Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Data Recovery

Someone was looking for data recovery software a while back. There
is a very good program available free for one day at Glarysoft's give
away site. 5-8-14 Snag it if you can now because there's no telling when
it will be offered again. ^_^

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/grtdatarecoveryv2.1-778/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Someone was looking for data recovery software a while back. There
is a very good program available free for one day at Glarysoft's give
away site. 5-8-14 Snag it if you can now because there's no telling
when it will be offered again. ^_^

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/grtdatarecoveryv2.1-778/

TDD

Got it , because you just never know . Thanks !
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Someone was looking for data recovery software a while back. There
is a very good program available free for one day at Glarysoft's give
away site. 5-8-14 Snag it if you can now because there's no telling
when it will be offered again. ^_^

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/grtdatarecoveryv2.1-778/

TDD

Got it , because you just never know . Thanks !
--

did you get a registration key? When I clicked in the program to get a
registration key, they wanted payment of $15 or so. I sent them an e-mail

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 May 2014 01:52:11 -0700, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Someone was looking for data recovery software a while back. There
is a very good program available free for one day at Glarysoft's give
away site. 5-8-14 Snag it if you can now because there's no telling when
it will be offered again. ^_^

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/grtdatarecoveryv2.1-778/

TDD

Thanks, and happy 'birthday'
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

Someone was looking for data recovery software a while back. There
is a very good program available free for one day at Glarysoft's give
away site. 5-8-14 Snag it if you can now because there's no telling
when it will be offered again. ^_^

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/grtdatarecoveryv2.1-778/

TDD

Thanks, and happy 'birthday'

Just noticed in the comments after there's at least one or two
indications may be contaminated download w/ a positive virus scan...

Might pay to be extra cautious...then again being a recovery app it's
possible it is a false positive given the nature of the beast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Someone was looking for data recovery software a while back. There
is a very good program available free for one day at Glarysoft's
give away site. 5-8-14 Snag it if you can now because there's no
telling when it will be offered again. ^_^

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/grtdatarecoveryv2.1-778/

TDD

Got it , because you just never know . Thanks !
--

did you get a registration key? When I clicked in the program to get
a registration key, they wanted payment of $15 or so. I sent them an
e-mail and will see if I get a reply.

Did you look at the readme included with that download ? There's a key
there , probably one that identifies the user as one that got the free
download . It also says you have to activate it before the giveaway period
is over . Bet a lot of folks did like me , got it with the idea of sitting
on it until I need it . Now I need to ddecide whether to go ahead and load
it , anand decide if I want to do it on all my comps . Thing is , I've never
needed a program of this type , and I'm not so sure there isn't a hook
somewhere in there ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alrighty kids , this program is a carrier for Win32/PolyCrpt.dropper.
which installs from the www.securelist.com website
a.. Backdoor.Win32.Swz.hb

Ensures subsequent autorun of installed files:

by writing to autorun keys in the system registry

Injects its code into the specific processes

Adds the following programs to the list of trusted applications:

Connects to specific Internet addresses

Creates unique identifiers to flag its presence in the system

I'll be deleting this file w/out installing . Y'all have been warned ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news

Alrighty kids , this program is a carrier for Win32/PolyCrpt.dropper.
which installs from the www.securelist.com website
a.. Backdoor.Win32.Swz.hb

Ensures subsequent autorun of installed files:

by writing to autorun keys in the system registry

Injects its code into the specific processes

Adds the following programs to the list of trusted applications:

Connects to specific Internet addresses

Creates unique identifiers to flag its presence in the system

and to think some people are opposed to the death penalty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 May 2014 11:15:18 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Alrighty kids , this program is a carrier for Win32/PolyCrpt.dropper.
which installs from the www.securelist.com website
a.. Backdoor.Win32.Swz.hb

That's one of the reasons I stay away from these daily free offer
sites. I can find other programs that are free and do not require one
to jump through hoops to register, have limitations, etc. I can find
programs in other places. Some are open source and free to the public.
Just me, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Alrighty kids , this program is a carrier for
Win32/PolyCrpt.dropper. which installs from the
www.securelist.com
website a.. Backdoor.Win32.Swz.hb

Ensures subsequent autorun of installed files:

by writing to autorun keys in the system registry

Injects its code into the specific processes

Adds the following programs to the list of trusted applications:

Connects to specific Internet addresses

Creates unique identifiers to flag its presence in the system

I'll be deleting this file w/out installing . Y'all have been
warned ...

