Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Too good to be true

I need to replace my busted electric lawn mower.

A guy on Craig's list is selling one, Black & Decker, with bag, that he
says he used only one summer, 19", paid 300 for, and wants 50 for.

Too good to be true? Stolen? How do I tell if it is stolen?

No box, no instructions, but a lot of people throw away the box and lose
the instructions. How important are the instructions as an indicator?

He wants cash only. But that's just prudent, right?

Does B&D sell a walk-behind AC-powered mower for that much, 300?

Unless he's moving soon, why would he sell so cheap? Even if he's
moving, the other ones for sale, no one even emailed me back, which I
presume means they sold theirs already. All for more or a lot more
than $50
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I need to replace my busted electric lawn mower.

A guy on Craig's list is selling one, Black & Decker, with bag, that he
says he used only one summer, 19", paid 300 for, and wants 50 for.

Too good to be true? Stolen? How do I tell if it is stolen?

No box, no instructions, but a lot of people throw away the box and lose
the instructions. How important are the instructions as an indicator?

He wants cash only. But that's just prudent, right?

Does B&D sell a walk-behind AC-powered mower for that much, 300?

Unless he's moving soon, why would he sell so cheap? Even if he's
moving, the other ones for sale, no one even emailed me back, which I
presume means they sold theirs already. All for more or a lot more
than $50

B&D is totally useless if you need help or parts. Owners manual are
available on line in a digital file. Everything metal begins to rust as
soon as you start to use it.

We have the self propelled battery version. The lowest speed is too fast
for the average user. Unit has a high rating but I'm not at all impressed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/12/2014 08:16 PM, wrote:
I need to replace my busted electric lawn mower.

A guy on Craig's list is selling one, Black & Decker, with bag, that he
says he used only one summer, 19", paid 300 for, and wants 50 for.

Too good to be true? Stolen? How do I tell if it is stolen?

No box, no instructions, but a lot of people throw away the box and lose
the instructions. How important are the instructions as an indicator?

He wants cash only. But that's just prudent, right?

Does B&D sell a walk-behind AC-powered mower for that much, 300?

Unless he's moving soon, why would he sell so cheap? Even if he's
moving, the other ones for sale, no one even emailed me back, which I
presume means they sold theirs already. All for more or a lot more
than $50

He may have gotten it for free through an air pollution trade-in program. This is something you might want to check out yourself first.

I probably told this story before.... I bought a used electric mower in the mid-90's that the owner said wouldn't hold a charge. Turned out the onboard charger board was corroded and bad. The "24V" mower turned out to be two 12V batteries in series, so I disconnected the battery ground wire and charged them up one at a time with my 12V car battery charger.

The original batteries ran for another year. In the 15+ years since then I have replaced them twice at around $50 per pair and never looked back since.

Clean, quiet, no oiling, spark plug etc., no syphoning gas out of the car or exhaust.

The latest batteries are 3 years old and I can mow a 5000 sf yard 4 times on a charge before the power starts to drop off. Only drawback is that it's a push-type, but this yard is flat and I can use the excercise. And it's a LOT lighter with no gasoline engine on it.

Myself, I would not get a 110VAC corded mower because this one works just fine, and no cord to deal with.

The only other thing I have been meaning to do is to install a charging switch so that I don't have to open the cover and charge each one separately.

Charging each battery one at a time....
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...in/CIRCUIT.gif

Charging both at the same time with a switch....
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...n/CIRCUIT3.gif

If you notice anything wrong with the wiring diagrams, please raise your hand!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message ...
On 06/12/2014 08:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

Revised drawing slightly.... New link...
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...n/CIRCUIT5.gif

If you notice anything wrong with the wiring diagrams, please raise your hand!

Revised drawing with switch slightly.... New link...
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...n/CIRCUIT5.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/14/2014 08:14 AM, Red Green wrote:

Heck I got one free on Craig's List...
it had a dead battery but that was no big deal to me because I worked
for a battery company.

Did you steal the battery? :-)

No, it was not a new one it was old stock.

They had a policy of not keeping old inventory. Though a battery would
not have gone in the dumpster, they did not care what happened to parts
no longer in inventory. They threw stuff out faster than me and my
co-workers could scarf it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Maybe
it's really a lonely housewife who will hold you captive and keep you as
her sex slave.

Jon

Damn, missed another great opportunity.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote in news:lnfa05$8et$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Maybe
it's really a lonely housewife who will hold you captive and keep you as
her sex slave.

Wonder how many ton she weighs in at...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 00:20:31 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Maybe
it's really a lonely housewife who will hold you captive and keep you as
her sex slave.

Wonder how many ton she weighs in at...

How many tons would it take to hold you back?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

Maybe
it's really a lonely housewife who will hold you captive and keep
you as her sex slave.

Wonder how many ton she weighs in at...

How many tons would it take to hold you back?

Hmmmm....tapping finger?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 23:28:18 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

Maybe
it's really a lonely housewife who will hold you captive and keep
you as her sex slave.

Wonder how many ton she weighs in at...

How many tons would it take to hold you back?

Hmmmm....tapping finger?

.... time is up.