Posted to alt.home.repair

Default propane heater odor?

A phone call from my aunt had her telling me that she thinks
there's an odor from her propane heater. The odor is slight and she's
not even sure it IS from the propane heater, but it seems to be in that
area.
She describes it as a "rotten egg smell" and she "thinks" it's
from the heater, but said "Maybe something crawled into the woodwork and
died." She had the heater serviced about a month ago and all was
apparantly well then.
Until I can get over there, can anyone offer any ideas on this?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pdk Pdk" wrote in message
A phone call from my aunt had her telling me that she thinks
there's an odor from her propane heater. The odor is slight and she's
not even sure it IS from the propane heater, but it seems to be in that
area.
She describes it as a "rotten egg smell" and she "thinks" it's
from the heater, but said "Maybe something crawled into the woodwork and
died." She had the heater serviced about a month ago and all was
apparantly well then.
Until I can get over there, can anyone offer any ideas on this?
Thanks.

Could well be propane. It is made to stink so people will know when it
leaks. Shut the heater off and the tank too and open a window for a while.
Don't take chances. Find the problem. Don't light matches or ranges either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pdk Pdk wrote:

A phone call from my aunt had her telling me that she thinks
there's an odor from her propane heater. The odor is slight and she's
not even sure it IS from the propane heater, but it seems to be in that
area.
She describes it as a "rotten egg smell" and she "thinks" it's
from the heater, but said "Maybe something crawled into the woodwork and
died." She had the heater serviced about a month ago and all was
apparantly well then.
Until I can get over there, can anyone offer any ideas on this?
Thanks.

Hi,
Possible gas leak or improper combustion. Safety issue.
Rotten egg smell is there to be notice. The sooner, the better.
Have it checked again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pdk Pdk wrote:

A phone call from my aunt had her telling me that she thinks
there's an odor from her propane heater. The odor is slight and she's
not even sure it IS from the propane heater, but it seems to be in that
area.
She describes it as a "rotten egg smell" and she "thinks" it's
from the heater, but said "Maybe something crawled into the woodwork and
died." She had the heater serviced about a month ago and all was
apparantly well then.
Until I can get over there, can anyone offer any ideas on this?
Thanks.

Hi,
Think gas leak and safety!!!!!!
Do something quick just to be sure.
I don't want to hear KaBoom!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pdk Pdk" wrote in message
..
A phone call from my aunt had her telling me that she thinks
there's an odor from her propane heater. The odor is slight and she's
not even sure it IS from the propane heater, but it seems to be in that
area.
She describes it as a "rotten egg smell" and she "thinks" it's
from the heater, but said "Maybe something crawled into the woodwork and
died." She had the heater serviced about a month ago and all was
apparantly well then.
Until I can get over there, can anyone offer any ideas on this?

The smell of 'rotten eggs' has me on alert. CHT. Sewer line gas and it can
be deadly in concentration as any Navy person can tell you. Her heater
would be near the waterlines and might also be near the connection to the
sewer system? In my house, thats on the other side but they can be together
(meaning same side and closely run) in some other places. If it's in a
garage and the garage has a window, have her open the window until it can be
checked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 8:58 pm, (Pdk Pdk) wrote:
A phone call from my aunt had her telling me that she thinks
there's an odor from her propane heater. The odor is slight and she's
not even sure it IS from the propane heater, but it seems to be in that
area.
She describes it as a "rotten egg smell" and she "thinks" it's
from the heater, but said "Maybe something crawled into the woodwork and
died." She had the heater serviced about a month ago and all was
apparantly well then.
Until I can get over there, can anyone offer any ideas on this?
Thanks.

Have her check her propane tank level.Many times you smell that
"rotten egg" smell because the propane level is getting low,
concentrating the additive which makes the smell more apparent. But
have a propane service man do a leak check on the system to be sure.