Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The British sure do talk funnily (gobsmacked barmy)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ans-climb.html
"Alan Hinkes, the only Briton to have climbed all 14 mountains higher
than 26,246ft (8,000m) and who reached the top of K2 a few weeks before
Alison's death, said: 'I was gobsmacked when I heard. You can never say
something's impossible in mountaineering - good luck to him. But this is
barmy."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Solon Levin wrote:

But this is barmy."

I usually check http://www.theregister.co.uk every morning. It's primarily a
techie site but I sometimes have to click on the headlines to figure out
what the hell they're talking about. Combine techspeak with Brit and you
really have something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Solon Levin:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ans-climb.html
"Alan Hinkes, the only Briton to have climbed all 14 mountains higher
than 26,246ft (8,000m) and who reached the top of K2 a few weeks before
Alison's death, said: 'I was gobsmacked when I heard. You can never say
something's impossible in mountaineering - good luck to him. But this is
barmy."

"The USA and Britain: two great countries separated by a common
language."

My personal favorite BritSpeak phrase is "Barking Mad".
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 6, 2014 7:06:10 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My personal favorite BritSpeak phrase is "Barking Mad".

Pete Cresswell

I am NOT fond of "spot on"...which some American's have adopted! *L*
Have you notice when we catch on to a pronunciation, that the Brit's will change it back to the way we used to say it? ex. kilometer!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 20:31:42 +0000, Solon Levin wrote:

'I was gobsmacked when I heard. You can never say
something's impossible in mountaineering - good luck to him. But this is
barmy."

Apparently, just as in dumbstuck, gob is mouth and smacked is hit.
It means you can't talk because it hit your mouth.

Barmy is from the crazy froth of beer fermentation, so it means crazy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2014 8:06 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
"The USA and Britain: two great countries separated by a common
language."

My personal favorite BritSpeak phrase is "Barking Mad".

"I said yes of course, I'm through and the silly
girl disconnected me!"

--
..
Christopher A. Young