Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery jumper units

I was just in a auto fix it place and they were selling these LIon
battery unit capable of assisting in start a car with a dead battery.
This is the unit they were selling:
http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Ba..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t
I like this unit because it can also charge all you tablets, smartphone
and laptops. There's even a 19 volt output to power a laptop. They guy
said he didn't really believe that they were that good, however, after
getting one and using on several occasions, he was sold on it. He
charged too much, but that's retail.

Anyone have any experience in these, or similar products?
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2014 12:15 PM, Art Todesco wrote:
I was just in a auto fix it place and they were selling these LIon
battery unit capable of assisting in start a car with a dead battery.
This is the unit they were selling:
http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Ba..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t

I like this unit because it can also charge all you tablets, smartphone
and laptops. There's even a 19 volt output to power a laptop. They guy
said he didn't really believe that they were that good, however, after
getting one and using on several occasions, he was sold on it. He
charged too much, but that's retail.

Anyone have any experience in these, or similar products?
Thanks.

I saw the spec for the battery. Work out to about 4
amp hours. My jumper packs are 17 and 19 amp hours.
I doubt that will jump vehicles very well. Might
do the other functions.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:10:52 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 8/15/2014 12:15 PM, Art Todesco wrote:
I was just in a auto fix it place and they were selling these LIon
battery unit capable of assisting in start a car with a dead battery.
This is the unit they were selling:
http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Ba..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t

I like this unit because it can also charge all you tablets, smartphone
and laptops. There's even a 19 volt output to power a laptop. They guy
said he didn't really believe that they were that good, however, after
getting one and using on several occasions, he was sold on it. He
charged too much, but that's retail.

Anyone have any experience in these, or similar products?
Thanks.

I saw the spec for the battery. Work out to about 4
amp hours. My jumper packs are 17 and 19 amp hours.
I doubt that will jump vehicles very well. Might
do the other functions.

That depends on how it is rated. 4AH, 8 amps for 30 minutes, 16 amps
for 15 minutes, 32 amps for 5.5 minutes, 240 amps for 1 minute.

IF the battery is designed to produce high current (low internal
resistance) it is very possible that it could start an engine with a
dead battery. Mabee even 480 amps for 30 seconds - - - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight sells a basic jump starting unit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...ply-60657.html

Or they have a fancy unit for doing more devices with it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-...art-60703.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2014 3:08 PM, wrote:
Harbor Freight sells a basic jump starting unit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...ply-60657.html

Or they have a fancy unit for doing more devices with it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-...art-60703.html

My 22 amp HF jumper pack didn't start my Blazer,
one morning. I'd just bought the pack, and had
it on charge the whole night before.

Tried my 17 amp Winchester Sport Pac which did
start it. Took the Horrid Fright unit back,
and bought one (for my work van) from Napa Auto
Parts. It cost more, but has worked many times
for me. And worked for other stranded motorists.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:41:48 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 8/15/2014 3:08 PM, wrote:
Harbor Freight sells a basic jump starting unit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...ply-60657.html

Or they have a fancy unit for doing more devices with it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-...art-60703.html

My 22 amp HF jumper pack didn't start my Blazer,
one morning. I'd just bought the pack, and had
it on charge the whole night before.

Tried my 17 amp Winchester Sport Pac which did
start it. Took the Horrid Fright unit back,
and bought one (for my work van) from Napa Auto
Parts. It cost more, but has worked many times
for me. And worked for other stranded motorists.

It's not the amp hours that matter for a booster pack, it's the CCA
(or ca) rating. How much current can it supply for a short time, not
how long can it supply a low current.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2014 5:39 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:41:48 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 8/15/2014 3:08 PM,
wrote:
Harbor Freight sells a basic jump starting unit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...ply-60657.html

Or they have a fancy unit for doing more devices with it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-...art-60703.html

My 22 amp HF jumper pack didn't start my Blazer,
one morning. I'd just bought the pack, and had
it on charge the whole night before.

Tried my 17 amp Winchester Sport Pac which did
start it. Took the Horrid Fright unit back,
and bought one (for my work van) from Napa Auto
Parts. It cost more, but has worked many times
for me. And worked for other stranded motorists.

It's not the amp hours that matter for a booster pack, it's the CCA
(or ca) rating. How much current can it supply for a short time, not
how long can it supply a low current.

Yeah, my mechanic said he's already used it to start 2 tractors on his
property. He said that he could have gotten an extension cord to the
area and used a traditional battery charger or booster, but this was so
easy. He also said that is started a car and the unit hadn't been
charged for something like 8 or 9 months. The manufacturer recommends
about every 6 months and it can be charged via a wall wart or the
lighter socket plug in the car. My son looked at the amazon ad and saw
that there were 4.5 stars with 156 overwhelmingly positive reviews.
BTW, one of the good engineering things is that the cables to your
battery are only about 6" long, almost eliminating any cable resistance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2014 8:58 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
Yeah, my mechanic said he's already used it to start 2 tractors on his
property. He said that he could have gotten an extension cord to the
area and used a traditional battery charger or booster, but this was so
easy. He also said that is started a car and the unit hadn't been
charged for something like 8 or 9 months. The manufacturer recommends
about every 6 months and it can be charged via a wall wart or the
lighter socket plug in the car. My son looked at the amazon ad and saw
that there were 4.5 stars with 156 overwhelmingly positive reviews. BTW,
one of the good engineering things is that the cables to your battery
are only about 6" long, almost eliminating any cable resistance.

On the other hand, some times there is new
technology and I don't quite grok it for a
long time. This sounds like such a moment.

--
..
Christopher A. Young