Posted to alt.home.repair
Reg Reg is offline

Default Your opinion on an accent tile

I like the color of this piece for a counter top I'm doing, but it's
actually thicker than the main tile and thicker than almost all tile I've
seen except maybe marble or granite. I'm using 13x13 ceramic which is about
5/16" thick and this accent tile is 3/8". Not too much thicker but do you
think it will look odd not being flush? I'ts going vertical so won't be
stepped on.

Many other accent tiles at Lowes are this way also.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6VE&lpage=none

I went to Lowes and bought it so I have it in hand. I like it being a
little thicker but I'll have to sell the house too and don't want the job to
look amatuer, even though it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=20062-3....

I went to Lowes and bought it so I have it in hand. *I like it being a
little thicker but I'll have to sell the house too and don't want the job to
look amatuer, even though it is.

The surface will be flush. You will make it that way. Anything else
is wrong - particularly for a counter top. Use a bit more thinset
under the thinner tile and use a block of wood and a rubber mallet to
tap the tile flush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reg" wrote in message

I like the color of this piece for a counter top I'm doing, but it's
actually thicker than the main tile and thicker than almost all tile I've
seen except maybe marble or granite. I'm using 13x13 ceramic which is
about 5/16" thick and this accent tile is 3/8". Not too much thicker but
do you think it will look odd not being flush? I'ts going vertical so
won't be stepped on.

Many other accent tiles at Lowes are this way also.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6VE&lpage=none

I went to Lowes and bought it so I have it in hand. I like it being a
little thicker but I'll have to sell the house too and don't want the job
to look amatuer, even though it is.

countertops that are not flush make it extremely hard to use. pans and
cutting boards rock, cups tilt, tile edges wear abnormally, things slid over
the surface catch, etc.

you could set the field tiles higher than the accent tiles, but that would
be a pain for installation.

you, and the next buyer, are going to hate them once they're in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reg wrote:
I like the color of this piece for a counter top I'm doing, but it's
actually thicker than the main tile and thicker than almost all tile
I've seen except maybe marble or granite. I'm using 13x13 ceramic
which is about 5/16" thick and this accent tile is 3/8". Not too
much thicker but do you think it will look odd not being flush?

Rather than trying to raise all other tiles to the height of the thick one
it would be much easier IMO just to rout a recess for the one thick one(s).
___________

I'ts going vertical so won't be stepped on.

How can it go vertical on a countertop?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:12*am, "Reg" wrote:
I like the color of this piece for a counter top I'm doing, but it's
actually thicker than the main tile and thicker than almost all tile I've
seen except maybe marble or granite. *I'm using 13x13 ceramic which is about
5/16" thick and this accent tile is 3/8". *Not too much thicker but do you
think it will look odd not being flush? *I'ts going vertical so won't be
stepped on.

Many other accent tiles at Lowes are this way also.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=20062-3....

I went to Lowes and bought it so I have it in hand. *I like it being a
little thicker but I'll have to sell the house too and don't want the job to
look amatuer, even though it is.

Your countertop tiles "are going vertical so they wont be stepped on"
ok I agree have another beer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2008 8:35 AM dadiOH spake thus:

Reg wrote:

I like the color of this piece for a counter top I'm doing, but it's
actually thicker than the main tile and thicker than almost all tile
I've seen except maybe marble or granite. I'm using 13x13 ceramic
which is about 5/16" thick and this accent tile is 3/8". Not too
much thicker but do you think it will look odd not being flush?

Rather than trying to raise all other tiles to the height of the thick one
it would be much easier IMO just to rout a recess for the one thick one(s).

I'ts going vertical so won't be stepped on.

How can it go vertical on a countertop?

I read that as meaning it's going to be part of the backsplash.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reg wrote:

I like the color of this piece for a counter top I'm doing, but it's
actually thicker than the main tile and thicker than almost all tile
I've seen except maybe marble or granite. I'm using 13x13 ceramic
which is about 5/16" thick and this accent tile is 3/8". Not too
much thicker but do you think it will look odd not being flush?

Rather than trying to raise all other tiles to the height of the
thick one it would be much easier IMO just to rout a recess for the
one thick one(s).
I'ts going vertical so won't be stepped on.

How can it go vertical on a countertop?

I read that as meaning it's going to be part of the backsplash.

In that case I'd just let it stick up a bit.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Reg Reg is offline

s.com...

Reg wrote:

I like the color of this piece for a counter top I'm doing, but it's
actually thicker than the main tile and thicker than almost all tile
I've seen except maybe marble or granite. I'm using 13x13 ceramic
which is about 5/16" thick and this accent tile is 3/8". Not too
much thicker but do you think it will look odd not being flush?

Rather than trying to raise all other tiles to the height of the thick
one it would be much easier IMO just to rout a recess for the one thick
one(s).

I'ts going vertical so won't be stepped on.

How can it go vertical on a countertop?

I read that as meaning it's going to be part of the backsplash.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken

yes it's the backsplash.

Opinion on tile cutter ? Mike P UK diy 10 January 23rd 08 03:52 PM
Opinion on tile cutter ? John UK diy 0 January 20th 08 10:42 AM
installing thin accent wall tile Tom[_2_] Home Repair 2 August 8th 07 10:14 PM
Wood accent in tile floor [email protected] Woodworking 7 February 14th 06 07:43 PM
Marble Tile Cutting In Accent Tiles traderfjp Home Repair 5 April 4th 05 07:55 PM