Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden hose connections

How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two, the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40 or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two, the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40 or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

Well, a little coating of oil probably would not hurt. Primary concern,
have both parts free of grit and sand when you screw them together.
Much better, put a "quick connect" on them and you won't have to
screw/unscrew. Picture he

http://www.lowes.com/pd_228724-306-09QCGF_4294612474__?productId=3103555&Ns=p_product _qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_prod uct_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

I have a gob of them, attached to faucets, hose, and connections for my
pond pump. No other way, IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2014 10:28 AM, Norminn wrote:
On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two, the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40 or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

Well, a little coating of oil probably would not hurt. Primary concern,
have both parts free of grit and sand when you screw them together. Much
better, put a "quick connect" on them and you won't have to
screw/unscrew. Picture he

http://www.lowes.com/pd_228724-306-09QCGF_4294612474__?productId=3103555&Ns=p_product _qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_prod uct_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

I have a gob of them, attached to faucets, hose, and connections for my
pond pump. No other way, IMO.

I was hoping someone would know. I seldom leave
couplings connected, here. My first thoughts were
marine grease, or Neversieze.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two, the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40 or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

I'd think that anti-seize compound would work. Loctite is probably the
most common brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/06/2014 10:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two, the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40 or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

I'd think that anti-seize compound would work. Loctite is probably the
most common brand.

I wonder if the water has a lot of minerals in it?
My cheap $5 hoses last at least ten years.

Though it's easy enough to replace the fittings it's not really worth doing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 May 2014 13:22:47 GMT, KenK wrote:

How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two, the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40 or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

Go to Lee Valley and buy their good brass quick-connects. Expensive
but worth every cent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 May 2014 17:49:08 GMT, KenK wrote:

(Dan.Espen) wrote in :

writes:

On 6 May 2014 13:22:47 GMT, KenK wrote:

How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two,

the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40

or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

We have well water here that is tough on metal. I usually cut the
connectors off and replace them with plastic as soon as they start
getting nasty.

Best answer so far.

I find the plastic connectors are pretty cheap, don't corrode and
get hard to open, and seal well. It's really easy to just cut off
the old connector and clamp on a plastic one.

They also make those quick connect things, but the few I've had
have been a bit difficult to operate.

I was just about to post the same thing. I use a garden hose to feed my
evaporative cooler. I just replaced the hose (old one springing leaks
most evey day) and had a hard tome getting the old hose off the adapter
to the cooler water fitting. I made an adapter with two plastic
connectors and a few inches of hose ($3.50 total) to isolate the new
hose from the adapter. I expect no problem removing it. Very easy to
mount on hose - the metal ones require a screwdriver and cost $1 more.

Just keep in mind they snap easily. Today I dropped the hose nozzle
and it snapped. Second time I did that.
If I see brass I'd pay extra for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(Dan.Espen) wrote in :

writes:

[...]

I invariably step on those metal hose ends.
Put one out of round and they're useless.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan.Espen wrote:

....snip...

I invariably step on those metal hose ends.
Put one out of round and they're useless.

Just step on the mating end with the same force.

Screwing 2 ovals together is pretty easy. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2014 1:18 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:
writes:

On 6 May 2014 13:22:47 GMT, KenK wrote:

How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two, the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40 or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

We have well water here that is tough on metal. I usually cut the
connectors off and replace them with plastic as soon as they start
getting nasty.

Best answer so far.

I find the plastic connectors are pretty cheap, don't corrode and
get hard to open, and seal well. It's really easy to just cut off
the old connector and clamp on a plastic one.

They also make those quick connect things, but the few I've had
have been a bit difficult to operate.

I've replaced hose fittings with new plastic, which I consider junk. My
new-last-year yard has taken a lot of work in landscaping and caring for
artificial pond. Our water has a huge amount of iron, and when the
outdoor connection (on hose reel) leaked a lot, the connections got
pretty nasty. I took off the reel-to-faucet connector, soaked the
fittings in CLR, and....voila! Then, for that particular PIA, I'm going
to put it on quick connects and seal them up with silicone caulk. I
have 100' of hose to haul around for various projects, and I am
meticulous in making sure I don't screw together any fittings with sand
on or in them; those don't leak.

After I get the veggie garden planted, I'll be making some concrete
stepping stones shaped like grape leaves, and put a few along the
concrete edging I make for flower beds. Google maps will think there is
a Jack-in-the-beanstalk down here ;o)
Posted to alt.home.repair

(Dan.Espen) wrote in :

writes:

[...]

The ones from Lee valey don't need a screw driver but cost more than
a dollar more --
Posted to alt.home.repair

(Dan.Espen) wrote in :

writes:

[...]

Which is why I like the "full flow" brass ones from Lee Valley.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Dan.Espen) wrote in :

writes:

[...]

Which is why I put the brass quick connects on them. Don't bend.
Don't crack, haven't corroded yet, easy to connect and disconnect
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...
On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two, the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40 or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

Well, a little coating of oil probably would not hurt. Primary concern,
have both parts free of grit and sand when you screw them together. Much
better, put a "quick connect" on them and you won't have to
screw/unscrew. Picture he

http://www.lowes.com/pd_228724-306-09QCGF_4294612474__?productId=3103555&Ns=p_product _qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_prod uct_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

I have a gob of them, attached to faucets, hose, and connections for my
pond pump. No other way, IMO.

