Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving hot water cylinder, maybe into loft, maybe removing chimney

Advice sought, and opinions - especially good/bad experiences from
doing something similar. Contemplating moving/replacing HWC and
possibly chimney/bricked up fireplace...

1950s 3-bed semi.

Back bedroom has hideous fitted wardrobe (straight across one wall).
Inside wardrobe is hot water cylinder, placed against side of
chimney/bricked up fire place, thus...

|------------| |--------|
| pipes .-. | Chimney | |
| (HWC) ------------ |
| `-` |
|. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

". . ." marks front of hideous fitted wardrobe, which has to go! Left
hand wall is external. Rear wall is next door. Right hand wall is
middle of house (supporting). HMC is just copper - no insulation, even
though it was installed 2.5 years ago (just before we moved in, after
we'd agreed to buy, so probably very cheap job).

Can't afford, and don't want, to replace wardrobe with something
similar but nice, so:

1. what should I do with the hot water cylinder, and
2. what, if anything, should I do with the chimney / bricked up fire
place?

(Whatever the choice is, there is some work to do because the ceiling
is only artexed (yuk, but necessary unless its re-plastered completely)
up to the front of the wardrobe, while "within" the wardrobe the walls
are gloss paint on half ripped off wallpaper on bad plaster, badly
smashed off skirting board etc).

I could "just" box in the HWC where it is, put a door on the front,
shelves to the side in front of the pipes, and box over the pipe which
(annoyingly) travels 10cm above floor boards from the left of the
cylinder level with the front of it!

Or I could move the HWC to the left (adjacent to outside wall), putting
all the pipes within a new cupboard, leaving little free space between
the new airing cupboard and the chimney for some shelves. Lots of
plumbing (in winter) but doesn't seem to gain me that much.

Or I could move the HWC into the loft, have no airing cupboard but a
little more space in the back bedroom. Lots more work.

If the HWC does go in the loft, do I "just" raise the existing cold
talk and put the existing HWC below it (loft plenty tall enough - very
cold though - probably box it all in with lots of insulation), or do
I replace the current HWC with something more modern? Even (gasp) a
different system. Cost is putting me off, plus the fact that we know a
standard vented HWC works well for us, even though the heating system
is 20+ years old.

Then there's the chimney/fireplace. It would be nice to have a square
room. The gas fire in the room below has been disconnected because we
don't use it and the room now has door across so no suitable vent to
that part. However, removing chimney in the back bedroom (not in room
below, because don't want to redecorate there) sounds like a big messy
job - is it worth it?

Any advice, experience, opinions welcome. Have ripped out most of the
hideous fitted wardrobe hoping for inspiration, but none forthcoming!

Cheers,
David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

David, consider:

a) A new high flow combi such as an Alpha CD50.
b) A combination tank (Fortic) which has the hot cylinder and cold tank all
in one and put in the loft. The combi can also go in the loft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
David, consider:

a) A new high flow combi such as an Alpha CD50.

How predictable. From one where cost isn't a consideration.

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
David, consider:

a) A new high flow combi such as an Alpha CD50.

How

** snip senility **

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
David, consider:

a) A new high flow combi such as an Alpha CD50.

How predictable. From one where cost isn't a consideration.

Cost is certainly a consideration here! I'm thinking of moving the
existing cylinder into the loft.

However, apart from the existing cylinder being of unknown quality and
uninsulated (though it would be easy enough to add bags of insulation
and a makeshift box for it in the loft), it make be more work to move
it. Buying a new cylinder, putting it in the loft, getting all the pipe
work in place, and _then_ just joining a few pipes on "D-day" sounds
easier (and less likely to leave us without heating for days if it all
goes wrong) than having to move the existing cylinder. I've only got to
drop it or split it on that day, and we're stuffed. Without heating. In
December!

The loft hatch is 63cm square, though to use all of that the built in
step ladder would have to be removed (easy). Unfortunately, the roof
line and supports would prevent me just lifting anything like a 60cm
cylinder straight up, so I'll have to try with a cardbox box to see
what will fit at an angle. Or use measurements and geometry.

How would I "distribute" the load. I've read that people try to
distribute the load over as many rafters as possible, but our ceiling
are (were) terrible, suggesting the rafters have little strength, so
I'd rather try and put all the load onto/over the supporting wall. Is
this practical?

Cheers,
David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Conway wrote:
wrote:
However, apart from the existing cylinder being of unknown quality and
uninsulated (though it would be easy enough to add bags of insulation
and a makeshift box for it in the loft), it make be more work to move
it. Buying a new cylinder, putting it in the loft, getting all the pipe
work in place, and _then_ just joining a few pipes on "D-day" sounds
easier (and less likely to leave us without heating for days if it all
goes wrong) than having to move the existing cylinder. I've only got to
drop it or split it on that day, and we're stuffed. Without heating. In
December!

