Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Hollow core" wooden door

What does "hollow core" mean? Have been getting different answers.

Last input from local hardware store says it doesn't mean there's nothing in there; it means door is filled with ?? something. What?

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's hollow. Typically it may have cardboard strips on
edge, glued inside, to provide slight siffening. But basically,
hollow means hollow.
Usually it will be plywood or pressboard 1/4" panels.
A hollow core door is only for light use, interior.

Then there's solid core, which usually mean filled with
coarse particle board. It's heavier than hollow core and
might block noise slightly better, but it's still no good
for exterior use and generally pointless.

Then there are solid wood doors, which could be panel
doors or staved wood. (Glued up pieces to make a solid
slab.) In recent years, panel doors have been coming
through cheaply made, with veneer over glued-up pieces.
A panel door meant for interior (1 3/8") used to also be
usable for exterior use where a 1 3/8" door is needed, but
that's no longer the case. They delaminate with moisture
exposure.

That's the selection for wood doors.

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

| What does "hollow core" mean? Have been getting different answers.
|
| Last input from local hardware store says it doesn't mean there's nothing
in there; it means door is filled with ?? something. What?

| TIA
|
| HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote in
:

What does "hollow core" mean? Have been getting different answers.

Last input from local hardware store says it doesn't mean there's
nothing in there; it means door is filled with ?? something. What?

TIA

HB

The perimeter is wood strips. There are struts within the field usually
corregated cardboard. The door knob area has some type of blocking.

Googling "hollow core door" and clicking on "Images" would get you plenty
of info immediately such as:

http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/flush-doors.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

What does "hollow core" mean? Have been getting different answers.

Last input from local hardware store says it doesn't mean there's nothing in there; it means door is filled with ?? something. What?

TIA

HB

Hi,
Except frame of the door so it cn be hung and lock installed, between
two thin wood panels there is nothing. If you punch it hard enough
prolly you can make a hole thru. They;re used for interior where fire
risk is not a concern unlike garage access door
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:07:16 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

It's hollow. Typically it may have cardboard strips on
edge, glued inside, to provide slight siffening. But basically,
hollow means hollow.
Usually it will be plywood or pressboard 1/4" panels.
A hollow core door is only for light use, interior.

More likely 1/8"
Then there's solid core, which usually mean filled with
coarse particle board. It's heavier than hollow core and
might block noise slightly better, but it's still no good
for exterior use and generally pointless.

Then there are solid wood doors, which could be panel
doors or staved wood. (Glued up pieces to make a solid
slab.) In recent years, panel doors have been coming
through cheaply made, with veneer over glued-up pieces.
A panel door meant for interior (1 3/8") used to also be
usable for exterior use where a 1 3/8" door is needed, but
that's no longer the case. They delaminate with moisture
exposure.

That's the selection for wood doors.

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

| What does "hollow core" mean? Have been getting different answers.
|
| Last input from local hardware store says it doesn't mean there's nothing
in there; it means door is filled with ?? something. What?

| TIA
|
| HB

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson[_2_] View Post
What does "hollow core" mean? Have been getting different answers.

Last input from local hardware store says it doesn't mean there's nothing in there; it means door is filled with ?? something. What?

TIA

HB
Hollow core doors are essentially hollow. They have solid wood only where needed, such as where the lockset goes and around the perimeter of the door.

The middle of the door is only filled with corrugated cardboard glued to the front and back panels of the door to hold those panels in place so that they have some degree of rigidity to them. This essentially makes it impossible to refinish a hollow core door. That's because as soon as you start sanding it, the areas of the door over the cardboard are going to get sanded down more than the areas between the cardboard that will bend away from your sanding block. The result will be a ghost pattern of the cardboard inside the door when it comes time to staining the door. So, if you're ever in a position where you need to refinish a hollow core door, paint it instead of staining it.

