Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 12 cu ft frost free fridge not cooling properly

You're 99% sure of being correct. Only question, any sign of an oily leak, where the freon and oil mixture may have leaked out? Or, it could be just a very weak compressor, either way, scope out the weekend ads for bargains.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2014 3:51 PM, nestork wrote:

Well, this is what my evaporator looks like after about 48 hours of
continuous operation with no defrost cycles. I skipped over the defrost
cycles by manually advancing the defrost timer on the fridge.

http://users.usinternet.com/nkelebay...r/Fridge-2.jpg

The evaporator coil has a total of 40 loops; 20 in the front half and 20
in the rear half. There's frost formed on the first 7 coils, and the
rest are bare.

Me thinks it's time for a new fridge.

That's pretty conclusive low refrigerant. I'm sad to
see a refrig scrapped, "only" because of low charge.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

There are no indications of a leak anywhere. If I saw an oily spot somewhere on the floor or in the fridge, I'd certainly investigate. So, it might be a worn out compressor, but in that case it's more economical to buy a new fridge anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin Mormon[_10_] View Post
That's pretty conclusive low refrigerant. I'm sad to
see a refrig scrapped, "only" because of low charge.
They won't allow me to "top up" the refrigerant charge without finding and fixing the leak, and that part is gonna cost a few hundred dollars cuz of the requirement to evacuate the sealed system and find and fix the leak before adding refrigerant.

Well, now I got lots of spare parts for my other fridges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/19/2014 06:45 PM, nestork wrote:
There are no indications of a leak anywhere. If I saw an oily spot
somewhere on the floor or in the fridge, I'd certainly investigate. So,
it might be a worn out compressor, but in that case it's more economical
to buy a new fridge anyway.

'Stormin Mormon[_10_ Wrote:
;3261612']
That's pretty conclusive low refrigerant. I'm sad to
see a refrig scrapped, "only" because of low charge.

They won't allow me to "top up" the refrigerant charge without finding
and fixing the leak, and that part is gonna cost a few hundred dollars
cuz of the requirement to evacuate the sealed system and find and fix
the leak before adding refrigerant.

Well, now I got lots of spare parts for my other fridges.

Buy a new energy star fridge. It'll pay for itself in a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2014 6:45 PM, nestork wrote:
There are no indications of a leak anywhere. If I saw an oily spot
somewhere on the floor or in the fridge, I'd certainly investigate. So,
it might be a worn out compressor, but in that case it's more economical
to buy a new fridge anyway.

Worn out compressor is big decision time.
After all this consideration, would be nice
to get the amp draw, and see what the
pressures are like. But, I doubt that will
happen.

Would you like a few thoughts on which
brands I like, and which I do not?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin Mormon[_10_] View Post
Would you like a few thoughts on which
brands I like, and which I do not?
No. I'm going to be buying a GE "builder's brand" because I get a discount on them since I'm continuously buying appliances. I can buy a new 12 cu. ft. fridge for about $400. That same fridge will normally sell for about $475.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2014 10:46 PM, nestork wrote:
'Stormin Mormon[_10_ Wrote:
Would you like a few thoughts on which
brands I like, and which I do not?

No. I'm going to be buying a GE "builder's brand" because I get a
discount on them since I'm continuously buying appliances. I can buy a
new 12 cu. ft. fridge for about $400. That same fridge will normally
sell for about $475.

As the big headed creatures in Star Trek said
to Kirk "May your way be as pleasant".

Please write back when it breaks, so I can
have a rare Rush Limbaugh SITYS moment.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin Mormon[_10_] View Post
Please write back when it breaks, so I can
have a rare Rush Limbaugh SITYS moment.
I take it that this is meant to mean that you don't like the new style of GE 12 cubic foot fridges?

I have two of them in my building now, soon to be 3, and so far the only thing I don't like about them is that the defrost timer is located at the back of the fridge near the compressor; an unneccesarily hard location to access.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2014 9:24 AM, nestork wrote:

'Stormin Mormon[_10_ Wrote:
;3261748']
Please write back when it breaks, so I can
have a rare Rush Limbaugh SITYS moment.

I take it that this is meant to mean that you don't like the new style
of GE 12 cubic foot fridges?

I have two of them in my building now, soon to be 3, and so far the only
thing I don't like about them is that the defrost timer is located at
the back of the fridge near the compressor; an unneccesarily hard
location to access.

Please post any more updates, as time goes on.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2014 9:24 AM, nestork wrote:
'Stormin Mormon[_10_ Wrote:
;3261748']
Please write back when it breaks, so I can
have a rare Rush Limbaugh SITYS moment.

I take it that this is meant to mean that you don't like the new style
of GE 12 cubic foot fridges?

I have two of them in my building now, soon to be 3, and so far the only
thing I don't like about them is that the defrost timer is located at
the back of the fridge near the compressor; an unneccesarily hard
location to access.

I'm wondering how people can live with a 12 cu. ft. refrigerator these
days. Few dollars more for an 18 cu. ft.

I guess I'm an energy hog with a 22, 18 and a18 freezer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2014 4:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm wondering how people can live with a 12 cu. ft. refrigerator these
days. Few dollars more for an 18 cu. ft.

I guess I'm an energy hog with a 22, 18 and a18 freezer.

Eek, you must be an American?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pawlowski View Post
I'm wondering how people can live with a 12 cu. ft. refrigerator these
days. Few dollars more for an 18 cu. ft.
No, it's not that tenants don't want or need larger fridges or that landlord's don't want to buy larger fridges. It's the space allowed for a fridge by the kitchen cabinetry that determines how large a fridge I can put in, and generally the only ones that will fit with the existing cabinetry are 12 cubic foot "apartment size" fridges. If I ever replace the kitchen cabinets and cupboards, I would allow more space for a larger fridge in each suite.

There are also "apartment size" stoves. A normal residential stove is 30 inches wide and has two 8 inch diameter surface elements and two 6 inch diameter surface elements. "Apartment size" stoves are 24 inches wide and have one 8 inch diameter surface element and three 6 inch diameter surface elements.