.A.
law into the do not call law. Then there will be drive by lawsuits where
they belong.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

On 2014-08-27, the Omrud wrote:

On 27/08/2014 20:40, Mark Lloyd wrote:

For a lot of calls I get, caller ID NAME shows as one of:

Those, I don't answer let the answering machine get it. Fewer than .1%
leave a message. It's like they know what they're selling isn't
worthwhile, and if you have a chance to think about it you won't want it.

The auto-diallers which these scammers use can recognise an answering
machine and so do not put the call through to a human but just drop it.

I haven't tried this yet (I get very few unwanted calls, for some
reason), but I have heard that if you record the "out of service"
error tone at the beginning of your outgoing message, auto-diallers
will recognize it & often delete your number from their list.

That has been talked about and appears to be somewhat effective.

http://lifehacker.com/343595/trick-a...ling-you-again

They may be on to that trick by now, after all this has been available
since around 2005.

Wikipedia has a number of tones recorded that may be fun to play with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tones

If it is successful please report back!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/28/2014 09:21 AM, Adam Funk wrote:

[snip]

I haven't tried this yet (I get very few unwanted calls, for some
reason), but I have heard that if you record the "out of service"
error tone at the beginning of your outgoing message, auto-diallers
will recognize it & often delete your number from their list.

I have a device on my home phone that answers and plays a message
"please press 1 ....". So far, the auto-dialers don't press 1, and my
phone doesn't ring (just answering machine).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"My faith is strong I don't need proofs, but every time a new fact comes
along it simply confirms my faith." Palmer Joss in Carl Sagan's Contact
(New York: Pocket Books, 1985), p. 172.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:09:04 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

Some authority with policing powers would have to be
the one to investigate, get an order, then have the phone company enforce
it. And it's not going to work.

I complained following instructions here ...
http://netsecurity.about.com/od/howt...cams-Fraud.htm

Specifically, I went he
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

On 8/27/2014 8:17 AM, Ned Turnbull wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:26:01 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

in nearly all of them the accent has sounded Indian to me.

That's interesting.
Do you know if the accent is particular to any specific region?

Here's a neat quiz to give a location by words you use.
Only good in the US though. I bet the government is developing such a
program for homeland security.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...map.html?_r=2&

I took it and it said I was probably from Grand Rapids, Detroit or
Toledo. Darn close to Kalamazoo Mi., where I was born and lived for
about 40 years. Apparently I didn't loose my native speech even though I
have lived in Florida for 20 years.

Mikek

---

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

Hans Aberg wrote:

On 2014/08/27 19:20, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Hans Aberg wrote:

On 2014/08/27 15:16, Ned Turnbull wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:17:18 -0400, Mayayana wrote:

Indeed. And don't people have caller ID?

I don't have caller ID on my landline, unfortunately.

Here in Sweden, one typically has to order it from the phone company and
pay a few bucks a month. For mobile phones, it is built into the
protocol, so they always have it.

Caller ID isn't available to people who use the Lifeline phone
service.

That's bad, because malicious phone calls typically have withheld Caller
ID and do not leave a message on the answering machine.

You can't have anything other than local phone service for
that type of account.

What is this and why can't one have Caller ID presentation on that?

It is a zero frills landline service for the disabled or senior
citizens to have access to medical help. They remove the federal taxes,
in exchange for giving you basic service at a low price.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/lifeline-and-link-affordable-telephone-service-income-eligible-consumers

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

Tony Hwang wrote:

Latest call is from Pakistan for duct cleaning job, blah, blah.

Tell them they were cleaned last week, by their company. Then ask just
how bad is their workmanship.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

rbowman wrote:

Ned Turnbull wrote:

I spoke with the police department, who pretty much has confirmed that
the files they wanted me to download are not the payload. Those files
are merely legitimate remote access programs.

http://www.techcentral.co.za/we-scam...cammers/50579/

It was a slow day at TechCenter so the guy played dumb to the point of
downloading Support.me to a dummy computer to see what the scammers would
do.

An hour and eight minutes of a guy messing with a fake support site,
until his throw away cell phone fails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGGpgieEewI&list=UUMeZ9Zwz5tWw9_kaZzzjZ5w

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

On 2014-08-27, the Omrud wrote:

[...]

Well, I guess they have 3 or 4 choices:

1. delete numbers that result in an out-of-service tone;
2. keep all numbers in the list & continue to waste money (maybe not
much) dialling numbers that are out of service;
3a. let ASR try to analyse the voice messages after the tone to decide
whether to keep or delete the numbers;
3b. pay someone to listen to the messages to do that.

Wikipedia has a number of tones recorded that may be fun to play with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tones

Interesting, thanks.

--
Master Foo said: "A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like
a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:24:27 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

An hour and eight minutes of a guy messing with a fake support site,
until his throw away cell phone fails:

This was published today, where they had the scammers on for two hours,
and it was *exactly* the same script used on me earlier this week!