Hollow core doors are only used for interior doors because they offer no security. Someone could literally punch a hole through the door to unlock it from the inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

What does "hollow core" mean? Have been getting different answers.

Last input from local hardware store says it doesn't mean there's
nothing in there; it means door is filled with ?? something. What?

TIA

HB

Hi,
Except frame of the door so it cn be hung and lock installed, between
two thin wood panels there is nothing. If you punch it hard enough prolly
you can make a hole thru. They;re used for interior where fire risk is
not a concern unlike garage access door

Also used when noise transfer is not a concern. Those plastic doors at the
home depot offer little noise attenuation. I noticed that at my vet where
the same type are used. I can hear everything.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

I DID go on-line and research doors! I always do that before taking people's time. A pic I posted recently showed some crumbling yecch coming out of the (rotted by garden water) bottom. To me that would look like "composite". IOW it would fulfill the meaning of "solid core" per this site RedGreen recommended:

Graphical Construction Glossary Doors. Door Types Flush Doors

Flush Doors
Doors with smooth surfaces.

Solid Core Doors
Wooden flush doors that have a solid wood OR COMPOSITE CORE (emphasis added).

Hollow Core Doors
Wooden flush doors that are lightweight with a perimeter frame an a lightweight hollow core.

Door Blanks
Large solid core door sections that do not have finish edge strips. They are used for making up non-standard doors.

Doorskin
The surface layer of a flush door. It may be paint finish plywood, Masonite, hardwood veneer for clear finishing or any one of a number of plastics and PVC..

Mine is an outside door created umpty years ago by a reputable contractor. (He's probably in contractor heaven by now.) I have never had the smallest problem with anything else he did in the Big Kitchen Remodel, so I believe he put in the right kind of door, going by the above definition of "solid core".

I'm not trying to split hairs; just want the right vocabulary to shop for the effing door!

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Higgs Boson wrote in
:

What does "hollow core" mean? Have been getting different answers.

Last input from local hardware store says it doesn't mean there's
nothing in there; it means door is filled with ?? something. What?

TIA

HB

The perimeter is wood strips. There are struts within the field usually
corregated cardboard. The door knob area has some type of blocking.

Googling "hollow core door" and clicking on "Images" would get you plenty
of info immediately such as:

http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/flush-doors.html

+1 Higgs learn to use Goggle

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 4, 2014 12:33:45 PM UTC-7, Tekkie® wrote:
Red Green posted for all of us...

Giant assumption

And I know how to SNIP

So shut up about it already!

Higgs Boson wrote in

:

What does "hollow core" mean? Have been getting different answers.

Last input from local hardware store says it doesn't mean there's

nothing in there; it means door is filled with ?? something. What?

The perimeter is wood strips. There are struts within the field usually

corregated cardboard. The door knob area has some type of blocking.

Googling "hollow core door" and clicking on "Images" would get you plenty

of info immediately such as:

http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/flush-doors.html

+1 Higgs learn to use Goggle

AKA "Google". And I do know how, if not to Your Majesty's satisfaction.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Friday, July 4, 2014 12:33:45 PM UTC-7, Tekkie® wrote:
Red Green posted for all of us...

Giant assumption

And I know how to SNIP

So shut up about it already!

So learn to snip already. It's not the same as being snippy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 4, 2014 1:25:36 PM UTC-7, None wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

On Friday, July 4, 2014 12:33:45 PM UTC-7, Tekkie� wrote:

Red Green posted for all of us...

Giant assumption

And I know how to SNIP

So shut up about it already!

So learn to snip already. It's not the same as being snippy.

Which you're the master of. Over & OUT

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Snip multiple blank lines that Higgy Baby is too stupid to snip,
And even more multiple blank lines that Higgy Baby is added to
every post, out of stupidity
So learn to snip already. It's not the same as being snippy.

Which you're the master of. Over & OUT

You're really getting snippy. But you're too stupid to post in a
coherent format. Usenet illiteracy, it's for morons like you!