Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roaches

After using roach bait and boric acid and roach bombs I called in an
exterminator. I picked a guy that does not require a contract. It
turns out that has been a big mistake.

He has been coming once a month since November. He is due back
tomorrow. I am thinking about kicking him to the curb and signing a
contract with another service. I have talked to another exterminator
that says if I still have roaches after 6 months they send out an
expert.

The roaches are gone except for the kitchen, but I still see freshly
born roaches in the kitchen. I know I can't give up the fight, but
even with an "expert" I am loosing the battle.

I would think 6 months any exterminator would be able to kill roaches.
With this guy, I don't see any end in site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roaches (and payment schedules)

On 7/22/2014 10:20 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
After using roach bait and boric acid and roach bombs I called in an
exterminator. I picked a guy that does not require a contract. It
turns out that has been a big mistake.

He has been coming once a month since November. He is due back
tomorrow. I am thinking about kicking him to the curb and signing a
contract with another service. I have talked to another exterminator
that says if I still have roaches after 6 months they send out an
expert.

The roaches are gone except for the kitchen, but I still see freshly
born roaches in the kitchen. I know I can't give up the fight, but
even with an "expert" I am loosing the battle.

I would think 6 months any exterminator would be able to kill roaches.
With this guy, I don't see any end in site.

Would be nice to have a guy who gets paid only if your
house is roach free. Sounds like this guy gets paid
per treatment, so he's got no incentive to kill em off.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seymore4Head" wrote in message
After using roach bait and boric acid and roach bombs I called in an
exterminator. I picked a guy that does not require a contract. It
turns out that has been a big mistake.

He has been coming once a month since November. He is due back
tomorrow. I am thinking about kicking him to the curb and signing a
contract with another service. I have talked to another exterminator
that says if I still have roaches after 6 months they send out an
expert.

The roaches are gone except for the kitchen, but I still see freshly
born roaches in the kitchen. I know I can't give up the fight, but
even with an "expert" I am loosing the battle.

I would think 6 months any exterminator would be able to kill roaches.
With this guy, I don't see any end in site.

I have had a good recommendation for: Maxforce FC Magnum or just Maxforce
Gel. The order site is 'pestproducts.com'.

The active ingredient is fipronil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pico Rico wrote:
[...]

I like Bengal Gold Roach Spray , it has a growth regulator hormone in it ,
they don't mature sexually , can't reproduce . Or so they say , but I've
seen the occasional deformed one with an egg sac . I back it up with a light
dusting of DE (diatomaceous earth , bet ya didn't think I could spell it
....) in all the nooks and crannies they hide in .
Actually , I think our resident Blue Tailed Lizard really ! gets most of
those who actually find their way in . Believe it or not , there are
several species of roach that live out in the woods . They wanna keep
warm/cool too . And (s)he's welcome to them !
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seymore4Head wrote in
:

After using roach bait and boric acid and roach bombs I called in an
exterminator. I picked a guy that does not require a contract. It
turns out that has been a big mistake.

He has been coming once a month since November. He is due back
tomorrow. I am thinking about kicking him to the curb and signing a
contract with another service. I have talked to another exterminator
that says if I still have roaches after 6 months they send out an
expert.

The roaches are gone except for the kitchen, but I still see freshly
born roaches in the kitchen. I know I can't give up the fight, but
even with an "expert" I am loosing the battle.

snip

Most Africans consider roaches a delicacy. Do you have any African
neighbors near by? Maybe they are raising them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/22/2014 09:20 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
After using roach bait and boric acid and roach bombs I called in an
exterminator. I picked a guy that does not require a contract. It
turns out that has been a big mistake.

He has been coming once a month since November. He is due back
tomorrow. I am thinking about kicking him to the curb and signing a
contract with another service. I have talked to another exterminator
that says if I still have roaches after 6 months they send out an
expert.

The roaches are gone except for the kitchen, but I still see freshly
born roaches in the kitchen. I know I can't give up the fight, but
even with an "expert" I am loosing the battle.

I would think 6 months any exterminator would be able to kill roaches.
With this guy, I don't see any end in site.

It depends where you live.

Here in Wisconsin, the good thing about Winter is that it kills off the
insects and problems are rarely permanent.

In the deep South, there is almost nothing you can do to eliminate
insects completely.

Since you say you see them only in the kitchen they are obviously
getting at food and you will need to go over /everything/ with a fine
tooth comb...making sure /all/ food is in sealed containers and to check
under the stove and refrigerator and /inside/ the bottom of the stove
and especially the refrigerator's motor compartment etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:20:56 -0400, Seymore4Head
wrote:

I would think 6 months any exterminator would be able to kill roaches.
With this guy, I don't see any end in site.

Has the guy identified the kind of roaches? German roaches can be
difficult to get rid of. My bug guy uses a product that does now kill
on contact. The roaches (+ argentine ants) die slowly. This allows
them to return to their hiding places and make contact with other
creatures. They die off in cycles, after contact, so to speak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:39:50 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I back it up with a light
dusting of DE (diatomaceous earth , bet ya didn't think I could spell it
...) in all the nooks and crannies they hide in .