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/08/29/...curity-expert/

I suspect this scam is going to hit most of you, so, be ready with
the Virtual Machine, and the recorder (or just hang up, depending on
your investigative personality quotient).
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

amdx wrote:

I took it and it said I was probably from Grand Rapids, Detroit or
Toledo. Darn close to Kalamazoo Mi., where I was born and lived for
about 40 years. Apparently I didn't loose my native speech even though I
have lived in Florida for 20 years.

Interestingm but it listed Madison and Milwaukee WI and Rockford IL. I've
been through all three, which is about as close as I've gotten.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

Ned Turnbull wrote:

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:24:27 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

An hour and eight minutes of a guy messing with a fake support site,
until his throw away cell phone fails:

This was published today, where they had the scammers on for two hours,
and it was *exactly* the same script used on me earlier this week!

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/08/29/...curity-expert/

I suspect this scam is going to hit most of you, so, be ready with
the Virtual Machine, and the recorder (or just hang up, depending on
your investigative personality quotient).

They have never been on the line more than five minutes before they
curse me out, and hang up.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 03:54:33 +0000 (UTC), Ned Turnbull
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:24:27 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

An hour and eight minutes of a guy messing with a fake support site,
until his throw away cell phone fails:

This was published today, where they had the scammers on for two hours,
and it was *exactly* the same script used on me earlier this week!

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/08/29/...curity-expert/

I suspect this scam is going to hit most of you, so, be ready with
the Virtual Machine, and the recorder (or just hang up, depending on
your investigative personality quotient).

I think you have to string them along for a while. If you just hang up they
seem to call back, unless there are thousands of freelance scammers with the
same script.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

wrote:

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:24:27 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[snip]

I think you have to string them along for a while. If you just hang up they
seem to call back, unless there are thousands of freelance scammers with the
same script.

How about the old low tech method for harassing phone calls?

Talk low so you know the person has the phone tightly clenched to his
ear... pull out a loud police whistle and.... That's all folks!

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:56:02 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

They have never been on the line more than five minutes before they
curse me out, and hang up.

Reminds me of Jury duty.
Within one or two questions, I always get "Juror number 7, you are excused"...

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

Hans Aberg wrote:

[...]

I saw that one, but also in Sweden, Caller ID is typically not included
in the basic landline: you have to pay a few bucks a month to get that.
Is that not possible on this type of landlines (for which there is no
equivalent in Sweden)?

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

Hans Aberg wrote:

[...]

No. If you want frills, you have to pay full price for basic service
first.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

Ned Turnbull wrote:

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:56:02 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

They have never been on the line more than five minutes before they
curse me out, and hang up.

Reminds me of Jury duty.
Within one or two questions, I always get "Juror number 7, you are excused"...

The last time I was summoned for jury duty I never made it past the
registration point. The open wounds on my legs scared the crap out of
them.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

The last time I was summoned for jury duty I never made it past the
registration point. The open wounds on my legs scared the crap out
of them.

Here's how to get out of jury duty:

"I'm an intellectual. I read non-fiction, and carefully consider what I'm
reading. I will listen carefully to all the evidence, and make a careful,
considered judgment, with the least prejudice possible."

You'll be rejected in a microsecond -- nay a nanosecond.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.lang

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:26:42 -0500, amdx wrote:

On 8/27/2014 8:17 AM, Ned Turnbull wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:26:01 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

in nearly all of them the accent has sounded Indian to me.

That's interesting.
Do you know if the accent is particular to any specific region?

Here's a neat quiz to give a location by words you use.
Only good in the US though. I bet the government is developing such a
program for homeland security.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...map.html?_r=2&

I took it and it said I was probably from Grand Rapids, Detroit or
Toledo. Darn close to Kalamazoo Mi., where I was born and lived for
about 40 years. Apparently I didn't loose my native speech even though I
have lived in Florida for 20 years.

Mikek

---

The results said I was from Philadelphia or the NYC area though I
haven't lived in the Philly area for over 45 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 09:12:10 -0500, chuck wrote:

Here's a neat quiz to give a location by words you use.
Only good in the US though. I bet the government is developing such a
program for homeland security.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...map.html?_r=2&

I took it and it said I was probably from Grand Rapids, Detroit or
Toledo. Darn close to Kalamazoo Mi., where I was born and lived for
about 40 years. Apparently I didn't loose my native speech even though I
have lived in Florida for 20 years.

Mikek

The results said I was from Philadelphia or the NYC area though I
haven't lived in the Philly area for over 45 years.

Pegged me for Philly to and I moved away in 1981. I guess you never
lose some of the local terms though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2014 10:42 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Here's a neat quiz to give a location by words you use.
Only good in the US though. I bet the government is developing such a
program for homeland security.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...map.html?_r=2&

Pegged me for Philly to and I moved away in 1981. I guess you never
lose some of the local terms though.