Are you sure this is loaded in this program? I did install it, my
virus scanner was OK with it and I do not find any of the indications
of it that are described on a couple security sites (nothing strange
in the "run" entries of the registry etc)

I got the information from the comments on the free site . I don't pretend
to know much about registry stuff , but I do know I don't play around there
..
--
Snag

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
wrote:

Alrighty kids , this program is a carrier for Win32/PolyCrpt.dropper.
which installs from the
Securelist - Information about Viruses, Hackers and Spam website
a.. Backdoor.Win32.Swz.hb

Ensures subsequent autorun of installed files:

by writing to autorun keys in the system registry

Injects its code into the specific processes

Adds the following programs to the list of trusted applications:

Connects to specific Internet addresses

Creates unique identifiers to flag its presence in the system

I'll be deleting this file w/out installing . Y'all have been warned ...
I downloaded the "grtdatarecoveryv2.1.zip" file onto my business computer's C:\Download folder and then copied it to a USB memory card. I put that USB memory card into a USB slot on my web surfing computer and used the 7-Zip freeware program to unzip the installation program onto my surfing computer's desk top. I then executed the installation program and it told me I had to register the product before the free download period was over. It also gave me a twenty-something alphanumeric code, which I presumed was the registration code. It told me to register the product, so I connected to the internet and hit the "Register" button on the running program. I think I registered the program correctly. I then tried to use the GRT Data Recovery program to re-recover the files I had on a corrupted USB drive I had talked about in here earlier in the month.

The GRT Data Recovery program told me that the USB memory card I had with the corrupted FAT was a 0 Megabyte disk and it couldn't find ANY files on it at all.

I never unzipped the GRT Data Recovery Installation program in my business computer. I only downloaded the grtdatarecoveryv2.1.zip file, copied that file to another USB memory stick and used that memory stick to load the .zip file onto my surfing computer. And, everything else I did was on the surfing computer.

If this program carries a virus, is it possible that I now have a virus on my business computer? Or, would I have had to have unzipped the program and/or run the installation program on my business computer before there was any risk of getting a virus on my business computer?

Senior Member

In the ReadMe file in the GRT Data Recovery folder in the Programs folder, it says:

REGISTRATION
In order to register please do the following
- select Register menu item from (Help) menu
- In the dialog window insert registration code into Serial number field and click Ok button

I have my registration code, but I can't find a Help menu anywhere.

Does anyone know where that Help menu is supposed to be?

The program executable doesn't have any tool bar at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Someone was looking for data recovery software a while back. There
is a very good program available free for one day at Glarysoft's give
away site. 5-8-14 Snag it if you can now because there's no telling when
it will be offered again. ^_^

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/grtdatarecoveryv2.1-778/

TDD

The sites I regularly use for downloading and installing give away
software are Give Away Of The Day and Glarysoft's give away site. I'v
had no problems with software from either site because the people who
run them have a good reputation and scan for malware anything they
offer. If something were wrong, they would immediately take it down and
let everyone know. I have seen false positives for a virus in a lot
software especially if it must get into system files in order to
function. I just downloaded and installed the software which updated the
version that I already have. I have other GRT software on my system and
have never had a problem with it. I just did a deep scan with Avast
Antivirus and IObit Malware Fighter and there was no threat detected. I
do trust the the two sites I use and install their offerings on multiple
computers which are running different brands of antimalware software.
Glarysoft actually produces system cleaning software so I doubt they
would offer anything infected with a virus. ^_^

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2014 11:15 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Alrighty kids , this program is a carrier for Win32/PolyCrpt.dropper.
which installs from the www.securelist.com website
a.. Backdoor.Win32.Swz.hb

Ensures subsequent autorun of installed files:

by writing to autorun keys in the system registry

Injects its code into the specific processes

Adds the following programs to the list of trusted applications:

Connects to specific Internet addresses

Creates unique identifiers to flag its presence in the system

I'll be deleting this file w/out installing . Y'all have been warned ...

