Posted to alt.home.repair
HDA HDA is offline

Default furnace blower motor keeps runing

Where are all these relays and boards I am to tap? I turned off
heat/cooling at thermostat and blower kept running. I then turned off
furance at main and everything blower stopped. AC was not running while
blower on furnace was running. I see reset button inside thermostat,
should I press and see what happens if I turn furnace back on?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2014 2:44 PM, HDA wrote:
Where are all these relays and boards I am to tap? I turned off
heat/cooling at thermostat and blower kept running. I then turned off
furance at main and everything blower stopped. AC was not running while
blower on furnace was running. I see reset button inside thermostat,
should I press and see what happens if I turn furnace back on?

Friend had the same problem the other day. He called his furnace
company. This was 4th of July and while under contract he would have
had to pay extra so he waited a day. Service man came out and
everything was then working fine. Such is life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HDA wrote in news:bf237
:

Where are all these relays and boards I am to tap? I turned off
heat/cooling at thermostat and blower kept running. I then turned off
furance at main and everything blower stopped. AC was not running while
blower on furnace was running. I see reset button inside thermostat,
should I press and see what happens if I turn furnace back on?

Check the simplest thing first: make sure that the thermostat hasn't been switched to the "fan
only" setting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HDA wrote:
Where are all these relays and boards I am to tap? I turned off
heat/cooling at thermostat and blower kept running. I then turned off
furance at main and everything blower stopped. AC was not running while
blower on furnace was running. I see reset button inside thermostat,
should I press and see what happens if I turn furnace back on?

Hi,
Schematic should be on the inside of the furnace access panel.
Start from there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:59:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

HDA wrote in news:bf237
:

Where are all these relays and boards I am to tap? I turned off
heat/cooling at thermostat and blower kept running. I then turned off
furance at main and everything blower stopped. AC was not running while
blower on furnace was running. I see reset button inside thermostat,
should I press and see what happens if I turn furnace back on?

Check the simplest thing first: make sure that the thermostat hasn't been switched to the "fan
only" setting.

Or, like mine, fan on - which runs fan at low speed all the time and
kicks it up a couple notches for heat, and even more for cooling

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 14, 2014 2:59:38 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
HDA wrote in news:bf237

:

Where are all these relays and boards I am to tap? I turned off

heat/cooling at thermostat and blower kept running. I then turned off

furance at main and everything blower stopped. AC was not running while

blower on furnace was running. I see reset button inside thermostat,

should I press and see what happens if I turn furnace back on?

Check the simplest thing first: make sure that the thermostat hasn't been switched to the "fan

only" setting.

And next, I'd disconnect the fan wire at the furnace. Fan wire is
usually green. If the fan stops, then it's most likely a bad thermostat
or a short in the wiring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 21:32:18 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:59:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

HDA wrote in news:bf237
m:

Where are all these relays and boards I am to tap? I turned off
heat/cooling at thermostat and blower kept running. I then turned off
furance at main and everything blower stopped. AC was not running while
blower on furnace was running. I see reset button inside thermostat,
should I press and see what happens if I turn furnace back on?

Check the simplest thing first: make sure that the thermostat hasn't been switched to the "fan
only" setting.

Or, like mine, fan on - which runs fan at low speed all the time and
kicks it up a couple notches for heat, and even more for cooling

If there's more than one wire to the fan, not counting the ground, maybe
you could disocnnect the one that makes the fan run all the time. That
is, assuming you want it to stop.

I once had a room AC right next to my bed, and all the connections were
clips on tabs. Just by moving three of them around I could make the
fan, which was on all the time, only go on when the compressor was on.

I've sort of given up plans to buy** a "portable" AC, but I think their
fans are on all the time too, and after thinking about it for a while,
I'm sure they don't have clips but I could cut and solder those same
three wires. **No buying because a friend has one somewhere that he' s
not using. And because the summer is half over and I haven't needed it
yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 23:50:13 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 21:32:18 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:59:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

HDA wrote in news:bf237
om:

[...]

Well, both of the "portable" ac units I had, the fan could be switched
to run constant or only when cooling
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:59:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

HDA wrote in news:bf237
. com:

[...]

That's very good to know. Thanks. That would save an hour at least
and of course, it's a problem modifying something that's still under
warranty. OTOH, my friend's is no longer under warranty.

In a lawsuit, the court might well hold that if I didn't touch whatever
broke, I'm still covered, but before it gets to a lawsuit, the company
would probably say, Warranty Void. And then they woudl say that the
extra load of the fan on the relay that turns on the compressor was
indeed the cause of the failure, even if the problem is that it leaks,
or that the compressor runs but does not cool.