I agree. Was watching Shark Tank one night. The guy who invented those
got a deal on the tank. Wasn't long and they were on the shelf @ Lowes.
One of the better inventions this day and age.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim K wrote:
"Norminn" wrote in message
m...
On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

How long has that program been on? I've been using fittings compatible with
those for 20 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two,
the connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using
WD-40 or other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

I'd think that anti-seize compound would work. Loctite is probably
the most common brand.

Couldn't help but note : Now that's a real oxymoron

loctite anti-sieze

almost as good as military intelligence or honest politician or junbo
shrimp g

Good suggestion.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo* wrote in :

I wonder if the water has a lot of minerals in it?

Yes. Well water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
How long has that program been on? I've been using fittings compatible
with those for 20 years.

It's on an hour on Friday nights, so I guess it's on for an hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2014 12:23 PM, KenK wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

I'd think that anti-seize compound would work. Loctite is probably
the most common brand.

Couldn't help but note : Now that's a real oxymoron

loctite anti-sieze

almost as good as military intelligence or honest politician or junbo
shrimp g

Good suggestion.

Thanks.

As the son of an editor, I usually catch
things like this. Good one, you are spot
on.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Bob F" wrote in message
Jim K wrote:
"Norminn" wrote in message
m...
On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

I have been using Gardena snap fittings for decades. I don't know if it is
sold in the US, as it is an European product and has been sold in Canada
since the 1970s. They do wear out and have to be replaced if left outdoors
for years, but I have some that are 30 years old in use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
I agree. Was watching Shark Tank one night. The guy who invented
those got a deal on the tank. Wasn't long and they were on the
shelf @ Lowes. One of the better inventions this day and age.

How long has that program been on? I've been using fittings
compatible with those for 20 years.

I have been using Gardena snap fittings for decades. I don't know if
it is sold in the US, as it is an European product and has been sold
in Canada since the 1970s. They do wear out and have to be replaced
if left outdoors for years, but I have some that are 30 years old in
use.

I have the brass Nelson fittings, which pass a lot more water than the plastic
ones I've seen. I did have to find a place to order replacement seals for a few
of them once, but other than that they seem to last forever. They seem to be
perfectly compatible with the Gilmore ones listed by Norminn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two,
the connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using
WD-40 or other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

I'd think that anti-seize compound would work. Loctite is probably
the most common brand.

Looked at Walmart Saturday but no success. Plenty of Loctite stuff but
no anti-seize. Looked in automotive, plumbing and tool departments.
Another department? Another store?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 May 2014 16:17:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
m:

On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two,
the connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using
WD-40 or other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

I'd think that anti-seize compound would work. Loctite is probably
the most common brand.

Looked at Walmart Saturday but no success. Plenty of Loctite stuff but
no anti-seize. Looked in automotive, plumbing and tool departments.
Another department? Another store?

Any auto parts store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:
How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two,
the connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using
WD-40 or other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

I'd think that anti-seize compound would work. Loctite is probably
the most common brand.

Looked at Walmart Saturday but no success. Plenty of Loctite stuff but
no anti-seize. Looked in automotive, plumbing and tool departments.
Another department? Another store?

TIA

Henkel Loctite brand is one of the most common brands of anti-seize
available to and used by the automotive trade as well as most
industrial mechanics - available from any good automotive or
industrial supplier. Try Grainger.

The other common brand is Permatex.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2014 12:17 PM, KenK wrote:
Looked at Walmart Saturday but no success. Plenty of Loctite stuff but
no anti-seize. Looked in automotive, plumbing and tool departments.
Another department? Another store?

TIA

I didn't find a match on Harbor Freight. But,
most auto parts near me have some. Small tube,
or jar with brush in the lid.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2014 10:17 AM, KenK wrote:

Looked at Walmart Saturday but no success. Plenty of Loctite stuff but
no anti-seize. Looked in automotive, plumbing and tool departments.
Another department? Another store?

http://smile.amazon.com/Loctite-3753.../dp/B0006Q7H2M
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I didn't have antiseize handy I always used a bit of moly grease, seemed to work as well.

But recently I've heard people using Teflon tape instead of antiseize and it sounds like a good idea.

I never like to tighten any type of fastener dry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote in
:

But recently I've heard people using Teflon tape instead of antiseize
and it sounds like a good idea.

Hmmm. Great, if it works! It would also seal the connection, another
common fault with some screw-on connections.

In my recent rehosing of my swamp cooler water supply I had to replace
the garden hose supplying the water because it kept developing new major
leaks. A few years ago I had problems with the threads leaking at the
connection between the old hose and the adapter to the copper tubing
connector to the cooler. I used teflon tape then to cure that problem. I
noted when I recently changed hoses that I could remove the old hose at
that teflon point with only a little trouble. I had written it off to
chance but as you mentioned, perhaps it was the teflon tape. I may just
do that to all the new cooler hose connections and skip the no-seize.

Garden hose MiamiCuse Home Repair 22 July 16th 09 05:13 AM
Best Garden Hose Wayne Boatwright[_4_] Home Repair 17 May 23rd 09 07:25 PM
Appliance Hose Connections MLS Home Repair 21 February 3rd 09 06:42 PM
Hose adapter - Facuet to Garden Hose? MP Home Repair 7 July 26th 07 02:43 AM
Air Hose as Garden Hose?? Derek Metalworking 11 March 23rd 05 09:25 AM