Food grade DE is the one to use. Not the DE for pool filters. Pool DE
is heated in a process and removes the sharp microscopic jagged edges.
The food grade is natural as it comes from the earth. The sharp edges
cut the exoskeleton on roaches, black widow spiders. etc. die from
dehydration. A small duster is a way to get the powder in the hiding
places.

http://store.pestproducts.com/Product/-Hand-Bellows-Crusader-Duster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 07:51:05 -0700, Oren wrote:

I would think 6 months any exterminator would be able to kill roaches.
With this guy, I don't see any end in site.

Has the guy identified the kind of roaches? German roaches can be
difficult to get rid of. My bug guy uses a product that does now kill
on contact. The roaches (+ argentine ants) die slowly. This allows
them to return to their hiding places and make contact with other
creatures. They die off in cycles, after contact, so to speak.

....read "not" kill on contact

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:26:05 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:38:57 -0500, philo* wrote:

[...]

I assume he is not talking about "American" roaches, the big ones we
have down south. Usually the problem roach is the little brown
European (the French call them German roaches and the Germans call
them French roaches) or the darker triangle shaped Asian roach.
While it is true they can live in the woods, generally they live in
buildings and winter has little effect on them. People have been
trying to kill them for over 1000 years and they have a tolerance for
most chemicals. Once you are infested it is hard to get rid of them.
You need a combination of sprays and baits. They usually will stop
eating the attractant in any bait before the last one dies.
A good pest control operator should be able to wipe them out as long
as your neighbors are not infected and you are not bringing them in
from the store.

The exterminator says that we are bringing them back in. He may be
right. My niece lives here and she works at a grocery store.
When he said we were bringing them back in, I reminded him of the time
he told me that the poison he uses is supposed to last for a year. He
can't explain why, if we are bringing them back in, why the existing
poison is not killing the new ones.

I had read where roaches get immune to the poison. I have asked if he
uses more than one type of poison. He says he does. After 8 months,
it seems like he may be using water some of the time.

He may be the one bringing them in.

BTW they are German roaches.

By comparison the American roaches (palmetto bug, water bug etc) is
pretty easy to control. They respond to most baits, sprays kill them
and if you treat your yard, they won't be coming in from outside.

BTW cold weather does not have much effect on roaches. They have found
then in unheated shacks in Alaska, They may go dormant but they don't
die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message

Since you say you see them only in the kitchen they are obviously
getting at food and you will need to go over /everything/ with a fine
tooth comb...making sure /all/ food is in sealed containers and to check
under the stove and refrigerator and /inside/ the bottom of the stove
and especially the refrigerator's motor compartment etc.

And water. Get rid of any water that might be available to them. Under
the fridge too.

In 1965 I bought a sailboat. It was heavily infested with German
roaches...cheeky little buggers, they'd parade around as if THEY owned the
boat. Shortly, I hauled the boat (went to drydock) and was out of the
water for almost six weeks, no water anywhere in the boat during that
period and all the roaches disappeared. Did they leave because of lack of
water? Can't say for sure but they were gone and never came back.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:24:56 -0400, Seymore4Head
wrote:

BTW they are German roaches.

Fight them EVERY day. They are resilient. They are tough to fight. It
can be done.

- seal around pipes in the kitchen

- fix areas with moisture

- spray inside, outside the home.

- 24 inches above the foundation on the outside wall

Have you cleaned and washed down your kitchen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

First of all, get rid of all paper/corrugated cardboard you use in
cabinets or for storage....they love to nest in c.c. Wash, seriously
and thoroughly, insides of all cabinets, floors, broiler pans, drip
pans, cat boxes, etc. Clean off all food containers in cabinets, esp.
anything that has been opened.

When I lived in Fl., we had a serious infestation that became horrible
when an upstairs neighbor moved out. We had Sears exterminate, one
time, which cured the problem (five years on). They used a bait which
they said was peanut butter and boric acid....it was applied in little
dabs along baseboards, cabinet shelves, around appliances and then they
took off covers of wall outlets and switches and applied inside them.
They said wall spaces are a favorite place to hide. They were soon gone
and never saw another.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:15:11 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

They used a bait which
they said was peanut butter and boric acid....it was applied in little
dabs along baseboards, cabinet shelves, around appliances and

Instead of "dabs", use bottle caps. Mom called them "cupcakes". She
used strawberry jam, dust them on top with BA, with a little around
each cupcake for good measure. Roaches had to cross the BA to get to
the jam
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They used a bait which
they said was peanut butter and boric acid....it was applied in little
dabs along baseboards, cabinet shelves, around appliances and

Instead of "dabs", use bottle caps. Mom called them "cupcakes". She
used strawberry jam, dust them on top with BA, with a little around
each cupcake for good measure. Roaches had to cross the BA to get to
the jam

I hate roaches.

Had the little *******s when I lived in George, Texas (not so little),
and South PRC (Peoples Republic of California). We used Roach
Proof (Boric Acid Powder) and Roach Motels. It worked.

Wish I'd know about the diatomaceous earth trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They used a bait which
they said was peanut butter and boric acid....it was applied in little
dabs along baseboards, cabinet shelves, around appliances and

Instead of "dabs", use bottle caps. Mom called them "cupcakes". She
used strawberry jam, dust them on top with BA, with a little around
each cupcake for good measure. Roaches had to cross the BA to get to
the jam

I hate roaches.

Had the little *******s when I lived in George, Texas (not so little),
and South PRC (Peoples Republic of California). We used Roach
Proof (Boric Acid Powder) and Roach Motels. It worked.

Wish I'd know about the diatomaceous earth trick.

Hi Oren,

I had heard that the reason why roaches don't get immune
to boric acid power is that it doesn't poison them. It
dehydrates them.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They used a bait which
they said was peanut butter and boric acid....it was applied in little
dabs along baseboards, cabinet shelves, around appliances and

Instead of "dabs", use bottle caps. Mom called them "cupcakes". She
used strawberry jam, dust them on top with BA, with a little around
each cupcake for good measure. Roaches had to cross the BA to get to
the jam

I hate roaches.

Had the little *******s when I lived in George, Texas (not so little),
and South PRC (Peoples Republic of California). We used Roach
Proof (Boric Acid Powder) and Roach Motels. It worked.

Wish I'd know about the diatomaceous earth trick.

_BUGS AFFECTED BY DIATOMACEOUS EARTH_

"...Ants, fire ants, caterpillars, cut worms, army worms, fleas,
ticks, cockroaches, snails, spiders, termites, scorpions, silver fish,
lice, mites, flies, centipedes, earwigs, slugs, aphids, Japanese
beetles (grub stage), fruit flies, corn earworm, cucumber beetles,
corn borer, sting bugs, squash vine borers, thrips, loopers, etc.,
etc.

A study done by ACRES, USA, Inc. advised that after 12 months of grain
storage, the food grade diatomaceous earth treated material had 15
insects, compared to 4884 for malathion and 16,994 for untreated
grain."

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_mites.html

"...Apply DE to ant hills. Small ants, regardless of color, may
require a few applications to completely eliminate them, as they
burrow new hills elsewhere, after we cover their initial hill with DE,
but if we keep at it, eventually they disappear. Big ants are
eliminated within two applications of a reasonable amount of DE
applied to their ant hill. Ants in trash cans can be controlled by
either painting DE around the bottom of the trash can or sprinkling it
dry around it. They'll go elsewhere, as they do not like walking over
DE. Of course, you will need to find their home to completely
eliminate them, but it will keep them away from areas you put DE.
Sprinkled around the house foundation keeps new crawling insects from
coming inside.

Fire ants will need regular application of DE to eliminate them, but
if you continue regular applications, it will eliminate the fire
ants."

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:51:31 -0700, Todd wrote:

I had heard that the reason why roaches don't get immune
to boric acid power is that it doesn't poison them. It
dehydrates them.

My understanding is that BA burns them. I noticed a dead one in the
garage once. Some days later it was gone - basically dissolved
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like useful stuff. Anyone know where to get it locally? I can't
remember seeing it. I'm far too lazy to Google. And besides, I can't
spell 'diatomaceous'.

TIA

--
I love a good meal! So I don't cook.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Jul 2014 17:58:52 GMT, KenK wrote:

Sounds like useful stuff. Anyone know where to get it locally? I can't
remember seeing it. I'm far too lazy to Google. And besides, I can't
spell 'diatomaceous'.

Are you too lazy to operate a phone book? Those things have clues, ya
know. ISTR you live in Arizona - has the largest DE mine in America?

Did the _HABOOB_ hit you in Phoenix the other day?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:6v98t9lp4ng06ppb7u1bvq40hb3pvck3om@
4ax.com:

Did the _HABOOB_ hit you in Phoenix the other day?

I live way south of Phoenix. No weather here lately - just hot - ~115 - 120
for a few days - and some thunder Sunday morning. No unusual dust. Other
than that no weather at all.

--
I love a good meal! So I don't cook.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Jul 2014 17:40:53 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in news:6v98t9lp4ng06ppb7u1bvq40hb3pvck3om@
4ax.com:

Did the _HABOOB_ hit you in Phoenix the other day?

I live way south of Phoenix. No weather here lately - just hot - ~115 - 120
for a few days - and some thunder Sunday morning. No unusual dust. Other
than that no weather at all.

Ken,

I was poking at you with a little humor.

You could look for and find DE (food grade diatomaceous earth) at a
farm supply, agricultural supplies, animal tack & feed supply stores
locally in the phone book. Maybe even in a restaurant supply house.
Dig around if you're really interested.

"HABOOB" is Arabic for a dust storm. Ya'll get them during the monsoon
season. Boobs travel in pairs