nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Thu, 8 May 2014 11:15:18 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Alrighty kids , this program is a carrier for Win32/PolyCrpt.dropper.
which installs from the
Securelist - Information about Viruses, Hackers and Spam website
a.. Backdoor.Win32.Swz.hb

Ensures subsequent autorun of installed files:

by writing to autorun keys in the system registry

Injects its code into the specific processes

Adds the following programs to the list of trusted applications:

Connects to specific Internet addresses

Creates unique identifiers to flag its presence in the system

I'll be deleting this file w/out installing . Y'all have been warned ...
I downloaded the "grtdatarecoveryv2.1.zip" file onto my business computer's C:\Download folder and then copied it to a USB memory card. I put that USB memory card into a USB slot on my web surfing computer and used the 7-Zip freeware program to unzip the installation program onto my surfing computer's desk top. I then executed the installation program and it told me I had to register the product before the free download period was over. It also gave me a twenty-something alphanumeric code, which I presumed was the registration code. It told me to register the product, so I connected to the internet and hit the "Register" button on the running program. I think I registered the program correctly. I then tried to use the GRT Data Recovery program to re-recover the files I had on a corrupted USB drive I had talked about in here earlier in the month.

The GRT Data Recovery program told me that the USB memory card I had with the corrupted FAT was a 0 Megabyte disk and it couldn't find ANY files on it at all.

I never unzipped the GRT Data Recovery Installation program in my business computer. I only downloaded the grtdatarecoveryv2.1.zip file, copied that file to another USB memory stick and used that memory stick to load the .zip file onto my surfing computer. And, everything else I did was on the surfing computer.

If this program carries a virus, is it possible that I now have a virus on my business computer? Or, would I have had to have unzipped the program and/or run the installation program on my business computer before there was any risk of getting a virus on my business computer?