Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windows: removing IE - moving to Firefox

This was in another thread about XP.

I removed IE. Backwards for each version. Ended up at v.8

Put FF 29.1 on and secured it. Set up No-script, a some other things.

Went back and found out that Windows IE removal removed several Hot
fixes So, I went forward and put IE back on (not used). There were
some problems with update trying to install the fixes. At one point,
Windows Update reported there were no updates installed. I chased it
down and got it all fixed (with a beverage or two).

Point: just remove IE Icons and leave it alone. Secure your browser
experience using Firefox.

The suggestion of removing IE may work best for IT pros on a network.
However I do not recommend it for a typical user. I'm back to where I
was. No missing critical fixes, etc. FF works on IE related sites with
the IE Tab v.2 add on.

So. Use Firefox (or choice) but leave IE on your system. I don't know
how this works in Europe where you choose your own browser at install.

Update is back and all things work.

2 cents....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I keep IE up-to-date but I never use it. FF does not have all needed
add-ons. then I use IE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 May 2014 14:13:14 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

I keep IE up-to-date but I never use it. FF does not have all needed
add-ons. then I use IE.

Good. Don't remove it. I deleted the Icon in the Start menu. FF has
an add-on (Todd mentioned it) IE Tab V2 (Enhanced IE Tab) 5.12.12.1

Right click on a link in FF for IE views.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Point: just remove IE Icons and leave it alone. Secure your browser
| experience using Firefox.
|
| The suggestion of removing IE may work best for IT pros on a network.
| However I do not recommend it for a typical user. I'm back to where I
| was. No missing critical fixes, etc. FF works on IE related sites with
| the IE Tab v.2 add on.

I think you must be talking about reversing updates.
You had IE9 or 10 and went back to IE8? You can't
really uninstall IE. An IE browser window is used to
display CHM help files. A browser window might be used
in some software. I think the Desktop itself used to
actually be an IE browser window. It may still be. Some
software also uses IE functions for Internet operations.
There are two central libraries,
wininet.dll and urlmon.dll, which provide functions software
can call. Those libraries are part of an IE install. Many
programmers think the IE functions *are* Windows Internet
functionality, because they're easy to use and usage is
widespread. (You could actually be using a program that
downloads files and ends up saving copies in your IE
history. Not only could you be unaware. The author of the
software might also be unaware! They think they're using
the Windows API [core functionality for programmers] when
they're actually using IE.)

All of that is to say that it's really not feasible to actually
remove IE. Many things would break. For that reason I never
update IE at all, except on test machines where I want to
test webpages with a newer version of IE. There are just too
many problems that can happen because the whole thing is
so poorly designed. (Poorly design for stability. But actually
it was a very deliberate move. Microsoft originally intertwined
IE with Windows in order to push Netscape out of the picture
and make IE the default browser for everyone, which they
pretty much succeeded in doing for many years.)

If IE is not your default browser then there's no reason it
ever needs to be in the way. I actually do use IE as my default.
(IE6) But I never use it online. It's blocked by my firewall, and
I'm very careful about what I open using IE. But since IE is
really running all the time, anyway, it's very quick for opening
HTML files that are on my machine. Sometimes I'll save things
like articles from online, strip out the script, then save it in the
original HTML form for easy reading. It's convenient to read those
in IE, since FF is such a pig to get started.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 May 2014 09:42:01 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Point: just remove IE Icons and leave it alone. Secure your browser
| experience using Firefox.
|
| The suggestion of removing IE may work best for IT pros on a network.
| However I do not recommend it for a typical user. I'm back to where I
| was. No missing critical fixes, etc. FF works on IE related sites with
| the IE Tab v.2 add on.

I think you must be talking about reversing updates.
You had IE9 or 10 and went back to IE8? You can't
really uninstall IE. An IE browser window is used to
display CHM help files. A browser window might be used
in some software. I think the Desktop itself used to
actually be an IE browser window. It may still be. Some
software also uses IE functions for Internet operations.
There are two central libraries,
wininet.dll and urlmon.dll, which provide functions software
can call. Those libraries are part of an IE install. Many
programmers think the IE functions *are* Windows Internet
functionality, because they're easy to use and usage is
widespread. (You could actually be using a program that
downloads files and ends up saving copies in your IE
history. Not only could you be unaware. The author of the
software might also be unaware! They think they're using
the Windows API [core functionality for programmers] when
they're actually using IE.)

All of that is to say that it's really not feasible to actually
remove IE. Many things would break. For that reason I never
update IE at all, except on test machines where I want to
test webpages with a newer version of IE. There are just too
many problems that can happen because the whole thing is
so poorly designed. (Poorly design for stability. But actually
it was a very deliberate move. Microsoft originally intertwined
IE with Windows in order to push Netscape out of the picture
and make IE the default browser for everyone, which they
pretty much succeeded in doing for many years.)

If IE is not your default browser then there's no reason it
ever needs to be in the way. I actually do use IE as my default.
(IE6) But I never use it online. It's blocked by my firewall, and
I'm very careful about what I open using IE. But since IE is
really running all the time, anyway, it's very quick for opening
HTML files that are on my machine. Sometimes I'll save things
like articles from online, strip out the script, then save it in the
original HTML form for easy reading. It's convenient to read those
in IE, since FF is such a pig to get started.

And Netscape became - Firefox

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think you must be talking about reversing updates.
You had IE9 or 10 and went back to IE8? You can't
really uninstall IE.

What I'm guessing is there is some component of IE8 in Win7.
I removed IE 11, IE10 and I think the uninstall skipped IE 9.

Windows update showed a critical update was needed for IE8.

This whole experiment was a mess. I learned a few things, though.

Went to burn some CDs and was having problems with Media player and
Windows Explorer. Tried some fixes, but decided to do a restore from a
earlier restore point. That got me back on track. IE11 is back on,
all updates installed. Media Player is working again as is Windows
Explorer. Had to do same tweaks in Firerfox. Things normal again.

P.S. Restore points seem be deleted over time or only so many are
kept. My advice would be to manually create one regularly. I use the
date as a part of the file name.

https://tinyurl.com/44vnzht

http://preview.tinyurl.com/44vnzht

OT - moving windows XP to another drive Jules Richardson UK diy 16 January 25th 12 05:45 PM
allignment is not equal in firefox 1.5 & firefox 2.0.0.4 Mehul Home Repair 3 July 18th 07 04:48 PM
Moving Windows Mark Longo Home Repair 5 April 14th 06 06:46 PM
Moving hot water cylinder, maybe into loft, maybe removing chimney [email protected] UK diy 16 December 1st 05 09:12 AM
Moving/removing snow Lesley Home Repair 21 November 23rd 05 03:11 AM