My English accent had me in the red zone, also.
--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can any of you tell, from the accent of this English, WHERE it comes from? Philly

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 09:12:10 -0500, chuck wrote:

The results said I was from Philadelphia or the NYC area though I
haven't lived in the Philly area for over 45 years.

Pegged me for Philly to and I moved away in 1981. I guess you never
lose some of the local terms though.

It's like a dormant infectious disease. One knows they have it but live with
it. When I traveled everyone seemed to know I was from the Philly area. Then
they would tell me they used to live in the area but I could never hear any
dialects. Oh well my hearing is bad...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Tekkie®:
When I traveled everyone seemed to know I was from the Philly area. Then
they would tell me they used to live in the area but I could never hear any
dialects. Oh well my hearing is bad...

We used to joke about the guy, fresh from Russia and 10 years of
intensive English-language study getting off the plane at Philly
International... And the first real, live, authentic English he hears is
two baggage guys:

"Yo Tucci, ja-eat-jet?"

"No, ju?"

"Wanna gedda hoagie?"
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 13:34:42 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Tekkie®:
When I traveled everyone seemed to know I was from the Philly area. Then
they would tell me they used to live in the area but I could never hear any
dialects. Oh well my hearing is bad...

We used to joke about the guy, fresh from Russia and 10 years of
intensive English-language study getting off the plane at Philly
International... And the first real, live, authentic English he hears is
two baggage guys:

"Yo Tucci, ja-eat-jet?"

"No, ju?"

"Wanna gedda hoagie?"

I need a "tar arn". My tar is flat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2014 3:28 PM, Oren wrote:
We used to joke about the guy, fresh from Russia and 10 years of
intensive English-language study getting off the plane at Philly
International... And the first real, live, authentic English he hears is
two baggage guys:

"Yo Tucci, ja-eat-jet?"

"No, ju?"

"Wanna gedda hoagie?"

I need a "tar arn". My tar is flat.

Gamme tarpum. No?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 16:04:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 9/5/2014 3:28 PM, Oren wrote:
We used to joke about the guy, fresh from Russia and 10 years of
intensive English-language study getting off the plane at Philly
International... And the first real, live, authentic English he hears is
two baggage guys:

"Yo Tucci, ja-eat-jet?"

"No, ju?"

"Wanna gedda hoagie?"

I need a "tar arn". My tar is flat.

Gamme tarpum. No?

See: How to Speak Redneck!

Bub - the light bub burned out
Cheer - What you set in
Crick - A small stream
Flar - A rose is a purdy flar

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/5/2014 3:28 PM, Oren wrote:
We used to joke about the guy, fresh from Russia and 10 years of
intensive English-language study getting off the plane at Philly
International... And the first real, live, authentic English he hears is
two baggage guys:

"Yo Tucci, ja-eat-jet?"

"No, ju?"

"Wanna gedda hoagie?"

I need a "tar arn". My tar is flat.

Gamme tarpum. No?

See: How to Speak Redneck!

Bub - the light bub burned out
Cheer - What you set in
Crick - A small stream
Flar - A rose is a purdy flar

Frahz: What you get wit your burger.
Cho: Not mahn, hit be cho frahz.
Aga: Item ordered at diner. Aga curly frahz.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/5/2014 3:28 PM, Oren wrote:
We used to joke about the guy, fresh from Russia and 10 years of
intensive English-language study getting off the plane at Philly
International... And the first real, live, authentic English he hears is
two baggage guys:

"Yo Tucci, ja-eat-jet?"

"No, ju?"

"Wanna gedda hoagie?"

I need a "tar arn". My tar is flat.

Gamme tarpum. No?

See: How to Speak Redneck!

Bub - the light bub burned out
Cheer - What you set in
Crick - A small stream
Flar - A rose is a purdy flar

Frahz: What you get wit your burger.
Cho: Not mahn, hit be cho frahz.
Aga: Item ordered at diner. Aga curly frahz.

That is Yankee talk!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Oren:
See: How to Speak Redneck!

My brother had to fly down to some little town in Louisiana to scope out
a welding business his company was interested in acquiring.

He spent quite awhile looking for the business' (black) shale drive
until it dawned on him that he was actually looking for a (white
crushed) shell drive.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 20:31:20 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

He spent quite awhile looking for the business' (black) shale drive
until it dawned on him that he was actually looking for a (white
crushed) shell drive.

G Crushed oyster shells used to be used on drive ways in the south.
Not sure about it now, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Per Tekkie®:
When I traveled everyone seemed to know I was from the Philly area. Then
they would tell me they used to live in the area but I could never hear any
dialects. Oh well my hearing is bad...

We used to joke about the guy, fresh from Russia and 10 years of
intensive English-language study getting off the plane at Philly
International... And the first real, live, authentic English he hears is
two baggage guys:

"Yo Tucci, ja-eat-jet?"

"No, ju?"

"Wanna gedda hoagie?"

Yeah! That sums it up. Howa bout a steak hoagie?

--
Tekkie