DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hollow-core door question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/104363-hollow-core-door-question.html)

pj April 26th 05 06:56 PM

Hollow-core door question

Can I cut through hollow-core closet doors (sliders) with a utility knife? I
would like to put pulls in them, and I don't really have a way to cut the
holes any other way.
-- pj

Charles Spitzer April 26th 05 07:01 PM

"pj" wrote in message
Can I cut through hollow-core closet doors (sliders) with a utility knife?
would like to put pulls in them, and I don't really have a way to cut the
holes any other way.
-- pj

maybe. a lot of closet hollow core doors seem to be made of something akin
to thick cardboard.

DAC April 26th 05 08:38 PM

Can I cut through hollow-core closet doors (sliders) with a utility
knife? I
would like to put pulls in them, and I don't really have a way to cut

the
holes any other way.

Sure can, take a look at the side profile of the door, most likely it
will be a solid center sandwiched between thin ply or MDF, even if it
has a wood veneer. It will give you an idea of how thick the exterior
is. I recently added a window in a pocket door and cut the hole with a
new bladed utility knife...worked well. I was cutting a rectangle,
circles beg for a hole saw of the appropriate diameter.

Good luck,

Darwin

Bert Hyman April 26th 05 09:41 PM

(pj) wrote in
:

Can I cut through hollow-core closet doors (sliders) with a utility
knife? I would like to put pulls in them, and I don't really have
a way to cut the holes any other way.

I don't know specifically about panels used for sliding (bypass)
doors, but conventional hollow-core interior doors will still have
reinforced solid sections in the places where doorknobs and latches
are meant to be installed.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

FC April 28th 05 03:24 PM

pj wrote:
Can I cut through hollow-core closet doors (sliders) with a utility knife? I
would like to put pulls in them, and I don't really have a way to cut the
holes any other way.
-- pj

Use a wood screw (or lag screw) that's thick enough to "drill" your
hole. Utility knife probably won't give you a good finished look after
you're done.

FC