Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

pj

Default Hollow-core door question

Can I cut through hollow-core closet doors (sliders) with a utility knife? I
would like to put pulls in them, and I don't really have a way to cut the
holes any other way.
-- pj
Charles Spitzer

"pj" wrote in message
Can I cut through hollow-core closet doors (sliders) with a utility knife?
would like to put pulls in them, and I don't really have a way to cut the
holes any other way.
-- pj

maybe. a lot of closet hollow core doors seem to be made of something akin
to thick cardboard.

DAC

Can I cut through hollow-core closet doors (sliders) with a utility
knife? I
would like to put pulls in them, and I don't really have a way to cut

the
holes any other way.

Sure can, take a look at the side profile of the door, most likely it
will be a solid center sandwiched between thin ply or MDF, even if it
has a wood veneer. It will give you an idea of how thick the exterior
is. I recently added a window in a pocket door and cut the hole with a
new bladed utility knife...worked well. I was cutting a rectangle,
circles beg for a hole saw of the appropriate diameter.

Good luck,

Darwin

FC

pj wrote:
Can I cut through hollow-core closet doors (sliders) with a utility knife? I
would like to put pulls in them, and I don't really have a way to cut the
holes any other way.
-- pj

Use a wood screw (or lag screw) that's thick enough to "drill" your
hole. Utility knife probably won't give you a good finished look after
you're done.

FC