Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default "Hollow core" wooden door

Tony Hwang wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

What does "hollow core" mean? Have been getting different answers.

Last input from local hardware store says it doesn't mean there's
nothing in there; it means door is filled with ?? something. What?

TIA

HB

Hi,
Except frame of the door so it cn be hung and lock installed, between
two thin wood panels there is nothing. If you punch it hard enough prolly
you can make a hole thru. They;re used for interior where fire risk is
not a concern unlike garage access door

Also used when noise transfer is not a concern. Those plastic doors at the
home depot offer little noise attenuation. I noticed that at my vet where
the same type are used. I can hear everything.

Greg