Not a bad plan - you could get the immersion up and running and do the
hot water changeover in advance, meaning you just have to change the
heating plumbing over on "D-day".

My Wife suggested I should ask a plumber how much he would charge to do
the job, since it might be cheaper than the time I would spend doing it
myself (she's an optimist!).

He said simply that he wouldn't recommend it (though when pressed, is
coming to look at the job more closely). He suggested a combi (until I
said we had two bathrooms), or an unvented system with the tank
elsewhere entirely (garage?). He also said there'd been a case where a
faulty immersion heater on a HWC in a loft had melted the cold storage
tank, which burst and killed the people in the bedroom below.

So now a plumber has said "putting everything in the loft is a BAD
IDEA" my wife is dead against it.

A new system isn't totally out of the question - the current boiler is
working but 25 years old. However, we'd intended to keep it until it
died, and I hoped to keep a "standard" indirect gravity fed system (but
in the loft) because it's a known quantity and can be DIYed if
necessary.

btw, I've searched, but not found a good unvented vs heat store thread.

Any advice?

Cheers,
David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...
Richard Conway wrote:
wrote:
[...]

This "plumber" is an idiot. Avoid him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 30 Nov 2005 04:04:03 -0800, wrote:

Richard Conway wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Half truth. Only one was killed. What actually happened was not a
faulty tank, but a faulty immersion heater in an entirely standard
cylinder and tank arrangement. The water boiled and was delivered up
into the roof tank which then eventually distorted/broke over the
people in the bedroom below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3035606.stm

So while the story is true, it is completely irrelevant to what you
would like to do.

You can draw your own conclusions regarding the credibility of the
plumber.

So now a plumber has said "putting everything in the loft is a BAD
IDEA" my wife is dead against it.

A new system isn't totally out of the question - the current boiler is
working but 25 years old. However, we'd intended to keep it until it
died, and I hoped to keep a "standard" indirect gravity fed system (but
in the loft) because it's a known quantity and can be DIYed if
necessary.

btw, I've searched, but not found a good unvented vs heat store thread.

You could do either. A thermal store can be DIYed and the whole
thing could go in the loft. These have a heat exchanger through which
the cold mains water runs to be heated. The cylinder, which acts as
the store, has an integrated header tank and the water in that is not
under pressure. When you use HW, there is a pump which circulates
water from the store through the heat exchanger. The water in the
cylinder can either be heated directly by the boiler and effectively
be associated with the primary circuit with the CH if it is all open
vented, or you can have a coil in the cylinder and make that
associated with the CH circuit and have that sealed - i.e. you then
have three sets of water - the boiler/CH/cylinder coil; the cylinder
store water and finally the mains water being heated.

These arrangements get around the professional installation
restrictions imposed by the Buillding Regulations, because there is
not a large volume of water under pressure.

An unvented cylinder does have to be installed professionally
according to the Buillding Regulations.

With any mains fed system, do check the water pressure and flow at teh
kitchen sink. If you are getting less than about 20 litres/min, a
mains system is going to be disappointing in comparison to a tank
based one.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Advantages of Heat-Banks (form of thermal store)

- Instant high pressure hot water - When the store has reached temperature
water is delivered instantly at the taps.

- High mains water pressures - at up to 10 bar, compared to 3.5 bar with
unvented cylinders.

- Very high water flow-rate - The high-end heat-banks have a flow-rate up to
45 litres/min.

- Long efficient boiler burn - Reduces boiler on-off cycling increasing
efficiency, although inefficient boiler cycling is no longer a major problem
with boilers with forced flues.

- Maintains optimum boiler temperature range - using a blending valve the
flow/return of the boiler can be kept to opimum mainatinaing greater
effciencies. The boiler operates at optimum performance.

- May combine the output of the stored water and the boiler

- Cylinder may be smaller for a similar performance - smaller cylinders than
unvented cylinders.

- Cylinder at low pressure - Unlike an unvented cylinder it does not store
water at high pressures.

- Fast cylinder recovery rate - When the boiler is connected directly to the
heat-bank, and not via an indirect coil, the recovery rate is rapid.
Although in some cases a boiler may heat the heat-bank via an indirect coil,
reducing the recovery rate.

- Legionella bacteria virtually eliminated - The Legionella bacteria cannot
survive in the high temperature sealed conditions of a heat-bank.

- No scale build-up in heat-bank - Containing primary and not secondary
fresh water, there is no scale build-up inside the heat-bank.

- Cold water storage eliminated - No need for cold water storage tanks.

- Solar heating storage - Water heated via solar panels may be stored in the
heat-bank via a solar coil.

- Easy maintenance - If an external plate heat exchanger requires cleaning
or replacing it is a matter of draining down the heat-bank, or closing
isolating vales, and unscrewing the plate heat-exchanger. In some rare
instances plate heat-exchangers are fitted directly inside the heat-bank
preventing on-site maintenance.

