Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan.Espen Dan.Espen is offline

Default Garden hose connections

Vic Smith writes:

On 6 May 2014 17:49:08 GMT, KenK wrote:

(Dan.Espen) wrote in :

writes:

On 6 May 2014 13:22:47 GMT, KenK wrote:

How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two,

the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40

or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

We have well water here that is tough on metal. I usually cut the
connectors off and replace them with plastic as soon as they start
getting nasty.

Best answer so far.

I find the plastic connectors are pretty cheap, don't corrode and
get hard to open, and seal well. It's really easy to just cut off
the old connector and clamp on a plastic one.

They also make those quick connect things, but the few I've had
have been a bit difficult to operate.

I was just about to post the same thing. I use a garden hose to feed my
evaporative cooler. I just replaced the hose (old one springing leaks
most evey day) and had a hard tome getting the old hose off the adapter
to the cooler water fitting. I made an adapter with two plastic
connectors and a few inches of hose ($3.50 total) to isolate the new
hose from the adapter. I expect no problem removing it. Very easy to
mount on hose - the metal ones require a screwdriver and cost $1 more.

Just keep in mind they snap easily. Today I dropped the hose nozzle
and it snapped. Second time I did that.
If I see brass I'd pay extra for that.

I invariably step on those metal hose ends.
Put one out of round and they're useless.

--
Dan Espen