I didn't have the same experience as you had. I have a pretty well
locked down system with antivirus and antimalware software. I ran a
check with another antimalware/antivirus software after reading your
post. The software is "Malwarebytes". When I ran it, the scan showed
everything I knew was on my system such as a key-logger that I purposely
installed. There were all sorts of other things that I either used like
some nefarious hacking tools or stuff I already have blocked. If you're
interested, I'm posting the link to their site. ^_^

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

https://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/...FexZ7AodrXwAeQ

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Alrighty kids , this program is a carrier for Win32/PolyCrpt.dropper.
which installs from the www.securelist.com website
a.. Backdoor.Win32.Swz.hb

That's one of the reasons I stay away from these daily free offer
sites. I can find other programs that are free and do not require one
to jump through hoops to register, have limitations, etc. I can find
programs in other places. Some are open source and free to the public.
Just me, though.

I've had no problem with the software from Give Away Of The Day or
Glarysoft's give away site. I have had false positive virus scans from
all sorts of system tools because those applications access the deeper
levels of the operating system. The fact that an antivirus/antimalware
app displays an alarm for a software application that is harmless is a
good thing because it lets you know it's working. You can always submit
the suspicious exe's and DLL's to several sites that catalog virus and
malware software. The sites are not "hacker or cracked software" sites
where there is software that often has malicious content added in to the
program. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Someone was looking for data recovery software a while back. There
is a very good program available free for one day at Glarysoft's give
away site. 5-8-14 Snag it if you can now because there's no telling
when it will be offered again. ^_^

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/grtdatarecoveryv2.1-778/

TDD

Thanks, and happy 'birthday'

Just noticed in the comments after there's at least one or two
indications may be contaminated download w/ a positive virus scan...

Might pay to be extra cautious...then again being a recovery app it's
possible it is a false positive given the nature of the beast.

--

The site is run by a software developer with a good reputation and scans
anything they offer as a giveaway. It's not unusual for some software to

TDD
Senior Member

Yeah, that pretty much sounds like the steps I took, too.

My problem with this software is that I KNOW that I have a corrupted USB flash memory drive and there are two trial data recovery programs that DID find the files I'd thought I'd lost. This program not only couldn't find them, it couldn't even tell that it was a 4GB USB flash memory drive. It reported to me that it was a 0 MB USB flash memory drive, whatever that means.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I can agree. I'm just saying I'm cautious. I've posted links here
that folks say they got a virus alert (twice) and Bob F claimed he
spent hours fixing his system. Others here said the links worked for
them and no alerts for the same link. Bob F never said how his system
works or if he allows cross link scripting.

I've put software on that folks say have cooties. They worked for me
and are cootie free. False Cootie Alerts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

I have Malwarebytes free version on all my comps .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/lightbeam/

I don't accept cookies so it goes dark on me

Hey little boy, would you like a cookie? Come over here if you want a
cookie. Muhahahah! ^_^

TDD

Oh, no! Dufas has gone to the dark side,
he's giving candy to strange kids.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Someone was looking for data recovery software a while back. There
is a very good program available free for one day at Glarysoft's give
away site. 5-8-14 Snag it if you can now because there's no telling
when it will be offered again. ^_^

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/grtdatarecoveryv2.1-778/

TDD

Got it , because you just never know . Thanks !

Hi,
Some run things without scheduled back up? Dumb idea.

OT data recovery Karl Townsend Metalworking 26 June 18th 12 04:56 AM
iCare data recovery geoff UK diy 7 November 30th 11 01:41 PM
Data Recovery on a USB Stick Zen83237 UK diy 13 June 4th 11 02:23 AM
Data Recovery [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 May 3rd 05 03:46 PM
HDD Repairing and Data Recovery David Electronics Repair 0 April 11th 05 07:47 AM