- Easy to improve hot water flowrates - By simply adding additional plate
heat-exchangers in parallel, hot water flow rates may be improved. Retrofit
additions are possible if extra bathrooms or showers are installed. This is
impossible with unvented cylinders.

- Stored water vessel need not be cylindrical - As no internal coil is used
for hot water heat transfer the stored water vessel may be any shape, as
opposed to a thermal store which has to be cylindrical for maximum
efficiency. This has advantages where space is limited.

Disadvantages of Heat-Banks

- The store needs be near fully temperature to supply baths - Before any hot
water is drawn off, the store must be up to temperature. Many later versions
use a blending valve on the return to the boiler to ensure only up to
temperature water is pumped into the store by the boiler. This prevents
agitation of the stored water, and aiding heat stratification within the
store giving useful water at the top of the store within a short time. The
water is heated only in one pass through the boiler.

- May not take full advantage of a condensing boiler - Maintaining the
stored water at 75C to 80C results in a generally high boiler return
temperature. This will not take full advantage of a condensing boiler,
which increases in efficiency with lower return temperatures. With the
superior heat stratification of taller cylinders this problem will be
reduced. Condensing boilers with a wide operational flow and return
temperature differential are best suited to thermal stores and heat banks.
Overall efficiency with condensing boilers is still very, very good.

- Lower water temperatures with fast flow-rates - As with Combi boilers,
fast flow-rates through the plate heat-exchanger results in lower water
temperatures. This is not so pronounced with heat-banks as with
thermal-stores. This also applies to combi's. With a heat bank, larger or
extra plate heat exchangers can be fitted to increase flow rates. Sized up
properly this is not an issue in operation.

- Needs more inhibior - A minor added cost.

Advantages mainly to heat banks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
[snip]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3035606.stm

So while the story is true, it is completely irrelevant to what you
would like to do.

You can draw your own conclusions regarding the credibility of the
plumber.

Oh pants. We're on our second plumber already. Our previous "plumber"
charged a small fortune for small jobs, but (amazingly! ;-) ) was
always available at short notice for emergencies! After £250 for a new
rad which he hung at an angle, we said never again.

This new plumber came recommended, doesn't even have to advertise
locally, and is always very busy - about 1/3rd the cost of the previous
one too, so I was quite pleased to find him. Until now! Maybe he
doesn't fancy lifting a tank into the loft. Or maybe he was backing up
his story that it'll be difficult to support the cold tank properly in
the loft, and giving this disaster as the worst thing that can happen.
Anyway, thanks for the link to the story - I've printed it out to show
my wife that we're being sold a false scare story here.

Thanks for all the information. I think we'll look again at the DIY
option, though I'll probably leave it until warmer weather arrives. In
the meantime I can still check out the mains pressure to see what our
options are.

Cheers,
David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Half truth. Only one was killed. What actually happened was not a
faulty tank, but a faulty immersion heater in an entirely standard
cylinder and tank arrangement. The water boiled and was delivered up
into the roof tank which then eventually distorted/broke over the
people in the bedroom below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3035606.stm

Which if you read carefully shows the tank wasn't properly supported -
probably just resting on joists, and the thermostat wasn't BS marked.
They'd also heard the water boiling before but done nothing about it -
which seems madness given they'd got children.

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
Or maybe he was backing up
his story that it'll be difficult to support the cold tank properly in
the loft,

It's only a question of boarding underneath it with something other than
chipboard in most cases.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Half truth. Only one was killed. What actually happened was not a
faulty tank, but a faulty immersion heater in an entirely standard
cylinder and tank arrangement. The water boiled and was delivered up
into the roof tank which then eventually distorted/broke over the
people in the bedroom below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3035606.stm

Which if you read carefully shows the tank wasn't properly supported -
probably just resting on joists, and the thermostat wasn't BS marked.
They'd also heard the water boiling before but done nothing about it -
which seems madness given they'd got children.

Almost as mad as not servicing a boiler for 12 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Richard Conway wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I thought you already had a working boiler

or an unvented system with the tank
elsewhere entirely (garage?).

why would you pay him money to convert your system to a less reliable
unvented one?

He also said there'd been a case where a
faulty immersion heater on a HWC in a loft had melted the cold storage
tank, which burst and killed the people in the bedroom below.

So now a plumber has said "putting everything in the loft is a BAD
IDEA" my wife is dead against it.

people are too easily swayed by bs.

A new system isn't totally out of the question - the current boiler is
working but 25 years old. However, we'd intended to keep it until it
died,

that would seem logical! All you need is to move the tank (probably
replacing it). Worst case you may need to add a pump as well, making
the HW pumped.

NT

New central heating system sam UK diy 17 January 13th 05 06:16 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM