Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

Default Moving hot water cylinder, maybe into loft, maybe removing chimney

wrote:
However, apart from the existing cylinder being of unknown quality and
uninsulated (though it would be easy enough to add bags of insulation
and a makeshift box for it in the loft), it make be more work to move
it. Buying a new cylinder, putting it in the loft, getting all the pipe
work in place, and _then_ just joining a few pipes on "D-day" sounds
easier (and less likely to leave us without heating for days if it all
goes wrong) than having to move the existing cylinder. I've only got to
drop it or split it on that day, and we're stuffed. Without heating. In
December!

Not a bad plan - you could get the immersion up and running and do the
hot water changeover in advance, meaning you just have to change the
heating plumbing over on "D-day".