Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is wrong with this paragraph? Or is there?

http://www.flotecpump.com/residentia..._faq_sump.aspx

What is wrong with this paragraph? Or is there?

Q. What is the most common cause of sump pump failure?
A. Probably the most common cause of sump pump failure is electrical in
nature. Plugging the pump into an extension cord, or an outlet that
shares a circuit breaker with other electrical items, can cause the pump
to receive low voltage. In order to run it then has to draw higher amps.
That causes the pump to run hotter. Heat is the enemy of electric motors
and can shorten the life of a pump dramatically. We recommend the pump
be plugged directly into an outlet (no extension cords) and that the
outlet be the only thing powered by the circuit breaker (or fuse) that
feeds it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2014 6:00 PM, micky wrote:

http://www.flotecpump.com/residentia..._faq_sump.aspx

What is wrong with this paragraph? Or is there?

Q. What is the most common cause of sump pump failure?
A. Probably the most common cause of sump pump failure is electrical in
nature. Plugging the pump into an extension cord, or an outlet that
shares a circuit breaker with other electrical items, can cause the pump
to receive low voltage. In order to run it then has to draw higher amps.
That causes the pump to run hotter. Heat is the enemy of electric motors
and can shorten the life of a pump dramatically. We recommend the pump
be plugged directly into an outlet (no extension cords) and that the
outlet be the only thing powered by the circuit breaker (or fuse) that
feeds it.

It may have a dangling participle, or some punctuation error.
Other than that, looks good from here.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 18:00:08 -0400, micky
wrote:

http://www.flotecpump.com/residentia..._faq_sump.aspx

What is wrong with this paragraph? Or is there?

Q. What is the most common cause of sump pump failure?
A. Probably the most common cause of sump pump failure is electrical in
nature. Plugging the pump into an extension cord, or an outlet that
shares a circuit breaker with other electrical items, can cause the pump
to receive low voltage. In order to run it then has to draw higher amps.
That causes the pump to run hotter. Heat is the enemy of electric motors
and can shorten the life of a pump dramatically. We recommend the pump
be plugged directly into an outlet (no extension cords) and that the
outlet be the only thing powered by the circuit breaker (or fuse) that
feeds it.

Factually correct from what I see. Often, people put motors on
extension cords meant for a Christmas candle and wonder why the motor
is not working properly. OK to use an extension if it is the right
size, like #12 wire or better. The stuff in the wall is probably #14
or #12 at best. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:00:08 PM UTC-7, micky wrote:
http://www.flotecpump.com/residentia..._faq_sump.aspx

What is wrong with this paragraph? Or is there?

Q. What is the most common cause of sump pump failure?

A. Probably the most common cause of sump pump failure is electrical in

nature. Plugging the pump into an extension cord, or an outlet that

shares a circuit breaker with other electrical items, can cause the pump

to receive low voltage. In order to run it then has to draw higher amps.

That causes the pump to run hotter. Heat is the enemy of electric motors

and can shorten the life of a pump dramatically. We recommend the pump

be plugged directly into an outlet (no extension cords) and that the

outlet be the only thing powered by the circuit breaker (or fuse) that

feeds it.

As a card-carrying member of the Grammar Police, I didn't find a writing problem. If you mean FACTUAL problem, that's above my pay grade.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2014 6:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Factually correct from what I see. Often, people put motors on
extension cords meant for a Christmas candle and wonder why the motor
is not working properly. OK to use an extension if it is the right
size, like #12 wire or better. The stuff in the wall is probably #14
or #12 at best. .

I remember seeing a window AC on a lamp
cord extension. Fellow couldn't figure
out why.... it.....

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2014 6:24 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

As a card-carrying member of the Grammar Police, I

didn't find a writing problem. If you mean FACTUAL
problem, that's above my pay grade.

HB

As the: son of an, editor! I wasnt' able to find
any-thing wrong with that "quoted" paragraph;
punctuation wise??

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.flotecpump.com/residentia..._faq_sump.aspx

What is wrong with this paragraph? Or is there?

Q. What is the most common cause of sump pump failure?
A. Probably the most common cause of sump pump failure is electrical in
nature. Plugging the pump into an extension cord, or an outlet that
shares a circuit breaker with other electrical items, can cause the pump
to receive low voltage. In order to run it then has to draw higher amps.
That causes the pump to run hotter. Heat is the enemy of electric motors
and can shorten the life of a pump dramatically. We recommend the pump
be plugged directly into an outlet (no extension cords) and that the
outlet be the only thing powered by the circuit breaker (or fuse) that
feeds it.

Some people just learning about electricity think of a motor as a
resistive device. Therefore, if you lower the voltage, you also lower
the current per ohm's law. As a result, those people might think the
paragraph is in error. However, there are many different types of
motors and many act like the paragraph describes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 15:00:08 -0700, micky wrote:

http://www.flotecpump.com/residentia..._faq_sump.aspx

What is wrong with this paragraph? Or is there?

Q. What is the most common cause of sump pump failure?
A. Probably the most common cause of sump pump failure is electrical in
nature. Plugging the pump into an extension cord, or an outlet that
shares a circuit breaker with other electrical items, can cause the pump
to receive low voltage. In order to run it then has to draw higher amps.
That causes the pump to run hotter. Heat is the enemy of electric motors
and can shorten the life of a pump dramatically. We recommend the pump
be plugged directly into an outlet (no extension cords) and that the
outlet be the only thing powered by the circuit breaker (or fuse) that
feeds it.

Thermal destruction is not 'electrical' in nature. Well, maybe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You figured out what I was thinking of. Congratulations. You're
prize will be in the mail. I don't know what it will be, but whatever
comes in the mail you should consider to be your prize. Okay, they're
probably not wrong, but I'd have liked it better if they went into one
or two clauses more detail there, so as to not confuse me and a lot of
people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW, I didn't mean to trick you all into looking at grammar and
punctuation. Sorry.