Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brother MFC 210C

Installed windows update software (win7), cleaned print heads, reset purge count, replaced printer cartridges, all 4. And whenever I try to print the pages are blank. Just like the paper I put in to print on. No error messages. Have I missed the obvious solution?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/8/14, 7:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
J Burns wrote:
On 8/8/14, 12:34 PM, wrote:
Installed windows update software (win7), cleaned print heads, reset
purge count, replaced printer cartridges, all 4. And whenever I try
to print the pages are blank. Just like the paper I put in to print
on. No error messages. Have I missed the obvious solution?

After my 4th inkjet, I found the obvious solution was a Brother laser
printer. Two things cause an inkjet printer to have trouble: using it
and not using it.

I bought monochrome, after checking cartridge costs for that model. It
was trouble-free until it failed. When I saw how low my annual and
per-page costs had been, I bought another Brother laser.

Color lasers are better than they once were for photos, but toner costs
can be much higher than monochrome.

Hi,
I am just happy with Canon MP990 photo inkjet.
Ink cost is reasonable, prints excellent pictures.
Never jams paper. WiFi connection to a router, so any one
can print in the house.

My last inkjet was a Canon BJC-6000, back about 2000. It was more
practical than the Epson Stylus it replaced. Eventually, the Canon
electronics quit. When I thought about the trouble and expense over the
years, I went to a laser. The inkjet could make nice photos, but people
preferred to view photos on computer screens. Color would be nice for
printing a map, though.

I like a separate flatbed scanner. I can choose just the printer and
just the scanner I want, and each is cheaper to replace than a combo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:

After my 4th inkjet, I found the obvious solution was a Brother laser
printer. Two things cause an inkjet printer to have trouble: using it
and not using it.

I always fell into the latter category. Fire the damn thing up every three
months, scrub the cartridges with ammonia, and maybe coax it to life. I
bought a Samsung color laser and never looked back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
J Burns wrote:

After my 4th inkjet, I found the obvious solution was a Brother laser
printer. Two things cause an inkjet printer to have trouble: using it
and not using it.

I always fell into the latter category. Fire the damn thing up every three
months, scrub the cartridges with ammonia, and maybe coax it to life. I
bought a Samsung color laser and never looked back.

Hi,
We print every day. Printer is never turned off, on stand-by when not
printing. Power consumption on stand-by is negligible. Never had
print head problem. Printer has some smarts it cleans head when it needs
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2014 10:42 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
rbowman wrote:
J Burns wrote:

After my 4th inkjet, I found the obvious solution was a Brother laser
printer. Two things cause an inkjet printer to have trouble: using it
and not using it.

I always fell into the latter category. Fire the damn thing up every
three
months, scrub the cartridges with ammonia, and maybe coax it to life. I
bought a Samsung color laser and never looked back.

Hi,
We print every day. Printer is never turned off, on stand-by when not
printing. Power consumption on stand-by is negligible. Never had
print head problem. Printer has some smarts it cleans head when it needs
it.

He won't read this cause he never looks back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

after years of owning printers,
and being held hostage to Color cartridges

I now own a Brother HL-2280DW

I will never again buy a Color printer;
it's black & white for me, from now on

[unless I hit the lottery, of course]

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 8, 2014 6:52:28 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:
On 8/8/14, 12:34 PM, wrote:

Installed windows update software (win7), cleaned print heads, reset

purge count, replaced printer cartridges, all 4. And whenever I try

to print the pages are blank. Just like the paper I put in to print

on. No error messages. Have I missed the obvious solution?

After my 4th inkjet, I found the obvious solution was a Brother laser

printer. Two things cause an inkjet printer to have trouble: using it

and not using it.

Mostly the latter, in my case. I had one of the earliest HP laserjets as
my first printer, the LJIIP. Got it a distributer cost and I think it
was still $800 back then. It worked perfectly for probably 10+ years.
Then it went kaput. I want a MFC type machine, so I got an ink jet one,
because then laser ones were still too expensive. It was no match for
the laserjet. I didn't use it frequently, and with the LJ, that didn't
matter. With the IJ, the heads clog up. And they aren't cheap....

Now I have a laser MFC and once again, no problems. Even the toner lasts
a very long time, many years with my usage.

I bought monochrome, after checking cartridge costs for that model. It

was trouble-free until it failed. When I saw how low my annual and

per-page costs had been, I bought another Brother laser.

Color lasers are better than they once were for photos, but toner costs

can be much higher than monochrome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/14, 12:15 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 8, 2014 6:52:28 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:

After my 4th inkjet, I found the obvious solution was a Brother laser

printer. Two things cause an inkjet printer to have trouble: using it

and not using it.

Mostly the latter, in my case. I had one of the earliest HP laserjets as
my first printer, the LJIIP. Got it a distributer cost and I think it
was still $800 back then. It worked perfectly for probably 10+ years.
Then it went kaput. I want a MFC type machine, so I got an ink jet one,
because then laser ones were still too expensive. It was no match for
the laserjet. I didn't use it frequently, and with the LJ, that didn't
matter. With the IJ, the heads clog up. And they aren't cheap....

Now I have a laser MFC and once again, no problems. Even the toner lasts
a very long time, many years with my usage.

I worked in a home office from 1985 to 1998. That was the first time I
had regular access to a printer for personal use. The first was a 144
dpi Apple Imagewriter. The second was a 320 X 216 Imagewriter LQ.

In 1993, we got a 600 dpi Laserwriter Select. It was trouble-free and
rarely needed toner. It was a big investment but was still going strong
when I left in 1998. Text was great, but grayscale images were about
like a newspaper. To reproduce grays, it used pixels of 150 ppi with
only 16 shades.

In 1998, I went to an Epson Stylus so I could print nice color photos.
It could make great pictures, but it was expensive to use and
troublesome. A clogged jet or dripped ink could mar a print. The ink
would smudge. A drop of water would dissolve it, and it would fade.

When it failed, I used an Apple Stylewriter II, a cheap, small inkjet
printer that was 10 years old and hadn't been used in 5 years. A cheap
kit comprising rubbing alcohol and a head "eraser" got it working with
very little trouble.

It was 360 dpi, but text seemed as crisp as the Laserwriter. Grayscale
was much better. By modulating the size of the dots, it would produce
157 shades at much higher resolution than the laser. The ink was
smudgeproof, waterproof, and nonfading, like a Laserwriter.

That proved it was possible to make a very practical inkjet printer. I
went to a Canon Bubblejet because I was still enamored of printing color
photos.

A neighbor bought a Lexmark color inkjet printer, which he used to print
music scores for musicians he played with. He hadn't printed many when
the cartridge ran out. Replacing it cost almost as much as the printer.
After letting it sit a couple of months, he had to replace cartridges
again. I told him each time he replaced cartridges, he was paying
almost as much as the cost of a laser printer, which would have served
him much better. He stuck with his inkjet.

My brother Dave UK diy 12 April 1st 09 10:40 PM
re re my brother Dave UK diy 1 April 1st 09 10:13 PM
Brother Dave Plowman UK diy 2 March 10th 04 12:17 AM
Brother Colin Wilson UK diy 7 March 9th 04 02:26 PM
OT, Big brother! John UK diy 0 January 12th 04 08:39 AM