Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Cleaning clothes iron

Oren wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:13:36 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Clotghes iron sometimes gets stuff stuck on its sole, which makes
ironing iffy,

Today I saw a product for $3.99 + tax that consisted of two tubes --
use one entire tube for each cleaning -- that purports to clean sole
of iron while hot.

Looked for ingredients but didn't find.

Anybody know what might go into such a product, so I could duplicate
it at home?

TIA

HB

Mom's method: (women know stuff)

- use a flat pan that the iron will fit in, poor white vinegar- place
cold iron in - ensure you do not cover the sole plate all the way,
allow to soak a couple of hours - remove and softly clean the bottom
of the sole

- fill iron with vinegar, let set awhile, heat the iron, then set to
steam and steam all the vinegar out - this cuts the minerals and
clears the minerals out - do this over a sink, sole facing down (may
take a time or two depending on the build-up of minerals)

- once clean - fill with distilled water - NOT tap water (ever)

- when the sole is warn, rub it with a bar of paraffin wax (grocery
aisle) (not much) iron something like a terry cloth first

This will make the iron glide easier.

YMMV depending on your skill set.

(Then watch Fox News Network)

Because you've already learned something real today, so avoid more reality.