Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning clothes iron

Clotghes iron sometimes gets stuff stuck on its sole, which makes ironing iffy,

Today I saw a product for $3.99 + tax that consisted of two tubes -- use one entire tube for each cleaning -- that purports to clean sole of iron while hot.

Looked for ingredients but didn't find.

Anybody know what might go into such a product, so I could duplicate it at home?

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:13:36 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Clotghes iron sometimes gets stuff stuck on its sole, which makes ironing iffy,

Today I saw a product for $3.99 + tax that consisted of two tubes -- use one entire tube for each cleaning -- that purports to clean sole of iron while hot.

Looked for ingredients but didn't find.

Anybody know what might go into such a product, so I could duplicate it at home?

TIA

HB

Mom's method: (women know stuff)

- use a flat pan that the iron will fit in, poor white vinegar- place
cold iron in - ensure you do not cover the sole plate all the way,
allow to soak a couple of hours - remove and softly clean the bottom
of the sole

- fill iron with vinegar, let set awhile, heat the iron, then set to
steam and steam all the vinegar out - this cuts the minerals and
clears the minerals out - do this over a sink, sole facing down (may
take a time or two depending on the build-up of minerals)

- once clean - fill with distilled water - NOT tap water (ever)

- when the sole is warn, rub it with a bar of paraffin wax (grocery
aisle) (not much) iron something like a terry cloth first

This will make the iron glide easier.

YMMV depending on your skill set.

(Then watch Fox News Network)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Because you've already learned something real today, so avoid more reality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 11:24:00 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Because you've already learned something real today, so avoid more reality.

"you libs"
--
Liberals are like Chameleons. They keep changing colors. -- © Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Because you've already learned something real today, so avoid more
reality.

"you libs"

You righties!
--
Righties are like bricks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Because you've already learned something real today, so avoid more
reality.

"you libs"

You righties!

....offered some advise on cleaning an iron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Because you've already learned something real today, so avoid more
reality.

"you libs"

You righties!

...offered some advise on cleaning an iron.

That's what I said.

Where? Where did you say that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2014 3:34 PM, Bob F wrote:
Because you've already learned something real today, so avoid more
reality.

"you libs"

You righties!

...offered some advise on cleaning an iron.

That's what I said.

Leftie loser, righty tighty.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

YIKES!!! You're serious??!! I gotta buy distilled H2O! Is that because tap water contains minerals? I ran my former iron on tap water forever and didn't have any trouble. Whatevah..

- when the sole is warn, rub it with a bar of paraffin wax (grocery aisle) (not much) iron something like a terry cloth first. This will make the iron glide easier.

YMMV depending on your skill set.

[...]

Wow, your mother sounds like some kinda lady!
Not sure if these are separate suggestions, or one protocol in sequence. ?

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2014 2:24 PM, Bob F wrote:
Oren wrote:
- once clean - fill with distilled water - NOT tap water (ever)

- when the sole is warn, rub it with a bar of paraffin wax (grocery
aisle) (not much) iron something like a terry cloth first

This will make the iron glide easier.

YMMV depending on your skill set.

(Then watch Fox News Network)

Because you've already learned something real today, so avoid more reality.

If more people stayed grounded in reality, the
world would be a better place. In so many cultures,
and in so many ways.

For example, people might see reality, instead of
teaching hatred and murder from early years, and
might stop bombing innocent Jews who live next door.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Because you've already learned something real today, so avoid more reality.

"you libs"
-- Liberals are like Chameleons. They keep changing colors. -- © Oren

How about "Liberals are like Chameleons. They
change colors based on where they are speaking,
and seldom show their true colors."

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2014 3:08 PM, Bob F wrote:

You righties!
--
Righties are like bricks.

Solid, dependable, and hold up the world.
Grounded in reality. The foundation of
truth.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Stormie, please reply to the above -- are these separate steps or all one procedure?

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormie, please reply to the above -- are
these separate steps or all one procedure?

HB

I don't know. You could always ask someone who
has contributed to the thread. Why ask me?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Contact your water utility and - maybe their web site has a water
quality report, It will mention minerals. You do not say if you have a
water softener or a Reverse Osmosis. What does the manual for your
iron say to use? Many I've seen is to use distilled water to prevent
calcium / minerals build up inside, which eventually clogs the steam
holes on the sole. And further causes the sole plate to stick when
ironing.

- when the sole is warn, rub it with a bar of paraffin wax (grocery aisle) (not much) iron something like a terry cloth first. This will make the iron glide easier.

YMMV depending on your skill set.

[...]

Wow, your mother sounds like some kinda lady!

She still is

Not sure if these are separate suggestions, or one protocol in sequence. ?

All one sequence when done in the order I mentioned above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 07:58:49 +0200, 10FingersAnd10Toes
wrote:

- when the sole is warn, rub it with a bar of paraffin wax (grocery
aisle) (not much) iron something like a terry cloth first

We used wax paper to get a slick iron. I found it neater and easier to
use than a wax bar

+1

I've witnessed this too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Because you've already learned something real today, so avoid more reality.

"you libs"
-- Liberals are like Chameleons. They keep changing colors. -- © Oren

How about "Liberals are like Chameleons. They
change colors based on where they are speaking,
and seldom show their true colors."

Same difference.
--
"The definition of a liberal, a liberal is somebody that doesn't care what you do as long as it's mandatory". -- Charles Krauthammer