Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dyna Glow 20,000 BTU propane heater

I recently picked up a Dyna Glow 20,000 BTU wall heater. I would like to install it at a hunting cabin (400 sq feet). The question I have is if I hook it up to a 20 lb portable propane tank (outside with a line running into the cabin) do I need to use a regulator like a gas grill. I'm thinking I do but I have no experience with anything like this and since I bought it used it didn't come with a users manual so I thought I would check here.

Thanks,
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2014 9:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If it does not have a regulator built in, it will need an external
regulator.

He'd probably get more BTU without the regulator.
Might not be UL approved, though.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 28, 2014 6:57:27 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/27/2014 9:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If it does not have a regulator built in, it will need an external

regulator.

He'd probably get more BTU without the regulator.

Might not be UL approved, though.

The other issue is whether the heater is designed to run on propane
or nat gas? If Ed's 10 PSI is correct, that's about 3x the pressure of
nat gas. Without modification, I don't think the heater is going to
be happy with the higher pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2014 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The other issue is whether the heater is designed to run on propane
or nat gas? If Ed's 10 PSI is correct, that's about 3x the pressure of
nat gas. Without modification, I don't think the heater is going to
be happy with the higher pressure.

Last I checked, propane was typically 11 inches water
column, natural gas is 3.5 inches. 10 PSI would be a
bit more then either of those.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 28, 2014 8:29:58 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/28/2014 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The other issue is whether the heater is designed to run on propane

or nat gas? If Ed's 10 PSI is correct, that's about 3x the pressure of

nat gas. Without modification, I don't think the heater is going to

be happy with the higher pressure.

Last I checked, propane was typically 11 inches water

column, natural gas is 3.5 inches. 10 PSI would be a

bit more then either of those.

--

Aye Carumba, you're right! Ed must have meant water column, not PSI and I
didn't catch it. So, the pressure units are as you say. But he's still
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2014 8:42 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, July 28, 2014 8:29:58 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Last I checked, propane was typically 11 inches water
column, natural gas is 3.5 inches. 10 PSI would be a
bit more then either of those.

Aye Carumba, you're right! Ed must have meant water column, not PSI and I
didn't catch it. So, the pressure units are as you say. But he's still
left with the issue that the pressures are different and frequently something
designed to be run on nat gas will require modification if it's going to
be run on propane. He needs to determine what fuel the heater is designed
to use. As you suggested, a good place to start would be finding the manual.

Inches, pounds, bleens, microfleems. It's all
so confusing....

Ask for the butcher for a pound of beef, and
he sets the scale for microfleems, and then
I get home and find the recipe asked for two
bleens.

--
..
Christopher A. Young